New Asus BIOS 3202 - any experiences? Improved stability for RAM overclocks?

seward

n00b
I've got an Asus Prime B550-PLUS motherboard with an AMD Ryzen 5 5600G apu and 2x16GB of G Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16. I've been working on overclocking the RAM, with 4000 as my target. The RAM passes 3+ hours of OCCT stress testing at 4000 (after getting through memtest86 at stock), which is cool, but the board seems to have a hard time holding on to voltages and timings when speed and voltage go up, even on setting that pass stress-testing...no glitching, blue screens or crashing in desktop, or other performance-related symptoms, but changes in BIOS don't always stick. (The board has performed very, very well aside from this issue.)

I've done a little bit of research on the matter, and it sounds like this may be an issue for other Asus board owners as well (not just Asus Prime). I've also learned that there's a recently-released BIOS for my board (v. 3202, released 8/2/23), and "improved stability" is supposedly one of its benefits. So I'm wondering, as one does, if that might include improved stability for RAM settings. Has anyone updated to this BIOS yet? Any outstanding experiences, good or bad, perhaps related to memory settings? Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
To open this question up a bit more, you should primarily refer to the AGESA version included rather than a specific bios. Then other people can give input across other motherboard vendors and models. Often all AM4 motherboards exhibit similar behavior on the same AGESA version (but not always of course).

For reference OP is referring to ComboV2PI 1.2.0.A.

To open this question up a bit more, you should primarily refer to the AGESA version included rather than a specific bios. Then other people can give input across other motherboard vendors and models. Often all AM4 motherboards exhibit similar behavior on the same AGESA version (but not always of course).

For reference OP is referring to ComboV2PI 1.2.0.A.

That's a very good point, I hadn't realized that this release is related to the recent AGESA update. Does AGESA include most/all of most AMD boards' Advanced settings, or is it just the settings included under AMD Overclocking (and maybe AMD CBS)?

edit: I'm actually undecided whether to stick to Asus' AI Tweaker, or the AMD Overclocking section. I mostly use the Asus AI Tweaker, but there's at least one setting that I use in AMD Overclocking (PBO/Enable, I also set it in AI Tweaker).

Last edited:
edit: I'm actually undecided whether to stick to Asus' AI Tweaker, or the AMD Overclocking section. I mostly use the Asus AI Tweaker, but there's at least one setting that I use in AMD Overclocking (PBO/Enable, I also set it in AI Tweaker).
How has ASUS AI Tweaker worked out for you? Good overlocks while stable? Do you need further manual adjustments?

How has ASUS AI Tweaker worked out for you? Good overlocks while stable? Do you need further manual adjustments?

I've found that, on my Asus Prime B550-PLUS, AI Tweaker settings are more stable than AMD Overclocking settings. That includes cpu and memory overclocks. Having said that, I haven't spent as much time with AMD Overclocking as I have with AI Tweaker.

Honestly, I just want whichever one I use to hold on to timings and volts when my RAM speed gets closer to 4000. Neither one has been ideal in that regard. I think that my board is as much of a factor as either of those BIOS.

There is no difference on my Asus B550M regarding RAM. Still have problems with legit Crucial 3200 ECC on 4 slots (128GB). Running it at 2666 for safety (crashed one time on 2866). Only boots once in a while at 3200 then crashes on first occasion. Works great full speed on a Asus 520M-k 2 slots.

Back