NVME Idling at 72C

lightsout

[H]ard|Gawd
I had a cheap silicon power 1tb NVME sitting around, and my work PC has been running slow.
Setup is NZXT H200 with Asrock B450 ITX. The m2 slot is on the back of the board. There is not much clearance there.
I suppose all I can do is get a heatsink on there. The case is going to obstruct a heatsink partially. So not sure what
would be best wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts.

Attachments

• PXL_20240506_202540637.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240506_202540637.MP.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 0
Heatsink isn't going to help much if the panel is fully closed off.

Is there enough space to run an m.2 extension ribbon from there to the main chamber?

Are you opposed to drilling into the case panel above that slot to open it up to some fresh air?

Heatsink isn't going to help much if the panel is fully closed off.

Is there enough space to run an m.2 extension ribbon from there to the main chamber?

Are you opposed to drilling into the case panel above that slot to open it up to some fresh air?
Good questions, so right before I took the picture there was an SSD bracket that had two 2.5" SSD's covering up the NVME. After taking those off and "letting it breath" I am sitting at 51c with the side panel on. When I put the panel on a few minutes ago it was 48c, so we'll see how much it climbs. I wasn't aware of the ribbon extension option. That seems like a good choice if it continues to warm up.

That would be too hot for me to be comfortable with. You can typically find the temperature range in the spec sheet though. You could consider a PCIe to M.2 card to move it the front. They're $10-$20.
I have a u.2 enterprise SSD and it runs at 51c in my home server on a pcie card. It's rated to 55c in card format and 70c as U.2. It was running up to 54c and I put a 120mm fan inside pointing right at it. Dropped it 4 degrees. An M.2 970 evo 2 inches from it runs at 35-38c. Temps according to Crystaldiskinfo.

That's definitely NOT an ideal place to put a drive (of any kind)...so I will 2nd the vote for a pcie card to get it out where it can get some air flow...been there, done that, many times, works great :)

Anytime my drives (SN 850x's) get near 60c, I start watching them....fortunately, that only occurs here & there, while I am running multiple database instances or rendering complex images...most of the time they stay in the 42-52c range !

I'd honestly just 3M double sided tape a thin fan behind the board there. Just to get some air moving and it would be fine.

I like the ribbon idea, just booted up and after two minutes is 55c. not sure if it will cool down. I usually leave this rig on 24/7 but have been unwilling since I don't want it to nuke itself.

Back