Sony Xperia 1 VI

> Sony Xperia 1 VI will have Android 14 at launch and will get three Android version updates and four years of security updates.
> Will have an LTPO OLED panel that will variably adjust between 1Hz and 120Hz
> The display is now brighter - increased from 900 nits to 1,300 nits
>The 4K panel is no more, the resolution has been reduced to 1080 x 2340.
> The 21:9 aspect ratio is no more, the aspect ratio is now 19.5:9

Last edited:
Losing 21:9 was one thing but 1080P is another!
No flagship device in 2024 should be less than QHD period.
4K defined Xperia and now that's gone.
If it were $999 then maybe, but users wanting the Xperia experience weren't particularly concerned with cost.
Now if the camera is an across the board, "knock it out of the park" experience, then sure. But I don't expect that.

Never did I think a downgrade would be a welcome thing: gone is the super-tall 4K display, and a more conventional 1080p screen is in its place. It's not as brag-worthy, but let's be honest: hardly anything used 4K, the tall screen ratio hurt app compatibility, and using native 4K all the time was going to hurt battery life.

The main problem, as cpufrost pointed out, is the price. If it's anything like the Xperia 1 V, the price will be around $1,399... that's just too high for a 1080p phone whose main selling point is a 7X optical zoom (important, but not that important). Unless you really, really insist on a headphone jack and microSD, you'll probably be happier with an iPhone 15 Pro Max, Galaxy S24 Ultra, or Pixel 8 Pro.

Losing 21:9 was one thing but 1080P is another!
No flagship device in 2024 should be less than QHD period.
4K defined Xperia and now that's gone.
I fully agree with you. For me the Xperia 1 VI 1080p 396 ppi density is an unacceptable downgrade.
If it were $999 then maybe, but users wanting the Xperia experience weren't particularly concerned with cost.
Now if the camera is an across the board, "knock it out of the park" experience, then sure. But I don't expect that.
You accurately described a user wanting the Xperia experience. I previously owned the Xperia 1 IV and now own an Xperia 1 V. Both phones were inordinately priced high; but they came with flat screens, no notches or punch holes on the display, a head phone jack, SD card slot, front firing dual speakers, and they had user experience features that attracted me. I just can't see myself downgrading to a 1080 display and again paying a premium price.

Last edited:
Back