TCL CSOT unveils world’s first 4K 1000 Hz display panel

I think 1000Hz OLED will be the "endgame" in terms of motion clarity. I don't imagine we'll see anything greater than that for the rest of history. Not because you CAN'T do it, but because it's just not needed or wanted. Like in the hyper-future where people have hovercars, laser clothes and pet sapient dinosaurs, the screens will either be 1000Hz or no longer refresh in Hz.

No details available about panel type at this industry insider event but I expect this is an LCD of some type. It would probably require multiple cables even with DSC and 4:2:0 (i.e. really bad text rendering) so I would think it more a panel announcement than a monitor announcement.

No details available about panel type at this industry insider event but I expect this is an LCD of some type. It would probably require multiple cables even with DSC and 4:2:0 (i.e. really bad text rendering) so I would think it more a panel announcement than a monitor announcement.

Assuming the article is correct:

With the introduction of DSC 3.0 compression technology, the bandwidth requirement for achieving a refresh rate of 540 Hz at 1080p resolution is reduced to just 15.5 Gbit/s, well within the available bandwidth of 77.3 Gbit/s (UHBR20).

...with DSC you'd need ~115Gbps, or 2 cables without chroma subsampling.

I think 1000Hz OLED will be the "endgame" in terms of motion clarity. I don't imagine we'll see anything greater than that for the rest of history. Not because you CAN'T do it, but because it's just not needed or wanted. Like in the hyper-future where people have hovercars, laser clothes and pet sapient dinosaurs, the screens will either be 1000Hz or no longer refresh in Hz.

I vaguely recall reading that you'd need a few thousand hertz to accurately simulate CRT scanning behavior. Deep in the world of diminishing returns for sure though.

Back