Nintendo Switch Successor Dev Kit Is Reportedly in the Hands of a Spanish Studio

With how good upscaling could be by 2025, the idea that a 20w console should use its very limited resource focusing in outputting native 4k for video game seem a bit strange to me.

With how good upscaling could be by 2025, the idea that a 20w console should use its very limited resource focusing in outputting native 4k for video game seem a bit strange to me.
I could see Nvidia helping Nintendo get incredibly specific with its DLSS training, more for getting some small degree of Ray tracing done on the console though, less about 4K content.

I could see Nvidia helping Nintendo get incredibly specific with its DLSS training
I do wonder for a company like Nintendo, making exclusive for a DLSS able console, known in advance start res/output res if it would be worth it for their internal game engine to make training on them possible (say it output both the Switch frame and a 16k high texture, high rays count per pixel, etc.... count image at the same time in 2 buffer) to go around the issues of using actual game data for training.

I do wonder for a company like Nintendo, making exclusive for a DLSS able console, known in advance start res/output res if it would be worth it for their internal game engine to make training on them possible (say it output both the Switch frame and a 16k high texture, high rays count per pixel, etc.... count image at the same time in 2 buffer) to go around the issues of using actual game data for training.
There is also the fun little tidbit that UE5 is taking over as the default dev environment for the Switch from the current Unity Environment, lots of fun things in there that having access to hardware acceleration is shown to have some big improvements for.

I could see Nvidia helping Nintendo get incredibly specific with its DLSS training, more for getting some small degree of Ray tracing done on the console though, less about 4K content.
Nvidia is notorious for being complete a-holes to work with. This liketly won't ever happen.

Nvidia is notorious for being complete a-holes to work with. This liketly won't ever happen.
I am not sure if you talk with the Cyberpunk crew or Microsoft Azure that it would be their experience.

Asshole with its time to negotiate in a position of power a contract sure, notorious asshole when its time to collaborate on tech, help technical support of the sorts ? Specially if it in process it generates tech that can advantage Nvidia over the competition ?

I am not sure if you talk with the Cyberpunk crew or Microsoft Azure that it would be their experience.

Asshole with its time to negotiate in a position of power a contract sure, notorious asshole when its time to collaborate on tech, help technical support of the sorts ? Specially if it in process it generates tech that can advantage Nvidia over the competition ?
Funny you bring up Microsoft who was the first of the big 3 nvidia pissed off.

They already do.
Nvidia really isn't at all bad to work with, I've been there and done that.
The only company that had a hard time working with Nvidia was Intel of Old, which caused Microsoft headaches because Intel blamed Nvidia for things and Nvidia would turn around and say FU No this is an Intel problem, and here's why, ... only for Intel to respond with No you're not understanding us, We are Intel this is how we do this, this is your problem.
Which left Microsoft stuck in the middle of a dick-measuring contest with Investors complaining about selling hardware at a loss while Sony walked all over them.

Balmer Era Microsoft, with Arrogant top-of-their-game Intel, and tiny ass Nvidia... That was a Bermuda triangle of blame right there.

Yes when they enforced a previously signed contract by them, when Microsoft was a giant trying to bully a smaller partner out of it, if I remember correctly, which is arguable to be asshole behavior and around contract time, not the technical crew collaboration.

Not even pissed off, it was a case of Investors putting big pressure to either bring XBox to a point where the hardware broke even, cancel the project, or have the division head resign. The investors were pissed at the costs and they were not seeing close to their expected returns as Microsoft really did not take any market from Sony like they had repeatedly bragged about doing.
This left Microsoft desperate to cut costs and the GPU was the most expensive component and Intel at that time was not somebody you trifled with.
Microsoft had a signed contract for supply at a specific price for a 5 year period and Microsoft wanted to change it mid-way through because they claimed that the cost adjustment over time was not included in the contract and that Nvidia could afford to sell it cheaper because it got less costly to manufacture each year.
Nvidia said no, Microsoft and Nvidia went to arbitration where it was proven that Nvidia had worked that into the costs, with them losing money on the GPU sales in Years 1 and 2, reaching break even on 3 with profits coming in at years 4 and 5. Microsoft went on to argue that if they were losing money then Nvidia should too and that they could take payment in exposure because having their card in the console was basically a big advertising piece. Arbitration mostly sided with Nvidia they changed their break-even to year 4 and gave Microsoft enough of a bone to keep the investors happy, with some concessions on some Windows integration for other aspects.

Really that was business as usual and there weren't any hard feelings there.

IBM just came in at both Sony and Microsoft with an offer nobody could really refuse and it cut costs so much that looking at anybody else was a waste of money at that stage.

They should bring the Nintendo Wii back.
Wii 2 it's the only system that really got everyone's attention.

The WiiU was a dud and Nintendo's worst console launch since the Virtual Boy...
I am not sure what you are talking about here.

I was not sure at all, what the Wii 2 was. Wii U ?

Was it not a catastrophic failure for Nintendo with Sega Saturn type of sales numbers ? While the Switch one of the biggest success story in the history of video games, with Playstation 1-2 type of numbers ?

The original Wii was a giant success that got everyone attention, but I am not sure that those controller would have much appeal and bring attention in 2024.

Maybe it is a typo, you mean Wii it<s the only system that really got everyone's attention, a "real" Wii 2 and not a Wii U type would be what they should do ?

A second switch has been announced

GM9SiZTXEAM_ap1.jpeg

https://x.com/NintendoCoLtd/status/1787736518762881197

We will make an announcement about the successor to Nintendo Switch within this fiscal year. It will have been over nine years since we announced the existence of Nintendo Switch back in March 2015. We will be holding a Nintendo Direct this June regarding the Nintendo Switch software lineup for the latter half of 2024, but please be aware that there will be no mention of the Nintendo Switch successor during that presentation.
~Furukawa, President of Nintendo

I've been on my Switch more than anything else here lately, trying to get through ToTK and Metroid Dread & Prime Remastered. So I'm pretty excited for the next Switch, but also concerned they'll regress on some things like the display no longer being OLED or at least not offering an OLED model at launch, or supporting BT earphones that the Switch always supported but they arbitrarily didn't allow it until 4-5 years into its life cycle.

Otherwise I'm not too concerned about the specs considering what they were able to squeeze out of the existing hardware that was already a bit outdated at launch in 2017. I'm sure it will support some form of DLSS providing they're sticking with Nvidia for BC support and they have the best upscaling tech, which is crucial for power constrained mobile chips like this.

I wonder if they'll try to launch the new Switch before Christmas then if they're announcing before Oct this year. The current Switch was announced on Oct. 20 and launched on March 3. So that would be a much shorter launch window for the new one if they're trying to get it out this year, unless they announce it in July or so. I assume they'll announce in Sept right before the end of the FY.

I missed a lot of the big Switch titles this generation (still haven't played TOTK or Metroid Dread). Hoping Nintendo will release a slew of 'Player's Choice'-style lower pricing for some of their 1st party releases.

If switch 2 is backward compatible, ninty better perfect save game and digital download migration. Their “family management “ is garbage.

If switch 2 is backward compatible, ninty better perfect save game and digital download migration. Their “family management “ is garbage.
Transferring an EX GF's Animal Crossing island to an OLED switch, was one of the worst experiences I have had with game data transfer.

I missed a lot of the big Switch titles this generation (still haven't played TOTK or Metroid Dread). Hoping Nintendo will release a slew of 'Player's Choice'-style lower pricing for some of their 1st party releases.
Hah!

It's Nintendo, the best you can hope for is 10 dollars off.

Back