Not in 40+ years have I had this problem. Power switch failure.

kindasmart

[H]ard|Gawd
The physical power switch on my ASUS RT-N66U router has failed. The actual, physical switch. WTF.

Lost internet. Watched cable modem and waited for all the lights to go out. All lights remain lit. Modem A-OK. OK, what now? Maybe I should reset router. No lights on router. Wait, wat? No lights on the router, not even the power light? Waaaaaat??!!!

Tried clicking router on/off switch and it would not click-closed (in on position). I had to run a zip-tie around modem to physically keep switch closed.

This is actually a common fault with those. It happened to mine, and to one other that I've seen in person. Mine failed in the middle of the night, and since my email server is behind it and I didn't want that to be offline all night, I had to do some emergency soldering. Simply bridging the switch fixed it up, and it worked from then until I replaced it with something faster. Routers don't really need power switches anyway.

That is an unusual way to fail, especially if was sitting there untouched.

I haven't had that issue with either of mine that I've had since shortly after they launched in 2012. I just bought a couple of RT- AX88u Pros this week to replace them along with a new modem since my old modem could only handle 800Mbps of my 1.2 Gbps connection and the N66Us couldn't even handle that. I'd actually be installing them right now if amazon hadn't sent me an open box modem.

It might be time to upgrade unless you're on a slower internet plan.

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback. I guess no matter how "off the wall" an issue is it probably happened before. And might even be a common or known issue.

At least I found the issue quickly and fixed it with little trouble.

Reactions: spine
like this
Back