Ryzen 5700X3D for $200

Dang, and I thought my vanilla 5700x was a deal for 160 at MC six months ago....

If you're on AM4 and aren't interested in a platform upgrade, you really should jump on this.

If you're on AM4 and aren't interested in a platform upgrade, you really should jump on this.
My daughter's PC that I'm building her from old parts has a 3900X in it. She will really have no use for any high horsepower CPU. It would be nice to get that upgraded to Zen 3 I guess. I wonder what I could sell the 3900X for...

My daughter's PC that I'm building her from old parts has a 3900X in it. She will really have no use for any high horsepower CPU. It would be nice to get that upgraded to Zen 3 I guess. I wonder what I could sell the 3900X for...
I’d offer it here for 20-30 bucks less than eBay or so. I enjoy selling and buying from [H], I’ve always had great exchanges over the years. There are plenty of people running older hardware here who may be interested.

Hmm, not sure it'd be worth replacing my son's 5600X with, which I got off FSFT for $120 a year ago now to replace his 2600. I'm pretty sure that money would be better spent replacing his 2080, which is still working good for him at 1080p UW.

I have my old work computer with a 3700x that I use for a Plex server. Would upgrading to this help out with Plex or not really aimed at that application.

I have my old work computer with a 3700x that I use for a Plex server. Would upgrading to this help out with Plex or not really aimed at that application.
Well, The ipc bump will help a bit. But if you're just running that and similar on that machine. I would look to throw a 5800x in there for a higher uplift, Thanks to ipc and higher clocks. Although in your case a 5900x could be a good choice too.

Hmm, not sure it'd be worth replacing my son's 5600X with, which I got off FSFT for $120 a year ago now to replace his 2600. I'm pretty sure that money would be better spent replacing his 2080, which is still working good for him at 1080p UW.
I agree, A 3080 would be a good upgrade for it. Though at 1080p you'll still see a nice jump with just the 5700x3d.

I agree, A 3080 would be a good upgrade for it. Though at 1080p you'll still see a nice jump with just the 5700x3d.
Well I'm not sure he even noticed the upgrade from his 2600 to the 5600X, which is a huge upgrade on paper, so I think this would be lost on him, lol. He mostly plays older games anyways (TF2, Company of Heros, Minecraft, Rainbox Six Siege, etc.), aside from Helldivers 2 recently.

Well, The ipc bump will help a bit. But if you're just running that and similar on that machine. I would look to throw a 5800x in there for a higher uplift, Thanks to ipc and higher clocks. Although in your case a 5900x could be a good choice too.

Yeah, for any non-gaming use, the non-X3D chips would be a better fit and perform marginally better. I would only get a X3D chip for gaming specifically, and the X chips for any productivity or workload uses.

I just wish heat output was lower. Its still 105 watt part. My current 5L ITX build I don't think could handle the heat. Currently 5600X is doing just fine.

Nice upgrade for someone still rocking AM4!

If you are transcoding on the CPU, you should be looking at more cores. And no, the cache doesn't make much a difference for transcoding.

A better move would be to pick up an Intel A380 and utilize Intel's latest encoders.

There would be no functional difference in game, between a 5600x and a 5700X3D, with an RTX 2080. 5600x maxes out a 2080 in all scenarios.

Last edited:
This question can't be answered without more information. How many of your clients direct play (which doesn't really tax the CPU) vs transcode? The files that are being transcoded, what resolution and encoding are they? How many simultaneous streams do you encounter? Does the 3700x get pegged near 100% utilization frequently?

For most environments, a 3700x should be fine unless you have a lot of 4K transcodes going on at the same time.

for Plex your much better off with a 35-45 watt CPU and get a cheap Intel arc card for transcoding. way more efficient
I appreciate the advice, I have the CPU but I think I will order the A380. Now what to do with the 1080Ti :|

A friend of mine retired his X470 system and gave it to me. Has a 2700X in it. Was thinking about Black Friday/Cyber Monday for 5700X3D or 5800X3D, but why wait with a price like this? Unless y'allz think it might go even lower this November...

A friend of mine retired his X470 system and gave it to me. Has a 2700X in it. Was thinking about Black Friday/Cyber Monday for 5700X3D or 5800X3D, but why wait with a price like this? Unless y'allz think it might go even lower this November...
Nah, just jump on this now IMO. 5800X3D is peak AM4 for gaming, but negligibly so ahead of this being next in line. I say that as a 5800X3D user as well, which also replaced a 2700X about a year ago.

Nah, just jump on this now IMO. 5800X3D is peak AM4 for gaming, but negligibly so ahead of this being next in line. I say that as a 5800X3D user as well, which also replaced a 2700X about a year ago.
agreed 5700x3d is the perfect upgrade

It's actually $205 now on Amazon as well, an extra $5 off (sold & shipped by Amazon.com) but it looks like delivery takes a few weeks. Worth it IMHO.

There is a new seller called EDPT LLC selling for $184.90, I would avoid that as it is most likely a scam.

It's actually $205 now on Amazon as well, an extra $5 off (sold & shipped by Amazon.com) but it looks like delivery takes a few weeks. Worth it IMHO.

There is a new seller called EDPT LLC selling for $184.90, I would avoid that as it is most likely a scam.
I bought on Friday and delivery was estimated for Monday the 27th. However, yesterday, the delivery date changed to the 25th.

That's months away. Even if it drops $50, the gaming you could do by then, is worth getting it now, IMO.

There would be no functional difference in game, between a 5600x and a 5700X3D, with an RTX 2080. 5600x maxes out a 2080 in all scenarios.
I don't completely agree with that. I 'upgraded' from a 5900X to a 5800X3D when I had a 2080Ti and there was a noticeable uplift in more games than you might expect at 3440x1440. Obviously it depends on the game but the X3D improved the minimum framerates for me by quite a large margin in some cases.

I don't completely agree with that. I 'upgraded' from a 5900X to a 5800X3D when I had a 2080Ti and there was a noticeable uplift in more games than you might expect at 3440x1440. Obviously it depends on the game but the X3D improved the minimum framerates for me by quite a large margin in some cases.
2080 ti is quite a bit more powerful than a 2080. Techpowerup has it at 21% faster in relative performance, for 1080p. 23% for 1440p. 30% for 4k.

I just wish heat output was lower. Its still 105 watt part. My current 5L ITX build I don't think could handle the heat. Currently 5600X is doing just fine.
I believe lowering the voltages has helped curb heat and I think you can set it to a lower TDP, the X3D chips do very well even at 65 watt TDP for gaming.

I believe lowering the voltages has helped curb heat and I think you can set it to a lower TDP, the X3D chips do very well even at 65 watt TDP for gaming.

These don't use a lot of power in gaming, at stock, anyway.

1716322853692.png

Hi all, Amazon has 5800X3D right now for $238, so both the 5700X3D and 5800X3D are great last upgrades for AM4 Gaming PC's! This is Peak AM4! Get them while they last at such cheaper prices brand new!

Hi all, Amazon has 5800X3D right now for $238, so both the 5700X3D and 5800X3D are great last upgrades for AM4 Gaming PC's! This is Peak AM4! Get them while they last at such cheaper prices brand new!
I'm showing 304.12 for 5800x3d right now.

2080 ti is quite a bit more powerful than a 2080. Techpowerup has it at 21% faster in relative performance, for 1080p. 23% for 1440p. 30% for 4k.
As stated, depends on the game. RTS and simulation games tend to be heavily CPU reliant.

Back