Logitech G5: Feet wearing down?

ogewo

n00b
I have had mouse feet wear down in the past, but that stopped when I started using teflon tape (mouse skatez). The G5's feet are too big to tape and I'm concerned they'll get worn down or worn unevenly and the mouse will become tilty.

Has this happened to anyone? Anyone notice any kind of wear on the feet at all? Please post what kind of mousing surface you're using too.

Yeah I notice some wear on my mouse from normal use. I use a Ratpadz and that probably wears them down a little faster, but I dont see them wearing down to nothing in a while.

When that happens Ill just probably get a new mouse

i had really bad wear on both the feet and the pad with my old microsoft intellimouse on both a func 1030 and a ratpadz. i don't use a whole lot of pressure, but i started getting really fine gray dust on the pad and mouse feet. my razer copperhead on an old 3 ring binder surface glides like butter without any wear.

Not the G5...but, damn, my mouse has it rough. 3 missing feet, 1 foot worn down to the tip, and the other having a bit more meat left on it. It's so wonky. xD

My G7 feet show some scratches, which I'm assuming over time will become heavy wear, but so far I don't really notice a difference in performance. Don't know how you'd fix it, other than finding some replacements sized just right.

On that note, I think there are some companies that sell Skatez specifically for the G5/G7.

I dont think you need to worry about it. I have had my MX1000 for over a year and the teflon feet on them only show minimal wear. There is no tilting or anything. I think they have improved the quality of mouse feet.

Are you guys that dont see any wear using cloth pads? I'm using my G5 on an everglide giganta and if i flip the mouse over I can see where the feet have been ground away. I should probably switch before the feet wear down too much.

KillerPotato said:
Are you guys that dont see any wear using cloth pads? I'm using my G5 on an everglide giganta and if i flip the mouse over I can see where the feet have been ground away. I should probably switch before the feet wear down too much.
i had the same wear problem with my first 2 pads (func 1030 and a ratpadz). unfortunately the wear that the func caused on my mouse feet then made my mouse feet wear away the ratpadz. i'm using my copperhead on a piece of 3 ring binder cover (the hard, smooth kind, no glossy plastic or faux leather), and i haven't noticed any wear on the feet.

LordVampyre said:
newegg have skates for the G5 and G7 I have them.. work quite well

Unfortunately two sets of that custom cut stuff costs as much as 15 feet or more of a regular roll of teflon tape.

I'm usin a cloth top pad and have absolutely no wear on my G5 or my MX1000.

KillerPotato said:

I am using a fUnc1030 and have very minimal wear after over a year.

Umm... There is no need to tape the mouse feet on G5's. The feet are made of teflon. Just replace the feet with some other teflon FEET when they get worn out.

where do you buy replacement g5/g7 feet? or are you saying buy some generic old style feet. cause this is the only mouse ive seen with feet this shape. im not seeing any wear on mine now, but it is weaing my table away. ill prolly but it on the mousepad soon. was using skates on my mx500 and they worked great but only lasted so long.when the feet wear down, im not gonna buy another $50+ mouse if it still functions fine.

if anyone replaces them, id like to know what they did. i figure i have a ton of time left on mine as its only a week old.

xSnowmaNx said:
Umm... There is no need to tape the mouse feet on G5's. The feet are made of teflon. Just replace the feet with some other teflon FEET when they get worn out.

I doubt he means feet. But calling Logitech to find out if they'll replace feet under warrenty isn't a bad idea. MS would just send you a new mouse if you said the feet had worn down, I know this from experience.

I mean feet. The G5 comes standard with Polytetrafluoroethylene feet as advertised on the Logitech website: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2142,CONTENTID=10715. Polytetrafluoroethylene is teflon. One such replacement for teflon feet that fit the G5 can be found here, last product of the page: http://www.esportsea.com/index.php?s=proshop&d=list&by=category&id=2

Official website of Hyperglide: http://www.hyperglide.net/?hg=mx_skates_2

And there are many other places where you can get teflon feet. Some places have them premade to fit your mouse, others give you sheets of the stuff for you to cut out yourself.

xSnowmaNx said:
I mean feet...

Those look pretty nice. I guess they're cheap enough to just give the mouse a try, but that's still the cost of a lifetime supply of teflon/PTFE tape.

Thanks Snowman, and everyone else for your experiences.

As far as the foot wear discussion, it seems like a few people with cloth pads have never had the problem, and a few with plastic pads have. Has anyone NOT found mouse feet to wear down on a hard surface pad over long term use? What kind of surface was it?

the logitech I had before my MX300 (same as mx300, just one model before) I had worn down not only the feet, but the little ridges around the feet, then the label and the whole bottom side of the mouse. I never noticed the difference (though I use a fabric/rubber mousepad)

rob2000 said:
where do you buy replacement g5/g7 feet? or are you saying buy some generic old style feet. cause this is the only mouse ive seen with feet this shape. im not seeing any wear on mine now, but it is weaing my table away. ill prolly but it on the mousepad soon. was using skates on my mx500 and they worked great but only lasted so long.when the feet wear down, im not gonna buy another $50+ mouse if it still functions fine.

if anyone replaces them, id like to know what they did. i figure i have a ton of time left on mine as its only a week old.

Here you be...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817114460

Back