Best way to switch between Headphones and Speakers?

have2p

Limp Gawd
I've got some AT A900's and Some Klipsch Promedia 2.1s. How can I switch between them without going around back and futzing with the plugs?

If you have the promedias that I have you shouldn't have to go around to the back of the computer to plug in headphones. THe headphone jack is connected to the control pod on one of the speakers. Other than that, maybe you could use a y splitter at the output, but I just don't know what that would do to sound quality. I hope this was helpful.

Lyquist

That's one of the main reasons I have an x-fi platinum with the drive bay. All I have to do is plug in the headphones to the jack on the front bay panel, and the software recognizes it and switches all settings I've designated for headphone usage.

kaluminati said:
That's one of the main reasons I have an x-fi platinum with the drive bay. All I have to do is plug in the headphones to the jack on the front bay panel, and the software recognizes it and switches all settings I've designated for headphone usage.

yeah - the live drive comes in really handy.. I have good old SBLive 5.1 with Live Drive II from (better and older ;) ) original SBLive Platinum ;)

Lyquist said:
If you have the promedias that I have you shouldn't have to go around to the back of the computer to plug in headphones. THe headphone jack is connected to the control pod on one of the speakers. Other than that, maybe you could use a y splitter at the output, but I just don't know what that would do to sound quality. I hope this was helpful.

Lyquist

I tried a Y splitter for headphones/speakers once and it is bad for sound quality. Using the splitter raises the impedence and sound is a bit muffled. I also tried a Y splitter for connecting two computers to one pair of speakers and that was bad too for the same reason. Luckily my Klipsch Promedias saved the day because I realized I could connect the second computer to the Promedia's iPod input. I use the Promedias headphone input for using headphones but am getting an old Audiolab 8000A amp soon so will use that for headphones.

have2p said:
How would plugging the cans into the speakers affect quality?

In my experience the quality is degraded when plugging through speakers, that and your sound card has speaker settings and headphone settings. I'd be confused on which setting to put it on:p

Or you could just buy a second (cheap) sound card and leave the headphones pluged in all the time on the second card.

Back