do you set cleartype on?

I didn't use it in the past, but I recently started. I might go back to not using it.

how does it work on vista, is it the same tech.?

Same technology, but since SegoeUI is the default font in Vista as compared to Tahoma in XP, things look a bit different. If you apply the "Vista Font Fix" you might find a better overall appearance in Vista. Since Vista seems to use different fonts for different parts, Pirillo there created that Registry file to make Vista use SegoeUI across the entire interface which seems a lot better in practice, and it does look much better to a lot of people, myself included.

The downside is SegoeUI is a wider font, so some dialogues will have text cut off. For someone like me, I know most of the dialogues by heart and rarely actually read them anyway, so it's not even a tradeoff to me. I prefer the way SegoeUI looks across the entire interface.

If you choose to try that Vista Font Fix, there's a Registry file that can restore it back to Vista's installation defaults also. You can find that file at:

Reverse the Vista Font Fix

Hope this helps...

Oh, my answer is yes, I use ClearType since I'm on an LCD, and even when I'm not I use it. Just looks better to me overall.

ps
Just thought I'd post some screenshots that might help so you notice the difference. On the left will be the original fonts in Vista with a certain shot; on the right is the same thing with the "fixed" fonts.

Remember, left pics are the original fonts, right pics are the fixed ones. Not an in-depth comparison, of course, but it shows at least some of the differences.

Cleartype looks like runny diarrhea on my LCD, so no. :D

F.. No!!! Hate that stuff, makes me think I'm getting more blind by the minute

If you're running an LCD at its native resolution with a digital connection, definitely DO NOT use "cleartype."
If your stuck with running non-native (for whatever reason) and/or are trying to use some analog source such as vga, s-video, rca, or component RGB inputs then Cleartype might make text appear slightly better.

I also can't bloody stand IE7. It seems to have ClearType embedded.

Like previously mentioned, it frightens me that my eyesight is starting to go bad, and I have nearly 20/15 in both eyes. Say no to ClearType!

You can turn cleartype off in IE7.
Tools --> Internet Options --> Advanced tab
Scroll down to multimedia:

cleartypeoffie7vh8.jpg

I just turned it off... And immediately turned it back on.

19" LCD @ native res with digital. Non cleartype looks like shit. Consider me a cleartype fan boi now bitches.

I just turned it off... And immediately turned it back on.

19" LCD @ native res with digital. Non cleartype looks like shit. Consider me a cleartype fan boi now bitches.

I just turned it on... And immediately turned it back off.

19" LCD at native resolution with digital input. ClearType looks like shit. Consider me an anti-ClearTyper for life, bitches.

It's hazy. It makes text look like a font color clashing with a background. It almost buzzes my eyes. To each his own (thankfully).

Same technology, but since SegoeUI is the default font in Vista as compared to Tahoma in XP, things look a bit different. If you apply the "Vista Font Fix" you might find a better overall appearance in Vista. Since Vista seems to use different fonts for different parts, Pirillo there created that Registry file to make Vista use SegoeUI across the entire interface which seems a lot better in practice, and it does look much better to a lot of people, myself included.

The downside is SegoeUI is a wider font, so some dialogues will have text cut off. For someone like me, I know most of the dialogues by heart and rarely actually read them anyway, so it's not even a tradeoff to me. I prefer the way SegoeUI looks across the entire interface.

If you choose to try that Vista Font Fix, there's a Registry file that can restore it back to Vista's installation defaults also. You can find that file at:

Reverse the Vista Font Fix

Hope this helps...

Oh, my answer is yes, I use ClearType since I'm on an LCD, and even when I'm not I use it. Just looks better to me overall.

ps
Just thought I'd post some screenshots that might help so you notice the difference. On the left will be the original fonts in Vista with a certain shot; on the right is the same thing with the "fixed" fonts.

Remember, left pics are the original fonts, right pics are the fixed ones. Not an in-depth comparison, of course, but it shows at least some of the differences.

bbz_Ghost the right screenshots look a lot better.

I used to have it on, when I was on windows. This was on 20" widescreen LCD with DVI connection (then VGA connection coz the graphics died). Now I'm on Ubuntu, with its font smoothing on.

When I build my new Vista machine, I will put cleartype on again.:D

I prefer it and even enable it on CRTs as well. My laptop, wife's laptop, 20" work monitor and 20" widescreen for my workstation at home (all at native res) all have it turned on. Text looks much better IMO with it on.

I always thought it was for LCD's? I've only owned junky LCDs w/ analog connections so it was always enabled. But now since I'm back on a CRT (and hating it) I have turned it off.

I'm running the native res. on a laptop (1280x800) and I have it on. It's basically AA for text and I find it a little easier on the eyes. It doesn't do much for CRTs though...

Back