Installed Tuniq Tower... Computer won't post now!

DeathCab

n00b
I recently installed a Tuniq tower and ever since then, the computer refuses to POST. All of the fans spin up, and it doesn't restart or anything, but nothing happens. I really am at a loss of what to do. I tried replacing the graphics card, but it refused to post still. I'm not too sure what the problem is. Could I have damaged my motherboard durring the installation? Could I have put in my processor the wrong way? Is this going to require some professional help?

Mobo: Gigabyte DS3
Processor: core 2 duo e6400
Graphics: AIW x1900 (the two red lights light up when I turn on the power)
2GB ram
Audigy 2 sound card

Is there any information that you might need that I am forgetting?

EDIT:

Problem solved. The tuniq backplate shorts out the DS3 Motherboard. Everyone who owns a DS3, watch out for this little problem, and don't use the permanent adhesive when installing computer parts!

Not to demean you or anything..but you do have a HDD hooked up, correct?

Of course, and even if I did not have a hard drive connected, it would still POST, it just would not boot into an operating system...

the processor can only go in one way, unless you force it in. is the new heatsink making good contact with the processor? what thermal paste are you using?

Did you plug the fan header into the Mobo?

Reseat everything (CPU, Mem, cards, etc) and try booting again.

When you installed the Tuniq tower, did you remove the memory? If you did, are you sure you put them back into the correct slots?

The two red lights lighting up on your ati card - do they stay lit?

Mine comes on for a second and turns off, but there have been times where I forgot to reconnect the PCI-e cable to the card when I did some stuff in my case, and those lights stayed on.

any beeps at all?
did you try taking the ram out and powering it up?
did you try reseating it?
did you try try 1 stick ram on the far right ram slot?

Resetthe CMOS: nochange
My graphics card is plugged into the correct PCI poewr connector, and the lights stay lit.
I've resat everything once, and I'm going to do it once more- I'll tell you how it goes.
I haven't heard any beeb codes simply because I haven't figured out how to plug the antec p180 into my motherboard to have the case speaker setup.
At first I thought the graphics card was broken, but I got a friends and the computer still refused to POST.

Real funny. What PSU do you have? And did you try moving the RAM to different slots?

Power supply is an enermax liberty 500. I know I should have something with a bit more power, but it has been working just great and I haven't had any problems with it. I am pretty sure now that I damaged SOMETHING when installing this massive cooler, but I just can't figure out WHAT!

check the caps around the tower, and see if anything's shorting.
make sure the pad didn't crush any resistors or anything.

could the mounting plate on the back of the motherboard be shorting out anything? I have taken my mobo out and am looking at the mounting plate... I don't think it is the problem. Also, nothing looks crushed from the mounting, and the AS5 was making great contact with the heatsink. I am going to try and reinstall everything now and remount everything. Maybe something will happen, maybe comething wasnt mounted correctly and there was a short? Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help guys! Maybe we can get to the bottom of this?

I had the same issue with LGA procs. Because they don't have pins they are prone to being slightly out of place which causes your computer not to post. Just reseat the proc a few times...any more than 10 though your proc could of been fried. It took me 5 times to get it to post and its been working ever since.

wow, i was just about to make a new thread, but saw this. I have a similar setup, E6400, tuniq tower, DS3, and a 7600gt .. At first mine would post and i successfully installed windows, but while i was updating windows the comp froze and now it wont post..

I had the same issue with LGA procs. Because they don't have pins they are prone to being slightly out of place which causes your computer not to post. Just reseat the proc a few times...any more than 10 though your proc could of been fried. It took me 5 times to get it to post and its been working ever since.

Sweet, thanks for giving me hope. I am going to try that right now!

Remounted CPU, same problem. Switched out ram, Same problem. Unplugged EVERYTHING except the bare minimum needed to POST... same freaking problem. There has been a new development... now it will turn off when I hopd the power button... I had to unplug it before.
This is either a mobo, CPU, Ram, or video card problem, Or it might be all of the above... I am going to try all of my components in a friends computer later today and see what the unlucky part is... I hope it isn't more than one thing wrong with this!!

Are there any other suggestions? Anything else I missed? Is there anything I can do to save my computer?

I recently installed a Tuniq tower and ever since then, the computer refuses to POST. All of the fans spin up, and it doesn't restart or anything, but nothing happens. I really am at a loss of what to do. I tried replacing the graphics card, but it refused to post still. I'm not too sure what the problem is. Could I have damaged my motherboard durring the installation? Could I have put in my processor the wrong way? Is this going to require some professional help?

Mobo: Gigabyte DS3
Processor: core 2 duo e6400
Graphics: AIW x1900 (the two red lights light up when I turn on the power)
2GB ram
Audigy 2 sound card

Is there any information that you might need that I am forgetting?

remove the audio card

Check the 24 pin power connector is seated and that the 4 pin motherboard power connector is also seated

Unplug the power count to 10 and then clear the CMOS by shorting out the 2 pins above the motherboard battery see user guide

Boot up and pres <Del> key and get into the BIOS. Load the Optimized Settings and save. This will boot you at the default 266 MHz bus.

Reboot.

Does it POST now?

remove the audio card

Check the 24 pin power connector is seated and that the 4 pin motherboard power connector is also seated

Unplug the power count to 10 and then clear the CMOS by shorting out the 2 pins above the motherboard battery see user guide

Boot up and pres <Del> key and get into the BIOS. Load the Optimized Settings and save. This will boot you at the default 266 MHz bus.

Reboot.

Does it POST now?

Did all of those things, but like I said, it doesn't POST, so I can't get into the bios! The only thing that happens when I turn it on is all the fans spin up. That is it.

When your testing to get it to POST just do it with the five core components.

PSU
Mobo
PSU
RAM (1 stick only)
GFX

Everything else should be disconnected from the mobo incl keyb & mouse, printers, routers etc etc. Visually check those components in good condition (with the PSU just do the sniff for burning smell test). That way you find the problems usually.

I have the same problem except im using a thermalright 120 ultra and it has a metal back plate.

I wonder if its shorting anything :S Thats possibly why my machine is not posting or the ram.

This is a scary thread to read. I just ordered the Tuniq 120 for my new build and I don't want something like this to happen.

Let us know what ends up being the culprit. I think the best way for you now would be to just try each part in your friend's computer until you find out which one is broken. Good luck and I hope you fix it soon.

its not a dead cpu, the back plate on my thermalright ultra 120 was shorting the pins on the back of the mobo where the cpu is, a little 3m padding stuck to the plate and then applied to the mobo did the trick!

all is well :)

Thanks for all the kind words. I'm going to TRY and set myself up with a friends computer so I can do some troubleshooting this weekend. We'll see if it all goes to plan. I will for sure give an update to all of this once I figure things out.

EDIT:

If it is the backplate shorting out the mobo, how do I go about removing it? It's stuck.... :( I used the standard back plate.

put electric tape on the mobo backplate, i have heard that it causes shorts.
Unearthly said:
"The backplate can short out some motherboards (Gigabyte DS3). Does not cause permanent damage, however it is a pain to debug. If you have this motherboard, the workaround is to cover the large middle part of the backplate with electrical tape to prevent the short."

put electric tape on the mobo backplate, i have heard that it causes shorts.

Yes, but how do I go about remiving this backplate? I want to take it off and replce it with the one from my zalman 9500... its all plastic.

Ok, if it was the backplate shoting the board out, I am going to find out shortly. I heated up the backplate and used a few credit cards to remove the backplate and swapped in one that works with the tuniq but doesn't stick to the mobo.

Wish me luck, I should know in an hour or so if my CPU was crushed, or if it was the backplate shorting out the mobo...

EDIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It works!!!!!! The backplate was shorting out the mobo!!!! YES!!! Thanks everyone for all the help, I'm going to install the rest of the computers parts and see if everything is functioning at 100&#37;, but it POSTED, so I'm sure it will be fine!!!!!!!

YAY!

I'm posting this from my desktop right now. Works like a freaking charm. Tuniq tower provides some good temps too, if it wasn't for that damn stupid backplate.

Back