Question about installing sata HD

bordes

Gawd
Hello, I have an Asus K8V SE motherboard and am trying to get Windows to recognize the Seagate SATA 320 GB HD. BIOs sees the harddrive just fine but when I try to install windows on it, it can't seem to find it. If I let it boot, I get the following error: "The number of disks is not adequate to create a RAID!!!".

my 250 gig IDE drive is busted and I'm trying to replace it with this one. does anyone know why I am getting this error?

Thank you,

There are 2 versions of this motherboard that I can find, one seems to be a stripped down version the other a more deluxe version with additonal SATA ports.

This motherboard has 2 Sata Controllers. One on the Via Chipset and the other on a Promise Raid chip.

You will probally want to put it on the Via, and make sure that the controller is set up as just a standard Sata Controller. If there are any options for raid in the bios turn them off.

EDIT: Found it.

Put the hard drive on SATA 1.

Go into the bios and go to Advanced > Onboard Devices Configuration... DISABLE SATA RAID BOOT ROM.

Should fix your problem.

There are 2 versions of this motherboard that I can find, one seems to be a stripped down version the other a more deluxe version with additonal SATA ports.

This motherboard has 2 Sata Controllers. One on the Via Chipset and the other on a Promise Raid chip.

You will probally want to put it on the Via, and make sure that the controller is set up as just a standard Sata Controller. If there are any options for raid in the bios turn them off.

EDIT: Found it.

Put the hard drive on SATA 1.

Go into the bios and go to Advanced > Onboard Devices Configuration... DISABLE SATA RAID BOOT ROM.

Should fix your problem.

its the Deluxe motherboard. I disabled "OnChip SATA BOOTROM" but now BIOs won't even see the HD. I'm not sure what you mean put the HD on SATA 1. is that the port you plug it in?

been working on this for about 6 hours, bout to call it quits. i read somewhere you need to download drivers for a sata hdd because winblows won't detect it when initially installing the os. i downloaded the drivers from the asus website and it didn't work. later i found a forum saying the drivers don't work from the asus page. any suggestions?

its the Deluxe motherboard. I disabled "OnChip SATA BOOTROM" but now BIOs won't even see the HD. I'm not sure what you mean put the HD on SATA 1. is that the port you plug it in?

Make sure to put it on the port labeled SATA 1, will make sure that its being controlled by the southbridge and not the add on promise raid controller.

If I let it boot, I get the following error: "The number of disks is not adequate to create a RAID!!!".
I would bet that this message implies that your HDD is on a raid controller. Do you have the option to enter the RAID bios? It's usually CTRL-H for Highpoint RAID controllers. Have you tried a different SATA header? There are likely two groups on your mobo.

here is someone else with lots of sata related problems on that mobo.

Back