No idea how to check my EVGA 8800 GTS KO temps...

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm a bit stumped. Can anyone tell me how to check the temps for my GPU? I have the latest NVIDIA drivers installed (not BETA) and can't seem to find the Temp. Monitoring Option that I use to see in XP. I'm running Visat 32bit.

Thanks for the help!

:D

I'm using AtiTool 0.27 beta. You have to install/run as admin but it has been working for me

Oh I have a 8800GTX if it matters so the 0.27 beta does work on nvidia 88's

Also if you are having really high temps you don't like I suggest taking a look at the thermalright HR-03 Plus. Lowered mine big time.

Stock cooler Idle-62c Load 77c

Hr-03 Plus idle 44c Load 57c

I would install rivatuner to monitor your temps and not use the programs that nvidia supplies, bleah.

Just install it and run the Scan for Artifcacts test to stress test your videocard.

Ok I'll give both a shot!

How to you install/run AtiTool as an admin?

Thanks!
Right click, run as admin.

after it's installed I believe you just right click on the desktop icon-compatibility Tab-- check Run as admin.

Or as RussianHAXOR said rivetuner but i found it to not allow me to day anything, change anything on Vista, atiTool lets me check the temps and change the core/memory speeds if I want.

and running the 3d fuzzy cub is a fast wasy way to see how hot the gpu gets under a good load

Ok I have AtiTool running. How long does this go for?

Thanks again for the help and I apologize for any repeat questsions. Vista is throwing me through a loop and I haven't buolt a PC in some time lol!

Thanks again for the help and I apologize for any repeat questsions. Vista is throwing me through a loop and I haven't buolt a PC in some time lol!
The cube? First I never noticed the scanning for artifacts maxing the card out more than just being in the normal 3d spinning cube window. I'm no expert but let it scan for 5 minutes or so then abort and stay in the window/3d spinning cube screen for another fine. Just watch the temps and take a mental note of how high it goes.

no problem on the questions, I only signed up here a day ago and built a new computer a month ago, the first new one in years

i would run it for 15 minutes to make sure you have a stable OC

Ok I've now got ATiTool running, but not sure where the temps are lol...I feel a bit thick tonight.

Now I'm getting some MapAccess denied error....

Ok I got it working now (AtiTool that is) and will give RivaTuner another try. Just found step by step guide on RivaTuner. This all too new to me...

Thanks again ;)

Ok now that I've got AtiTools working I have a few more questions...

1. Can the Fan Speed be controlled on an 8800GTS via this tool? I did read that only some cards have this function in AtiTool.

2. What are some good temps for this card? I'm getting 61c idle, high of 80c and 71c average. This is in an SFF case btw (SG01e) w/ one fan blowing cool air on the card while the other is exhausting towards the back.

I'm getting there slowly, but surely!! :D

the way I check my temps is with gainward's Xpertool

so far it works in XP and Vista 32

it has clocking and fan control features

http://www.gainward.net/support/index_uk/

:cool:

I don't need the fan control now but I'll still give this one a go. I'm always looking for something better.

1. Can the Fan Speed be controlled on an 8800GTS via this tool? I did read that only some cards have this function in AtiTool.

2. What are some good temps for this card? I'm getting 61c idle, high of 80c and 71c average. This is in an SFF case btw (SG01e) w/ one fan blowing cool air on the card while the other is exhausting towards the back.

I could never get fan control using AtiTool :( and that feature doesn't work in rivatuner on Vista, atleast not for me.

Those sound like pretty average temps as far as I have read. Thats about what mine were at but I replaced the factory heatsink with an after marked one and now I idle around 47c and max out arounf 57c, give or take a few degrees depending on ambient room temps.

Try out that gainward's Xpertool ojibewa posted a link to, sounds like it while give you temps and fan control. I'll try it out later myself.

Why the hell did nVidia remove temperatures from the normal control panel? This is one aspect of my 8800 GTS that greatly annoys me. It wasn't broken as far as I can see, so why did they try to "fix it"? NTune is terrible, so RivaTuner or ATT are just about necessities.

I want the old control panel back :(.

EDIT: Thanks to a post in another thread, I can now have the old control panel back. It's located here for those who have the same complaints that I did with the new control panel. http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11627&hl=classic+control+panel

here's a screeny of Xpertool, this is why I like it

xpertool.PNG

ahh very nice! I may have to give this a shot when I get home today. I would like a fan speed option so that I can see how much it helps the temps.

How's the Vista support?

Thanks!

Ojibewa,

The link you provided for Xpertool doesn't work. Mind re-posting it? I've also searched for it, but can't find an english site to down load from.

Oh and I have a question regarding Atitool. I have an eVGA 8800 GTS KO. Atitool is showing my Core clock at 580, but the Mem Clock is at 850?!?! Shouldn't that 850 be 1700??
Thanks!

Ojibewa,

The link you provided for Xpertool doesn't work. Mind re-posting it? I've also searched for it, but can't find an english site to down load from.

Oh and I have a question regarding Atitool. I have an eVGA 8800 GTS KO. Atitool is showing my Core clock at 580, but the Mem Clock is at 850?!?! Shouldn't that 850 be 1700??
Thanks!

Memory speed is doubled. Therefore if it is showing 850, 850X2 = 1700 :).

those temps r normal for stock fan speeds, 60%. i have my fan at 80% and i ideal at 55C and load usually at 66-70 highest of 77C.

i got the same temps as u when i was at 60%

and with rivatuner u can monitor your gpu temps as you play.

Why the hell did nVidia remove temperatures from the normal control panel? This is one aspect of my 8800 GTS that greatly annoys me. It wasn't broken as far as I can see, so why did they try to "fix it"? NTune is terrible, so RivaTuner or ATT are just about necessities.

I want the old control panel back :(.

EDIT: Thanks to a post in another thread, I can now have the old control panel back. It's located here for those who have the same complaints that I did with the new control panel. http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11627&hl=classic+control+panel
I'll have to try that, just so I can see what it looked like before. Until I built this system about a month ago and got an 8800 I've only owned Ati cards. I've found the current nvidia control panel to be lacking compared to ati's.

it's being used by both 32 and 64 version of Vista from what I've been reading
I like it. It has a nice look to it. Wish I had this when I still had the stock cooler on the card. Still I'll keep ExperTool, I like it.

I think the only software I've tried that I don't like is Ntune, that progam sucks

those temps r normal for stock fan speeds, 60%. i have my fan at 80% and i ideal at 55C and load usually at 66-70 highest of 77C.

i got the same temps as u when i was at 60%

and with rivatuner u can monitor your gpu temps as you play.

Any way you can direct me to site that explains how to use RivaTuner? I still can't get it to run...the drivers are grayed out even after a restart. Sorry, but their website really didn't help explain "how".

Thanks

Which version did you install? 2.0 Final? Its really easy to install i can do a guide for you if you like....

I've installed the latest version 2.0, but am curious that it's notes do not mention the latest NVIDIA drivers 100s. It's the file from the Guru site so I'm assuming it's up to date.

If you don't mind guiding...I would greatly aprpeciate it!

Ok so now it's installed and syays no supported drivers. I click on the customize tabe and select low level system settings. From here I hit install and rebooted...still nothing :(

I think the only software I've tried that I don't like is Ntune, that progam sucks

LOL unfortunately, there just isn't a whole lot more to say about NTune than that. Hopefully they will either improve it or do away with it and just keep things in the classic control panel. The classic control panel isn't the end all be all, but at least it gets the job done with relatively little hassle.

here are a few self explanatory screen shots. =)

Overclocking
overclockingriva.jpg

Monitoring
monitoring.jpg

Ok I knew I was missing something!! Where it says "driver settings" I have no ForceWare detected. That area is greyed out.

Does RivaTuner only recognize certain ForceWare drivers? i.e. drivers from Guru3D.

I think I understand what to do, but just can't seem to get the drivers to be recognized.

I'm starting to think this works in XP and not Vista 32-bit?

Thanks again...this is helping!

Ok I knew I was missing something!! Where it says "driver settings" I have no ForceWare detected. That area is greyed out.

Does RivaTuner only recognize certain ForceWare drivers? i.e. drivers from Guru3D.

I think I understand what to do, but just can't seem to get the drivers to be recognized.

I'm starting to think this works in XP and not Vista 32-bit?

Thanks again...this is helping!

Rivatuner doesn't recognise 1xx.xx drivers...

Are you running vista? Im not sure if there is a vista version, if you look the rivatuner release notes say that they support up to a certain driver.

Are you running vista? Im not sure if there is a vista version, if you look the rivatuner release notes say that they support up to a certain driver.

Yup running Vista 32-bit. I understand the issue now...no Vista support yet, but I'll be waiting ;).

Back