Official WD tool to disable TLER available!

phildabill

Limp Gawd
I know there are a few people like me who would like to disable TLER on their RE2 series drive.

Just call WD support and ask that they email you the application. It is NOT a myth, they DO send it out (I should receive mine soon, will update the post).

They ask that you do not redistribute the software, stating it is made on a per case basis (I doubt it but I will respect their demand).

The warranty is preserved on the drive if the official tool is used, don't know about the third party one. But why third party software when you can get the official one?

Hope that helps some.

EDIT:: Got the files from WD. The files are the exact same as the ones in unhappy_mages post below mine. The CRCs on each file match the one from unhappy_mage. Even the zip has the same name.

Here are the instructions from WD:

WD said:
Attached is the WD TLER Utility. You’ll need to perform the following steps to enable TLER on our SATA drives. Please do not share, post, or distribute this utility. We are sending you the software to see if it works in your situation.

1) Create a DOS-bootable floppy

Title: Create an MS-DOS Startup Disk
URL: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/tips/renken1.mspx

2) Unzip the contents of “WDTLER.zip” to the boot floppy
3) Insert the boot floppy into the computer with the WD SATA drives
4) Boot the computer off the floppy
5) At the DOS prompt, type “TLER-ON” and press ENTER
6) Wait for the program to finish and then remove the boot floppy
7) Restart the computer with the WD SATA drives

Note: This utility will change every drive attached. Disconnect any drives that you do not want to be changed.

Just so that you are aware, this utility may not be able to read drives on some controllers. If the utility fails, please try the drive on a different controller and see if the utility is successful.

Sincerely,
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Western Digital Service and Support
http://support.wdc.com

It's not really "official" - their KB still says you can't. And copies are available on the web already - search for wdtler.zip and you'll find this, which I don't suppose I can deny I host :p I'd appreciate it if you would check the version you receive against my copy; I got it third-hand and haven't been able to verify its officialness myself.

Its been 24h, still didnt receive the app. Contacted WD and they are resending it today. Ill compare it with the one you have unhappymage.

just posting cuz im intrerested in this too and a comparison report would be helpful

Back