Full N-Key Rollover Keyboard

xerus`

[H]ard|Gawd
So I've had this Saitek Eclipse keyboard for the longest time, and it has pretty poor n-key roll over. Like I cant press up, left, and numpad 0 at the same time, the 3rd key wont register. So I thought any other keyboard has to be able to do something like this...

I bought one of the flat-keyed logitech keyboards, the UltraX or whatever. I really like the feel of the keyboard, and its size... but I was amazed to find out that it had the same horrible rollover. I was trying to play a little game demo just now, and I couldnt press up, left, and space at the same time. The 3rd key didnt register.

Are there decent (and decent priced) keyboards out there with full n-key rollover? All I want is to be able to press a lot of keys at once and have them all register.. but it seems like I have bad choices in keyboards as far as that goes. :I Any recommendations?

Yes, this is a common problem, actually. The Viewsonic keyboard (black, USB, don't know the exact model) I bought initially a few years ago will only register 3 or 4 at best.

The Apple Pro Keyboard on the other hand will register at /least/ 12 keys at once, likely as many as you care to, though I can confirm 12 simultaneous by use of FretsOnFire and setting up both players/pushing all bound keys. I love them for this very reason. Feel and size are also great. Only downside I can see is lack of a PrintScreen key. Other than that, they work perfectly with PCs. The Apple key works as a Windows key (meta), and the volume up/down/mute keys work fine, no messing around with drivers.

Grab one on Ebay or something -- I see a new one set as Buy It Now with free shipping for $25 right now, and I imagine you can get around $20 if you look around a bit. They are, unfortunately, no longer made, and I can't guarantee the new version (whatever the equivalent might be) will be as good. They also hold up very well. I've been using the same one since summer of 2000 and all keys still work perfectly. It could use a cleaning, of course...

i keep getting recommended the logitech g11/g15 everytime I ask the same question. I need backlit so my choices are few.

I highly recommend the G15, even though Logitech hasn't replied to my email about replacing my worn keys!!!!!!

The razer Tarantula keyboard has some kind of "anti-ghosting" technology that enables you to hold down more keys supposedly. I'm not sure, I'm running a g15 but i run into that problem as well :(

The razer Tarantula keyboard has some kind of "anti-ghosting" technology that enables you to hold down more keys supposedly. I'm not sure, I'm running a g15 but i run into that problem as well :(

Really? Hm.. the g15 is a little pricey and a little large (actually, its huge) for my tastes. Plus I really dont need bells and whistles, I just need some good n-key rollover.

Any other suggestions before I look deeper into this g11 and g15?

The Ideazon ZBoard doesn't have this issue as far as I can tell. playing TFC I ran into this problem countless times and the only keyboard that worked well enough for me to buy more than one is the ZBoard. I've destroyed 2 so far (totally my fault) but I keep getting more of em since they allow so many different keys all at once.

Ive never run into this problem on my Tarantula, i can press 10+ keys at once no problem and all respond lighting fast

All keys pressed at once:

asfdghj, looks like i can get 6-7 keys without jamming, maybe more.

Ive never run into this problem on my Tarantula, i can press 10+ keys at once no problem and all respond lighting fast

All keys pressed at once:

asfdghj, looks like i can get 6-7 keys without jamming, maybe more.

Yeah...

Holy shit, that keyboard is fucking 100 dollars. Jesus... :I

Why anyone would pay more than $20-30 (I guess I could see $50...) for a keyboard or mouse is beyond me. Sure they last a long time, but have you ever opened one up? Manufacturing costs border on non-existent.

Why anyone would pay more than $20-30 (I guess I could see $50...) for a keyboard or mouse is beyond me. Sure they last a long time, but have you ever opened one up? Manufacturing costs border on non-existent.

50 dollars is usually the top of my range for most keyboards/mice... But I guess to get a good n-key rollover keyboard, I'm going to have to shell out some cash =/

50 dollars is usually the top of my range for most keyboards/mice... But I guess to get a good n-key rollover keyboard, I'm going to have to shell out some cash =/

You did see you can get an Apple Pro for $25, right? There really aren't better keyboards on the market. Flashier, sure, but otherwise it's as good as it gets.

I've always found typing on apple pro keyboards felt remarkably like typing on a big fat slab of fudge.

Some of us like to spend as much money as we want on a keyboard, mouse, and mousepad.

I like to play CS:S competitevely and like to have every advantage I can possibly have on my opponent, and thats the reason i payed $200 for a keyboard, mouse, and mousepad.

Oh not to menchin they like DAM cool.:D

If you ever use a high quality mouse, mousepad, and keyboard, you will never EVER want to go back to a regular setup unless ure just browsing the internet or whatever.

You did see you can get an Apple Pro for $25, right? There really aren't better keyboards on the market. Flashier, sure, but otherwise it's as good as it gets.
See:
I've always found typing on apple pro keyboards felt remarkably like typing on a big fat slab of fudge.

Some of us like to spend as much money as we want on a keyboard, mouse, and mousepad.

I like to play CS:S competitevely and like to have every advantage I can possibly have on my opponent, and thats the reason i payed $200 for a keyboard, mouse, and mousepad.

Oh not to menchin they like DAM cool.:D

If you ever use a high quality mouse, mousepad, and keyboard, you will never EVER want to go back to a regular setup unless ure just browsing the internet or whatever.

Well for gaming I just use a Nostromo n52, which has full n-key as far as I can tell. I have a fUncpad and an mx518, but I just want a normal and relatively small keyboard. I do art and other graphics work on my PC, and its nice to be able to slide my keyboard back and put my tablet on the desk, but with my current set up it isn't possible with some of these bigger keyboards.

The Apple Extended II Keyboard is Full N-Key, but it's on an ADB connector. You would get at most 6 keypresses at the same time if you managed to find an ADB-to-USB connector, and I can't find any ADB-to-PS2 connectors at all.

Back