Asus P5B-Plus issue

Final_Omen

n00b
Let's start off with what was the extent of the tech support supported by Asus...

Unfortunally we here at asus tech support can not support Overclocking due to warrenty issues if you wish to seek this infomation please refer to an google search on Overclocking on this MB

Tim
Asus Support Team.

In order to provide better product and quality for ASUS motherboard, ASUS sincerely

invites all motherboard end users, related representatives in all levels of indirect

suppliers as well as clients in potential, to provide user experience ratings of

satisfaction. We appreciate your collaboration and help to provide feedback with the

questionnaire in below URL for continuous quality improvement.

http://sip.asus.com/Survey/Questionnaire/Survey_2006061513736.aspx

Thank you for filling out the questionnaire. We look forward to providing quality

---------- Original Message ----------
Sent : 7/8/2007 2:21:54 PM
To : "[email protected]"
Subject : Motherboard P5B-Plus

[CASEID=WTM200707081412477746]

Apply date : 7/8/2007 2:12:45 PM

[Contact Information]
*Name : Michael Friesen
*Email Address : [email protected]
Phone Number :
City :

[Product Information]
*Product Type : Motherboard
*Product Model : P5B-Plus
*Product S/N : 74M0ACC7654
Place of Purchase :
*Date of Purchase : 2007/7/5

[Motherboard Specification]
*Motherboard Revision : P5B-Plus
*Motherboard BIOS Revision : 0401

[VGA Card Specification]
*VGA Card Vendor : eVGA
*VGA Card Model : 8800GTS 320MB SC
*VGA Card Chipset : 8800GTS 320MB
*VGA Card Driver : 158.22

[CPU Specification]
*CPU Vendor : Intel
*CPU Type : Core2Duo E6300 -Socket775
*CPU Speed : 7x266 1.86ghz

[Memory Specification]
*Memory Vendor : Corsair
*Memory Model : XMS25400C4 -DDR2
*Memory Capacity : 2x1024MB

[HDD Specification]
HDD Vendor : Seagate (OS drive).. Western Digital
HDD Model : ST3320620AS.. WD2500KS
HDD Capacity : 320GB.. 250GB

[Add-on Card Specificatio]
Add-on Card Vendor : Creative
Add-on Card Type : Audio
Add-on Card Model : X-Fi XtremeMusic

*Operating System : WinXP

[Problem Description]
After doing some overclocking, I hit a point where my system would no longer complete the POST.
The only way I can boot into windows is if I flash the CMOS. If I did a restart without flashing the
CMOS, the system would hang with the Asus logo on the screen. If I flash the CMOS and go straight
into the bios, disable the Asus logo, and reboot, it hangs at a point where it gives me a TPM settings
has been changed, or something along those lines (Don't want to restart so I can flash my CMOS
again..), hit F10 to continue. Of course F10 does nothing. This is also my second P5B-Plus (the first
one suffered a similar fate). Because of the extreme overclocking I had to purchase the board a
second time, but due to the nature of this problem, I believe that it is a bios issue, not a hardware
one. Also, when I can get into the bios that one time, it gives me incorrect voltage options for my cpu
(1.4000v is the absolute minimum I can select). But before this problem began I could go as low as
1.2000v (or lower). Asus PC Probe II is giving me ~50-55 degrees cpu load depending on ambient,
my northbridge temp is 35-45 (both temps load). And my Vcore is sitting at 1.18-1.21. This is
definitely not an overheating issue (I have my system open, outside the case, with fans all over my
components, NB, RAM, GPU..) And everything was going great for awhile, then this problem just
magically appeared (same as first time around again). I will GREATLY appreciate your support. (I am
also very tech savvy, so lay the technical mumbo-jumbo on me thick!)

Can anyone possibly give me any suggestions? I am at a loss. And because the EXACT same problem happend twice, I strongly believe that this isn't an overclocking problem.

Here is a picture I took of the moment it locks up in the bios:

(Sorry about the flash)

After doing alot more research into the nature of my problem, it turns out the board is defective, again. The P5B-Plus is a piece of garbage. I am a PC tech, and of the 3 Asus P5B-Plus boards I have come across in the past 2 weeks have all failed. Either DOA or problems like this. So, even though I am having a wonderful conversation in this thread by myself, I was wondering what board I should go as an alternative. I'm think the P5K...

We are running atleast 10 of the P5B Plus boards here - we dont over clock them and have yet to have any bit of trouble with any of them.

Also we did see some warnings about the TPM like you are seeing here but we simply went into the BIOS and disabled TPM

I'd bet a case of beer that most of your problems are self inflicted if you are continually running into the same issue over and over again.....

Do you know what the definition of insanity is? :D :D :D :D

Maybe, but I have been looking around and alot of people have been having the same issues. While overclock does indeed destroy a warranty, in no way should it be able to kill a board so easily. And with round 2 with this motherboard, I never went over 2.0v on the memory, 1.40v on the northbridge, after adding a fan, and 1.35v on the cpu. I believe the southbridge on this board is no good. Everyone is saying how freaking hot it runs, including me! I still don't know what board I should get as a replacement though... Suggestions?

*Also, disabling TPM does not fix my problem unfortunately. :(

While we are running the Plus version of the P5B here at work, we do have a couple Deluxe versions and i was very pleased with them and have since purchased one for my home and am very happy with its performance.....

A lot of people also seem to be pleased with the DS3 from gigabyte and also the EVGA boards

I think the P5B-Deluxe is going to be what I get. Since it has all the features I can hope for, plus better cooling! Even though it will cost a little more, I think it will be worth the investment.

did you try clearing the cmos?

I had one that would do nothing until I unplugged, removed the battery and jumpered.
I can't remember if I jumpered and removed the battery with it jumpered or not.

Was a pain in the arse, but it got it going again.

Big thing I hate about the p5b deluxe is the network interface is crap on mine...seems that all mb's now, no matter how expensive (and the ones now are WAY OVERPRICED) have some junk in one area or the other.

did you try clearing the cmos?

I can only get my system to boot if I clear the CMOS as stated in my OP.

I will be sure to post all my info when I get my new board. I ordered my Lian-Li PC-7S, Asus P5B-Deluxe, and CoolerMaster HyperTX2 today. Should have it by friday.

My network interface is fine, its the onboard audio that sucks. Creative ftw.

I don't disagree with ASUS's response to your ticket. I don't think posting it was necessary, just the system specs and issue bit.

Yay! Got it all together:

Antec P182
OCZ GameXStream 600watt
Asus P5B-Deluxe @ 1800mhz -1.45v
Intel C2D E6300 @ 3.15ghz (450x7) -1.35v
CoolerMaster HyperTX2
Corsair XMS2 5400C4 @ 900mhz 5-5-5-15 -2.0v
eVGA 8800GTS 320MB @ 600/1800
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music
1x Seagate 7200.10 320GB
2x Seagate 7200.10 500GB
1x LG 18x DVD burner sata

I'm still benchmarking and testing, but so far after 8 hours of orthos, no errors. Highest load temp is 56 cpu, 48 nb, 78 gpu.
Pi 1M = 18s
3DMark05 = ~17000

Otherwise the new motherboard is fantastic. Overclocks like a dream. Only had to clear the cmos once when I set the memory voltage too low, otherwise, my bios settings were never lost, and it was the easiest overclock I've ever done. I still need to see what my lowest cpu voltage is, and I need to lap my cpu and HSF, so that should get my total cpu load temp under 50 degrees.

Small question if any knows... Why can't I disable Vanderpool tech in the bios options? It's just grayed out as enable.

Well, did some more overclocking... Here are current stats:

C2D E6300 @ 3.36ghz (480x7) 1.35v
Asus P5B-Deluxe @ 1.92ghz (480x4) 1.45v
Corsair XMS2 5400C4 2GB @ 960mhz (480x2) 2.10v 5-5-5-15

I'll be back to posts temps later, haven't stressed this setup yet..

Very, but I'm actually more surprised my memory is holding together. I also love how well the CoolerMaster TX2 and Asus P5B-Deluxe collaborate. Anyways, time for some pics :)

*Looks at pictures* *sigh* I still need to get my monitor stand sanded painted :p

Back