G9 vs Lachesis

I was looking at getting a gaming mouse and was wondering some opinions on these (2) or possibly the Sidewinder "I don't care for the way it looks though kinda bulky too many things going on" also any others you use.

Go to your local Best Buy with about $300 and buy all three and use them, because that's the only way you're going to know which one suits you best. The only constant wisdom that I can impart is that the Lachesis is currently fucked up in some way in terms of tracking. I find the shape awkward, but you may like it. Same with the other two mice.

Return the ones you don't like within thirty days to get your money back, no questions asked.

I recommend a razer deathadder. Best tracking mouse out right now. I used to have a g5 (laser) and it was inferior to this deathadder. Laser mice have an issue with very fast movement, as they can't track it well. My deathadder never skips a beat.

I really like my g9..been gaming on it for only a few wks...only semi complaint is that it is too easy to hit both thumb buttons at once...in reality this is rare but I have learned to like it as an option...crouch and aim down barrel, or if you play counter strike...jump and shoot :) ...etc

I tried the Lachesis and didn't like it. The body has an odd feel that just wasn't comfortable to me. I've never liked the upside down bowl feel of Logitech's mice. I eBayed my Lachesis and got a Razer Copperhead. One word review: AWESOME!!

Bah...all these new fangled mice....as for me, they can have my Logitech G310 when they pry it from my dead cold fingers :p

2nd vote for a DeathAdder. They're not all that expensive either. After trying several laser mice (Copperhead, G5, X-750F), the DeathAdder was a very welcome replacement. Best mouse I've used. If you're going after a mouse with a lot of buttons though, DA probably won't cut it.

Bah...all these new fangled mice....as for me, they can have my Logitech G310 when they pry it from my dead cold fingers :p

Amen Brother - my Logitech MX300 will be removed in much the same way. I think you have an MX310, yes?

I'm incredibly happy with my deathadder, although it could use a 5th button to change dpi on the fly. but the shape and tracking are incredible

The feel and function of the MX518 is very good, but the mouse makes a high-pitched noise that drives me insane. I'm thinking of testing the G9 from Best Buy.

I think your mouse is fubarred, you need to RMA it. I have no screaming from mine.

how is the G9 weight-wise? i like a light mouse and my current G3 is lighter than a G5 w/no weights/tray. i had a MX310 before so if you have that, use it to compare.

I haven't had a g5 but I have had several mx series over the years...the g9 is very light, maybe even too light...it comes with this little tin box of weights that fit inside the mouse to customize the weight but honestly even with all the weights it is quite light ...or maybe it is the invisible anti-grav field it floats on? It also comes with 2 outer casings...one with a smooth rubbery grip and one with a rough but more firm finish...I use the latter...maybe there is a weight difference in the "shell" you choose.

the Lachesis is not availabe at best buy. in fact, i cant find it anywhere:)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
the Lachesis is not availabe at best buy. in fact, i cant find it anywhere:)

I saw one at BB in down town San Francisco about a week ago.. or so... they are around, but only at select stores I reckon. And good luck with the phantom white.. lol. I bet that will be back ordered for a while.

In other news... Razer says the new Boomslang CE 2007 will be available next month! or so claims someone in their sales dept..

Laser is fucking garbage if you are low sens player. The sensor can't keep up with the fast arm movements required and it WILL skip, ask any low sens player who used Logitechs G5 line and then went back to their IME 3.0/mx5xx. I used the G5 for all of 10 minutes before, the skipping was obvious and and I immediately went back to the mx510. The G9 looks like it uses the same laser garbage as the G5, maybe a little newer for even more USELESS dpi. Now I use a deathadder which has the same sensor as the lachesis and i have never been able to make it skip, even at 450dpi 40cm/360. Dont buy into the DPI myth, even a extremely high sens player only needs 800dpi at most. Whats more important is the malfunction rate, meaning how fast can you move the mouse before it can't keep up anymore, the deathadder sensor is the best you can get right now measured at almost 4 meters/second. Read the mouse reviews at esreality.com and find out.

how is the G9 weight-wise? i like a light mouse and my current G3 is lighter than a G5 w/no weights/tray. i had a MX310 before so if you have that, use it to compare.

The G9 has the same weight cartridge system taht is used in the G5.
Also it has the scroll wheel from the Revolution series of mice from Logitech.
Looks are hit or miss, but I'd like to see the Lachesis and G9 in a head to head review.

Go to your local Best Buy with about $300 and buy all three and use them, because that's the only way you're going to know which one suits you best.

Be careful using this strategy at BB. They like to slam on a 15% restocking fee on opened items you return. Look at their list on their return policy board when checking out and ask a salesman before plunking down money to "try" something you might be bringing back :rolleyes:

Be careful using this strategy at BB. They like to slam on you a 15% restocking fee on opened items you return. Look at their list on their return policy board when checking out and ask a saleman before plunking down money to "try" something you might be bringing back :rolleyes:

the best place to 'buy and try' is frys electronics:D

no charge on returns even if you dont like the item.

I think your mouse is fubarred, you need to RMA it. I have no screaming from mine.

The guy who made the claim is not lying. ALL MX518s have this "issue". The mouse makes a high pitched sound. I couldn't take it at first, but, eventually, you get used to it.

shiznit:
When you say 800dpi is high then at what resolution are we talking about? Also what is the in game mouse sensitivity at?

The whole concept to a high DPI mouse at the levels of the Razer Lachesis or G9 etc etc, is so you can decrease the in game mouse sense to it's lowest while using the "hardware" of the mouse for any sensitivity adjustments. This guarantees the player that there won't be any increased clicks per turn. The only way to truly know how the mouse motion is set for the game is if you had the source code.

once I hold a Intellimouse explorer 3.0 and I'll be able to season the noobs with some pwnsauce

Be careful using this strategy at BB. They like to slam on a 15% restocking fee on opened items you return. Look at their list on their return policy board when checking out and ask a salesman before plunking down money to "try" something you might be bringing back :rolleyes:
^^^

Whats more important is the malfunction rate, meaning how fast can you move the mouse before it can't keep up anymore, the deathadder sensor is the best you can get right now measured at almost 4 meters/second.

It is worth noting that the Lachesis represents an improvement over previous laser sensors, which maxed out at 1-1.5 meters per second. The Lachesis’ max rate is 2.5 meters per second. Not quite DeathAdder, but a lot better than previous laser sensors.

The guy who made the claim is not lying. ALL MX518s have this "issue". The mouse makes a high pitched sound. I couldn't take it at first, but, eventually, you get used to it.

There is no sound coming from my MX518 that I can hear.

There is no sound coming from my MX518 that I can hear.

Some people can hear it, some can't. It depends on how sensitive your hearing is to extremely high pitched electronic sounds.

After owning more than 6 MX518s, I can confidently say that the sound is definitely there.

Back