Western Digital 1TB (WD10EACS) shows only 931.51GB

zzddrr

n00b
I have a question, is it normal for a Western Digital 1TB (WD10EACS) to only show 931.51GB? Can this be correct?

I have a question, is it normal for a Western Digital 1TB (WD10EACS) to only show 931.51GB? Can this be correct?

yep, that's normal. You don't always get what's advertized. E.g., my Western Digital 250GB hdd only has 238GB of space.

That's interesting. I read in a review of this drive at newegg that the capacity is 953 GB and I only see 931 GB....that's why I am puzzled a bit:confused:

One more question. Can somebody recommend a program to measure the temperature of this drive? Is it possible to measure the temperature with such program when the drive is in an external case?

My 160Gb shows 149Gb :eek:

Totally supposed to be like that.
The larger the drive, the larger the File Allocation Table (FAT) has to be, and thats true for ALL hard drives. Bigger drive = Bigger FAT Which means less of the true drive size is available.

Blame Bill Gates. :D

My 160Gb shows 149Gb :eek:

Totally supposed to be like that.
The larger the drive, the larger the File Allocation Table (FAT) has to be, and thats true for ALL hard drives. Bigger drive = Bigger FAT Which means less of the true drive size is available.

Blame Bill Gates. :D

... but that's not the reason. The gigabyte loss is due to manufacturers advertising base-10 gigabytes (a thousand megabytes = 1 GB, in other words) and Windows counting base-2 gigabytes (2^10 = 1024 megabytes = 1 GB). So both numbers are right, in a manner of speaking, it's just that the two ends are using different units.

When buying a new hdd, multiply by 0.9313 to get the formatted capacity. You are damn near exactly where you should be(0.9313 isnt exact, but its close enough)

You also need to realize some space is used to handle additional information about the file system, such as what blocks are currently free.

That's how much it should read as OP, as others have already explained. :D unhappy_mage is right, both sizes are technically correct....it just depends what method you use to count.

OP: There a number of programs you can use to monitor hard drive temps. Everest, PC Wizard, HD Tune, Rivatuner (with the monitoring function), Speedfan, etc. can all allow you to check HD temps.

Thank you for the answers. I will post my results of the temperature readings... (WD 1TB in a WiebeTech ToughTech FS case)

Hehe... It seems to me that I cannot measure the external drive temperature through USB. Does anybody know some ways to measure temperature through USB?

Hehe... It seems to me that I cannot measure the external drive temperature through USB. Does anybody know some ways to measure temperature through USB?

For probably less than 20 bux you could get a temperature sensor probe with a readout LCD. usually battery powered, nothing too sophisticated. Check out your local radio shack or fry's electronics.

Back