Network drop cost

jergo

Weaksauce
What's a fair price to charge for a network drop for a medium to large sized business in the Northern Virginia area? I was thinking 150 per drop or 180 for two drops to the same jack. Does that sound about right?

Depends on the length of runs, cable type, how many runs, etc.

But usually we charge $100 per drop + $50 per printer drop (usually these are not in a box). Drops can have multiple connections which are then covered by....material costs :) Charge a few extra cents per foot on the cable used and keep track of the exact amount you use for a job.

Now, these drops are usually tough ones. Obviously if it is insanely short or easy prices will change. Many times they involve crawling in attics, drilling through walls, snaking through walls, etc. though which justifys the cost.

We use plenum cable, just to give you an idea. I'd like to be competitively priced so that once I get my foot in the door they are more apt to use me. $100 per drop? What if there are to cables going to the same plate? Do you charge $200 for that?

i wouldn't charge 200 for 2 wires to same spot, charge 150 cause its not much harder to tape up a wire and follow it with the other.

no idea we charge $100/hr + supplies, not a set amount for wiring.

Maybe i'll drop it down to $85 per drop. I guess I was waay overboard on $150 per drop

I guess I was waay overboard on $150 per drop

Not necessarily. The guy I use charges 125-150/drop...depends on the building. Some buildings 125/drop is easy for him to do...in extremely easy situations he charges less. But some situations....150/drop would kill him...so he just says things "average" that price...he does a quote based on visually inspecting what needs to be done first.

Example..I had him go out and do a few new runs on a client of mine that's a golf course resort located on an island. Very spread out environment....overall just a 20x node network I have...but it's spread out across quite a complex. Fiber running down to the beach house. Old building with new additions...so the basement and sub-floor area are quite difficult to get around for doing runs.

I see what you mean. I'm trying to pigeon-hole something into a certain price when there are plenty of variables.

$300 per is insanely high. Normal prices in my area (as well as what I charge) are $100/drop with materials cost added in for additional lines.

For instance, 3 offices need both voice and data.

Base charge is $300 for the drops plus the additional cost of the voice lines (or data lines, whichever run higher, usually the data due to plenum rating). Most companies are happy with these kinds of charges, and it makes it easier to itemize them so they know what to expect next time if they choose to use you.

Alternatively you can charge a flat rate per line in addition to the $100 drop fee. I'd say $25 per line is pretty reasonable. If you are feeling nice, or just want to give them the idea that they are getting a deal, offer something similar to packages. charge a flat rate for the drop at a slightly increased price and drop as many lines as they want. Just be careful you don't screw yourself if you do this.

Obviously if it is an extremely simple run then the price will go down, or up if it's very difficult (for instance, pushing through firewalls which requires special materials and such to keep up with safety codes).

Materials always play a factor. If I run 1000 feet of panduit, someone is going to pay for it and it won't be me.

Be careful of charging too little though, as alot of businesses understand that they are getting what they pay for. I routinely turn down dirt cheap offers in my office because I know that if they are working for half of what my normal guy does, they are either starving or inept. Charging a little less is good, but don't sell yourself short either. Nothing is worse than underbidding only to find out that you don't think it's worth your time.

Be careful of charging too little though, as alot of businesses understand that they are getting what they pay for. I routinely turn down dirt cheap offers in my office because I know that if they are working for half of what my normal guy does, they are either starving or inept. Charging a little less is good, but don't sell yourself short either. Nothing is worse than underbidding only to find out that you don't think it's worth your time.

Great advice

If this is a one-time thing or a first time for you do it on a T+M basis. This way you can get a feel for it, and wont lose your shirt in the process.

For the record the average here in Wisconsin (greater milwaukee area) is $150 per run.

Back