Apple LED Cinema Display is H-IPS (LG LM240WU6)

MGLXP

n00b
I joined the forums today just to mention that alphaod from the Macrumors forum was brave enough to open up the Apple 24inch LED Cinema display and found that the LCD panel IS in fact LG's latest H-IPS panel (LM240WU6-SDA1). The photo can be found here. The specifications of this panel as listed here match the ones as listed by Apple. Also, just looking at the display, you can practically tell it is IPS. There is virtually no colour shift. To me, it is easily one of the most pleasing monitors to look at, both the actual LCD itself and the monitor physically (it is even thinner than in the pictures). So with this display being H-IPS and LED backlit, it is a real steal compared to what's on the market right now.

I'm sure it's nice, and H IPS is sickening, and it being LED backlit....but Apple pricing make me hurl

but thanks for the info though and welcome to the forums

Time to wait for someone to make an adapter for the stupid mini display port since apple are a bunch of dumb fucks.

I knew it was IPS by looking at it in the store...the real question: is this standard gamut or wide gamut? I can't find any info on that...

Excellent to see the final verification. That makes it official. It is a steal at this price. Whiners need to shut up. You have to pay for this level of technology.

Here is a link to Macworld UK's review:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/MAC/REVIEWS/index.cfm?reviewid=2937&pagtype=samechandate&pn=5

The Mini-DP is subject to many of the same thoughts posted here...

Goodbye DVI, hello DisplayPort

The first issue is the Mini DisplayPort, which is a replacement for Apple’s ageing Mini DVI connection previously found on iMacs, MacBooks and older PowerBooks. Apple gets bonus points for opening up this Mini DisplayPort standard to the market, offering it as a no-fee connection for any monitor or computer manufacturer looking for an alternative to DVI (which requires a license fee). So Apple seems serious about making this a de facto standard for smaller computers.

However, Apple promptly loses all bonus points for leaving everybody other than the owners of the brand new MacBook range out in the cold. This is because every other Mac uses a variant of DVI and Apple has – so far – failed to provide any adaptor for owners of older Mac computers. To say this strikes us as odd is something of an understatement – it’s frankly baffling.

All the more so because this monitor doesn’t complement Apple’s monitor line-up, it actually replaces the mid-range model, which we assume is the most popular model on sale. So if you have last year’s MacBook and want an Apple monitor you have to go down to a 20in model, or up to the whopping 30in display.

It may be that adaptors are in the pipeline, making this something of a moot point, but seriously… how complex is a plastic adaptor to build compared to a whole new monitor? Surely Apple could have supplied previous MacBook owners with an option other than upgrading to a new laptop. In the meantime the lack of an adaptor seriously limits the market for this display.

(As a quick aside to this, there’s also a feeling of “yet another” display standard from Apple; this is the company that introduced a brand new Micro DVI connection for the MacBook Air in January this year, only now to phase it out with this Mini DisplayPort connection less than 11 months later – possibly the shortest lifespan of a connection ever.)

Here is a link to Macworld UK's review:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/MAC/REVIEWS/index.cfm?reviewid=2937&pagtype=samechandate&pn=5

The Mini-DP is subject to many of the same thoughts posted here...

Older macs probably already have monitors so they represent a small number of potential sales. Apple is NOT interested in being a monitor supplier to the industry, they are interested in making sure there are monitors available for their new computers, that is is all.

No doubt they once left behind VGA output computers when they went DVI as well. Apple has always done the one input thing.

Once someone does a DP to mini DP connector this monitor will be usable with other computers with Display Port connectors. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a DVI Out to DP in adapter. That is will almost certianly have to be an expensive (and likely problematic) signal converter. You don't have to have this particular monitor. NEC/HP or someone is likely to pick up the LED panel in the near future.

Basically nothing new and the same thing that happened with Apple Cinema Displays going DVI only. Apple is not big on multi-use support. Which is why I will probably never buy one of their monitors.

Basically nothing new and the same thing that happened with Apple Cinema Displays going DVI only. Apple is not big on multi-use support. Which is why I will probably never buy one of their monitors.

You are correct about Apple.

When I replaced my Apple 20" Cinema Display with a Westinghouse 37" I wanted to give the ACD to my daughter.

Her 12" iBook only had VGA out and the ACD only had DVI in.

I ended up buying her a Dell 2007 WFP with both VGA and DVI, but lost on the lottery on that one. :eek:

I can kind of see the point. If they are dead serious in wanting to push DisplayPort as the new deal for PC monitors, they have to force the issue. If you keep giving people options, like say DVI and DisplayPort which is what Dell has done, people will keep using DVI because DP is still so rare. Video card manufacturers don't seem to be in a hurry to include native DP connectors on their cards either.

Screwing over a certain percentage of customers who are still stuck on the old tech is a natural consequence. It happens all the time in transitions to new CPU sockets, new memory types, new expansion slot standards, etc etc

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428

Thought the forum members would be interested in this. This will at least try to let us use these with not Apple laptops.

These adapters appear to be no different from those offered by Apple except for the cost and availability:

Mini Display Port to VGA Adapter http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB572Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MjkyNjI0MA

Mini Display Port to DVI Adapter http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB570Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MjkyNjI0MQ

Everyone is looking for at least a DP to Mini-DP adapter to be able to use the new 24" Apple Display with other computers with a DP card.

Yeah you are probably right. I was hoping that this going from the monitor out but it does just look like a repeat of Apple's products.

How does the 3-1 cable interface with the monitor? I've found some pictures but none yet that show this detail. Is there an actual miniDP port (or some other input) on the monitor itself or does Apple gang up the connections in to a proprietary connector?

Can anyone help me with a link that actually states that this LG panel is of the H-IPS variety please? There's been a lot of hype but none of the links ive seen provided actually states "H-IPS". Someone mentioned that this panel is very new and doesn't appear in many databases; they got that right, there only appears to be one site (other than lots of forums building on the hype) that has the panel mentioned, but nowhere does it say "H-IPS".

LG only makes TN and IPS, so it is certainly IPS(and all new ones will be H-IPS). That monoprice adaptor is miniDP laptop out to DVI. The same as the Apple one. There almost certainly won't be an adapter going the other way.

The laptop can really output different kinds of signals, so you can stick on an adapter and get the DVI out of the laptop.

The monitor OTOH appears to accept only DP signals, so no simple adaptor will work. You would need an expensive signal converter that no one will probably even bother building.

If you are desperate to use this monitor, you will have to wait for someone to build a DP-miniDP connector (cheap) and then buy a video card with DP output.

Or buy a new mac.

Apple released the specifications for the Mini Displayport as a free license, so we might yet see adapters from 3rd parties.

I imagine Apple's new lineup at Macworld will feature new Cinema Displays and Mac Pros with only Mini Displayport connectors, but with an assortment of adapters available (going both ways).

Can anyone help me with a link that actually states that this LG panel is of the H-IPS variety please? There's been a lot of hype but none of the links ive seen provided actually states "H-IPS". Someone mentioned that this panel is very new and doesn't appear in many databases; they got that right, there only appears to be one site (other than lots of forums building on the hype) that has the panel mentioned, but nowhere does it say "H-IPS".

as already said, LG.Display make IPS and TN Film matrices. Super-IPS was their older generation of panels, but nowadays the Horizontal-IPS (H-IPS) is what they produce. so any new panels, such as this 24" would be H-IPS. it's a different pixel structure really, and you can even tell by taking macro photos of it and seeing they are vertically aligned

Back