My cd-burner wont let me copy the cd..why...

overstand

Weaksauce
I've been having problems with copying cds' and trying to burn them, it's just not working out. The used read buffer will go all the way to 100% then when the copy process gets to 4% the used read buffer will go down to zero and continue fluctuating.

I have a 2.2 ghz computer and a 52x burner, i dont see why it's doing this. If it helps im trying to copy a vcd, if that makes a difference.

Will someone let me know the procedures on fixing this.

May I ask what CDs are you copying?

usually big companies put copy protection on their CDs so people dont ILLEGALLY copy their CDs

Honestly, there could be 20 reasons why you're not getting a successful burn. You'll need to list a crapload more details before we even have a chance at guessing.

1) what exact burner?
2) what burning software have you used? (list all)
3) what type of cd-r (or rw) are you using? (if only one type then try another brand)
4) have you updated your drives firmware yet? (good idea)
5) are you able to burn anything to a blank disc?
6) are you attempting to burn cd to cd, or are you imaging to a drive first? (burning an image to HD first is a good idea)
7) is your burner set as a master or slave and is there another drive present on the same ide channel?
8) have you downloaded windows cd burner update? (if no, get it. If yes then uninstall that specific update via add/remove programs.)
9) you get the idea

Originally posted by retardedchicken
May I ask what CDs are you copying?

usually big companies put copy protection on their CDs so people dont ILLEGALLY copy their CDs

why do people post worthless crap like this? its none of your business what cd's he's copying.. dont accuse him of making illegal copy's of cd's.. maybe try posting somethign useful next time

but anyway.. i've had a similar problem myself.. i have a plextor 40x (master drive and newest firmware) and use nero (newest version).. my drive never used to do that but then recently it started doing it for no apparent reason.. i was talkin to a friend of mine about it and he said when he used nero his did it too but for some reason when he used nero express it didnt.. i havent gotten to try that myself yet since i've been without a 2nd cd-drive for awhile.. my generic dvd drive crapped out on me.. maybe that had somethign to do with it .. who know.. i hope someone comes along with some more info

could be a bad aspi layer, i've seen burners work beautifully until nero (+ its aspi layer with it) was installed, then nothing would make it work until windows was reformatted. But then the same copy of nero would work fine after a reformat, i think it has to do with the order of installation of software and windows patches. or some crap like that.

Originally posted by -=iNsAnE=-
why do people post worthless crap like this? its none of your business what cd's he's copying.. dont accuse him of making illegal copy's of cd's.. maybe try posting somethign useful next time

but anyway.. i've had a similar problem myself.. i have a plextor 40x (master drive and newest firmware) and use nero (newest version).. my drive never used to do that but then recently it started doing it for no apparent reason.. i was talkin to a friend of mine about it and he said when he used nero his did it too but for some reason when he used nero express it didnt.. i havent gotten to try that myself yet since i've been without a 2nd cd-drive for awhile.. my generic dvd drive crapped out on me.. maybe that had somethign to do with it .. who know.. i hope someone comes along with some more info

It's not worthless crap mongloid....Copyright protection does prevent the copying of some disks especially in main-stream programs such as Nero. Try using Clone-CD - you may have better luck with a pure duplication program (No fuss).

I am just curious what brand of cdrs are you using. I had a similar problem when I used some no name brand cdrs. I bought some fugi cdrs and that solved my problem.

Originally posted by SJetski71
could be a bad aspi layer, i've seen burners work beautifully until nero (+ its aspi layer with it) was installed, then nothing would make it work until windows was reformatted. But then the same copy of nero would work fine after a reformat, i think it has to do with the order of installation of software and windows patches. or some crap like that.

that exactly describes what happened to me! since i format my computer constantly it seems.. sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldnt.. i bet your right here

and correct me if i'm wrong.. but copy protection shoulnt have anything to do with a low buffer.. the cd may not work but that doesnt mean it wont burn just as well.. if your burner cant duplicate the bad sectors (used as the copy protection.. i know its a little more advanced than that) then it wont be able to read it and the copy wont be any good.. but it has nothing to do with the buffer when your actually burning the cd.. not tryign to start an arguement.. i just thought thats how it worked.. please correct me if i'm confused here

Originally posted by -=iNsAnE=-
that exactly describes what happened to me! since i format my computer constantly it seems.. sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldnt.. i bet your right here

and correct me if i'm wrong.. but copy protection shoulnt have anything to do with a low buffer.. the cd may not work but that doesnt mean it wont burn just as well.. if your burner cant duplicate the bad sectors (used as the copy protection.. i know its a little more advanced than that) then it wont be able to read it and the copy wont be any good.. but it has nothing to do with the buffer when your actually burning the cd.. not tryign to start an arguement.. i just thought thats how it worked.. please correct me if i'm confused here

Well it's strange - I'd think so too, but I've had protected disks not even copy with Nero (they'd get to ~10% and present a disk write error) , but then work fine in other programs on the same computer mere moments apart.

Back