Have both DSL & Cable, can it go thru the same router?

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
I have DSL and Cable in my room going thru a wireless router to get a signal to my mothers room. I just got DSL to check it out, so this now leaves me with DSL and Cable. Can I connect both DSL and cable in the router at the same time? I noticed that the DSL is connected to the (UPLINK) port on my router, where as my cable I connect it to the (WAN) port on the router....

Don't think so, unless your router supports multiple WAN ports (highly unlikely - I've never seen one that does). The only suggestion I have is that you have 2 routers into the same switch, with one (eg DSL) using 192.168.0.x and the other (eg cable) using 192.168.1.x, then switch your client IP to each subnet for comparison.

I'm assuming that you don't want to load balance across the two - this would probably require some rather expensive (and probably Cisco) hardware.

In the latest PC Magazine theres an ad for a router with 2 WAN ports, so you can connect 2 services to it. I think it was $250. If you're interested, I can dig it up for you :)

go go gadget unix!!!:D
you can use any leenux or *bsd distro as an easy to setup load balancing router box. well maybe not so easy if you dont know anything about *nix or routing/firewalling....but hey then it's just another thing to learn that will always be valuable to you

Depends on what kind of router you have, like Draconis said, most forms of Unix will accomplish this...

Originally posted by Zwitterion
What does load balancing do? Equalize the bandwidth to both ports? ... or something?

Yes, that is the simple version of course, you can do many things including traffic shaping, etc...

lol....I stand corrected :)

I assumed that he wanted a quick and dirty solution to let him compare and contrast....nice work, tho guys :)

What they call load balancing is really just round-robin routing. One packet goes out the first path and the next goes out the next path. Traffic will likely return on the path it exited on if it is to work.

The only way to truely load balance is to run as part of a BGP network or have your own private peering arrangement between you and the two ISPs. Not very likely.

The Linksys or Linux stuff should be sufficient if you have some sort of redundancy requirements.

I would probably use this sort of thing in a developement environment to test my traffic in/out and connectivity between them.

not entirely true. LOAD BALANCING is possible with the unix solution for sure, IE QoS or traffic prioritization over each link so as to keep congestion to a minimum.... and porobably those routers too. to do TRUE connection bonding, IE both connections act as one, then yes, you would have to have some freaky setup...even BGP isnt really going to help you there :/

Originally posted by draconius
not entirely true. LOAD BALANCING is possible with the unix solution for sure, IE QoS or traffic prioritization over each link so as to keep congestion to a minimum.... and porobably those routers too. to do TRUE connection bonding, IE both connections act as one, then yes, you would have to have some freaky setup...even BGP isnt really going to help you there :/

BGP will absolutely do this if you have two ISP's that will do peering...

you would have to have a very very very very very very nice ISP to allow you to do something like that from two very different infrastructures such as DSL and cable. but yeah...its possible...actually...that would be very [H] indeed....
:D

Originally posted by draconius
you would have to have a very very very very very very nice ISP to allow you to do something like that from two very different infrastructures such as DSL and cable. but yeah...its possible...actually...that would be very [H] indeed....
:D

Agreed, I was just speaking in the general sense. No way in hell any DSL or Cable provider is going to do that for you...

Hey guys, I was just researching broadband bonding and load sharing. Sorry to bring up such an old thread but I couldn't find much else on the subject. I actually found a few companies that can do this by simply googling broadband bonding and I was wondering if anyone might have had any experience using some of these products.

Thanks

Back