Can't log into windows. PASSWORD question

Ron1jed

Supreme [H]ardness
My aunt gave me some old clunker system from her work. And i can't log into the OS becuse it is passworded. So fine easy fix right. Wrong. I boot into safe mode and try to take it off there. BUT safe mode is also passworded. So my friend tried using this program called erd commander to change the password. BUT that doesn't work either. Says "can't log onto network or something. Is there any way around this password screen?

98/95? cancel logging into network. 2k/kp on an old box? wow. format is my suggestion for either, and install 2k (my preference)

Ron1jed said:
My aunt gave me some old clunker system from her work. And i can't log into the OS becuse it is passworded. So fine easy fix right. Wrong. I boot into safe mode and try to take it off there. BUT safe mode is also passworded. So my friend tried using this program called erd commander to change the password. BUT that doesn't work either. Says "can't log onto network or something. Is there any way around this password screen?

Was the computer part of a domain based network or was it on a peer to peer network?

No need to format. There are a few solutions for breaking 2k/2k3/NT/XP passwords. Google NT password Linux hack. Bootable floppy or CD with a bootable compact version off linux that will crack into your sam and change your administrator password to whatever you want it to be. Usually just leaving it blank in that utility is a good idea, then change it to whatever you want once in the MS GUI.

there are other reasons I say to format. many. no telling what was on the computer... privacy invasion, you name it. a whole can of worms, first thing I do when I get any hard drive is ZAPHD then fdisk and format.

LadyJaqie said:
there are other reasons I say to format. many. no telling what was on the computer... privacy invasion, you name it. a whole can of worms, first thing I do when I get any hard drive is ZAPHD then fdisk and format.

I agree with the lady, Format is the best way to go :D

Another vote for Format reinstal. Why would you want to inherit someone else's problems/spyware/virus/junk? :) Company computers are just filled with crap.

Ron1jed said:

This is the one I use. Works every time. As with any utility for changing the admin password, do not use on encrypted file systems or you'll never see the encrypted files again. Hardly anyone uses encrypted file systems, except for the uber-geeks. I'm not talking about normal NTFS file security in 2000 and XP, but truly encrypted files.

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

***EDIT*** See the FAQ on EFS.

http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

ok. its xp home. and i belive its on a domian network. I would format it but she said she wants to get some of her papers from work off it. AND its just stumping me so its pissing me off :mad: so i gotta figure it out just to say i figured it out lol. Most the time ERD commander can fix the login but its not doing it. MMMMmmmm.

Ron1jed said:
ok. its xp home. and i belive its on a domian network. I would format it but she said she wants to get some of her papers from work off it. AND its just stumping me so its pissing me off :mad: so i gotta figure it out just to say i figured it out lol. Most the time ERD commander can fix the login but its not doing it. MMMMmmmm.

If it's XP home, then it could not have been part of a domain. If all you need are a few documents, remove the hdd, slave it into another computer and pull the documents from the HDD.

I would format it but she said she wants to get some of her papers from work off it.

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding. Seemed pretty clear, to me anyway :rolleyes: you needed some data or I doubt anyone would have to tell you to format the drive. Clearly there was a reason you were trying to get into the OS.

Setting has a slave or master on a secondary IDE interface is a good idea however you can definitely also crack that password.

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd

SureFire said:
This is the one I use. Works every time. As with any utility for changing the admin password, do not use on encrypted file systems or you'll never see the encrypted files again. Hardly anyone uses encrypted file systems, except for the uber-geeks. I'm not talking about normal NTFS file security in 2000 and XP, but truly encrypted files.

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

I second that one. I've never had it not work although the systems I've used it on occasionally have had issues with it overall it's been a great success for me.

Once you're into the system and get what you want I highly recommend nuking and rebuilding the system from scratch. As Bullitt pointed out there's no need to deal with OPP.

If you just need to get some data off of it, then just D/L a copy of Bart PE boot disk and boot up the PC w/ a USB drive plugged in.

You'll be able to get at all the data and copy it to the USB device.

I give. I think u have to like log onto some server before u can get into the os or something. I'm racking my brian and still can;t get it to go. Might just format the dam thing and call it a day......

Ron1jed said:
I give. I think u have to like log onto some server before u can get into the os or something. I'm racking my brian and still can;t get it to go. Might just format the dam thing and call it a day......

Just slave the hard drive into another computer and pull the files you need off of it. It's that simple.

either slave the drive and pull the data (the easist newb way to do it) or use that nt offline password rester util linked earlier in the post. I've used a lot and it works great. btw xp home generally doesn't have the 'administrator" account password protected becase it doesn't allow you to logon to it by default when booting normally.

Any body here think it could have been a novell network?
I don't think there are very many left, but who knows? might have been the reason for using Home instead of Pro (although I would doubt it as doing bulk licensing with XP Pro I would think could get you enought of a discount that it would drop below home's price range).

Xipher said:
Any body here think it could have been a novell network?
I don't think there are very many left, but who knows? might have been the reason for using Home instead of Pro (although I would doubt it as doing bulk licensing with XP Pro I would think could get you enought of a discount that it would drop below home's price range).

There are plenty of novell networks out there. Novell just doesn't put its money into public marketing. And on a 2000/xp machine you would still get the novell login screen even when disconnected from the network. Unless you use the microsoft built-in client which would still have zero impact on the current situation. I would glady take a novell file server over a microsoft one. Much easier to ad administrate and a lot more flexable.

Stick. The. Hard Drive. In. Another. Computer.

Copy. Documents.

Format.

Don't continue to waste time on password crackers when you aren't even going to keep the existing installation.

Typically the problem here would be your not saving before you quit. Read the instructions very carefully. I had similar problems the first time I used the utility.

Since it is yours, I would just format it...Clean computer...

Back