Removing a Prescott IHS??

Dunno

Limp Gawd
The Preshot IHS is glued to the core with Some sort of thermal epoxy, unlike the Northwood which uses Thermal compound. :(

Googling brings up a couple of sites which advize against even trying to remove Preshot IHS's, as the core breaks! :eek:

Does anyone know of a guide using heat/cold/solvents or something to sucsesfully remove the IHS on a Prescott??
:)

Intel stopped this after the 2.4C iirc. I managed to get mine off though. :)

ShuttleLuv said:
Intel stopped this after the 2.4C iirc. I managed to get mine off though. :)

How HOW???!!

I had razor blades stuck in under mine last night. I chickened out because the board wityh the pins in it/base was bending a lot!

Even tried leaving it in the Freezer for 4 Hours.

It used to be with the original stepping 2.4C, the IHS could be removed with patience, a utility knife, and some more patience. Then that other stepping arrived and peeps were crying on here that they started epoxying the entire IHS to the core....in turn, breaking new procs. :(

I wouldn't do it until you get absolute confirmation it isn't epoxied. I haven't played with a Intel cpu since the 2.4C unfortunately, so I cannot confirm it. I am *pretty* certain that most, if not all, new intel IHS's are epoxied on though.

Dunno said:
We'll see how Intel's epoxy stands up to my milling machine! :mad:
:D

Oh my G0D....please dont. :rolleyes:

Seriously, you may be "stuck" with it (pun intended) for now, as I have yet to see a whole lot of people getting their Pressy IHS's off with very high levels of success. There have been however, quite a few dead CPU's as a result.

Too bad it's not as easy as my Venice...took only a few minutes (if that) to take the IHS off...and $hit was it worth it. :D

cornelious0_0 said:
Oh my G0D....please dont. :rolleyes:

Seriously, you may be "stuck" with it (pun intended) for now, as I have yet to see a whole lot of people getting their Pressy IHS's off with very high levels of success. There have been however, quite a few dead CPU's as a result.

Too bad it's not as easy as my Venice...took only a few minutes (if that) to take the IHS off...and $hit was it worth it. :D

:D Got to be [H] :D

I will make 2...er 'lips' for the vice so that only the sides of the IHS is gripped.
Will then mill in from one of the sides a little to measure the exact thickness of the IHS.
then mill down in the centre, veeeery slowly towards the end.
The core and base should eventually drop of (onto something soft)
Will then use an old opened Hard Disk and some rubbing/polishing compound to remove the adhesive.
I will make 4 'feet' or a frame, that will be lapped of at the same time as the core, to keep things level.

@ Dunno - Don't do it...there's [H]ard and then there's just plain [D]umb...

@ KrakenGuy - I lapped my 3.4E's IHS to a mirror finish...helped out a couple degrees, but still not nearly as much as a person would gain from actually removing the thing...my load temps dropped a good 6 or 7 degrees from taking the thing off my Venice. :cool:

6 or 7 degrees on air? Damn that's nice. Did you install pads like the old socket a chips? Or are you just really careful putting the hsf unit on? Did the HSF installation change any? (not sure if you're using stock, or 2 hole mount) I'd be pretty worried about doing it with the way my RBX mounts, it'd just be too easy to apply too much pressure overtightening screws on the 2 hole mount, as I know with the IHS it'll take any amount of pressure, but a bare core...
Damn, I bet that'd knock a few degrees off with my chiller running and no IHS, maybe even 3ghz.

mikelz85 said:
6 or 7 degrees on air? Damn that's nice. Did you install pads like the old socket a chips? Or are you just really careful putting the hsf unit on? Did the HSF installation change any? (not sure if you're using stock, or 2 hole mount) I'd be pretty worried about doing it with the way my RBX mounts, it'd just be too easy to apply too much pressure overtightening screws on the 2 hole mount, as I know with the IHS it'll take any amount of pressure, but a bare core...
Damn, I bet that'd knock a few degrees off with my chiller running and no IHS, maybe even 3ghz.

Well, I was using my Zalman 7700ALCU before and after, and it's easy enough to screw down...so I had no issues...yeah, that is using the 2 hole mount...I would NOT try and install the stock cooler on a naked A64...suicide.

I personally know how much preasure it takes to correctly mount the RBX blocks after using one of my 3.4E...and I dunno how confident I'd be with it either...but if I do end up setting up my h2O on this chip before I get my phase change I'm debating between the RBX or a 6002 Swifty...leaning towards the Swifty.

A lot of cooling setups using mounting methods like Vapochills and Prommies are a LOT safer with the IHS installed...trying to do direct die cooling on a naked chip isn't the safest or best idea out there.

mikelz85 said:

I took the ihs off my winnie also and the temps dropped 7*c. I made a custom mount for my block that applies pressure over the exact center of the core. I've checked for proper seating by looking at the thermal paste, and I get perfect mounts everytime. :cool:

plywood99 said:
I took the ihs off my winnie also and the temps dropped 7*c. I made a custom mount for my block that applies pressure over the exact center of the core. I've checked for proper seating by looking at the thermal paste, and I get perfect mounts everytime. :cool:

You wouldn't happen to have any pics of this said mount....would you? :)

cornelious0_0 said:
You wouldn't happen to have any pics of this said mount....would you? :)

Yup, I would. Could take a better one if you need it.

BlockMounted.jpg

It is a lightly modded clip from the stock Amd fan.

Interesting.....looks a little too "ghetto" for me to consider something like that for my own setup...but it is nice to see that kind of creativity on some peoples behalfs...cus it sure ain't gonna be on mine. :p

cornelious0_0 said:
Interesting.....looks a little too "ghetto" for me to consider something like that for my own setup...but it is nice to see that kind of creativity on some peoples behalfs...cus it sure ain't gonna be on mine. :p

Yeah, I'm much more of a function over form kinda guy...

Yeah removing the IHS does drop temps more than say....applying new arctic silver. ;) But it's a really risky job nowadays with epoxied cores.

linger said:
sand through it... :D

That is a very interesting point. I really never though of this before, but you can just sand the IHS until it is gone. :eek:

It will take a long time to do it without damaging anything, but that's probably one of the only ways to remove the IHS (on new p4's).

cornelious0_0 said:
@ Dunno - Don't do it...there's [H]ard and then there's just plain [D]umb...

Lets call it veeeery risky!

I will try to get hold of a blown Presshot to practice on. Its not much different to sanding it off but a lot faster.

What do you-all think of using an old Hard Disk as a polishing device for Water blocks and such?

cornelious0_0 said:
Oh boy oh boy. :rolleyes: :p

Anybody got a blown board and CPU for me?
JJ!
I'm in South Africa

SuPrise!

EDIT: Link should be fixed now.
Just pimping our SA OC Forums a bit!

i seriously want to see this happen, so if/when you do it post a lot pics and tell us how you did it. good luck

by the way clicking on that link takes me to microsoft.com, i'm not sure if thats supposed to mean something

linger said:
i seriously want to see this happen, so if/when you do it post a lot pics and tell us how you did it.

Haha, no kidding....if this somehow worked out I'd really like to see as many shots as possible. ;)

cornelious0_0 said:
Haha, no kidding....if this somehow worked out I'd really like to see as many shots as possible. ;)

Will do!

Seem to be having a bit of trouble getting hold of a blown CPU though... :(

Back