Does RAM voltage affect the CPU?

When I crank up the RAM voltage on a S939 Athlon64 system, does that have any effect on the CPU, since the memory controller is built into the CPU?

I've got an A64 3000+ and 2x512 Corsair DDR550 RAM on an MSI K8N Neo Platinum 2. When I first put the system together, it was happily stable at 275FSB with the RAM running synchronous to the CPU. After a while, I could only get the system to be stable at that FSB if I cranked up the RAM voltage. Then I had to run the RAM asynchronously at the DDR333 setting. I posted on the Corsair forum because I thought that the RAM was failing since it required more voltage and wouldn't even run at its rated speed. The RAM Guy said that raising the RAM voltage actually puts more voltage through the memory controller on the CPU, and that it was more likely the CPU that was at fault. (Opinions on this statement?)

But lately I've been experiencing the good old BSODs, usually "PAGE FAULT IN NON-PAGED AREA" or "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL" even when running at the default 200FSB. Cranking up the RAM and CPU voltages has no effect whatsoever on stability. However, when I pull one of the sticks of RAM, the system appears to run fine. It doesn't matter which stick, so it looks like switching to single channel mode is what makes it happy again. Apparently something is cooked--I just need to figure out what it is.

I'm going to bring home an A64 and a pair of 512MB sticks from work to test out, but in the meantime, what do you guys think about the comment that RAM voltage actually affects the CPU's memory controller voltage?

It controls the voltage pumped to the physical ram slots, it has nothing to do with the memory controller on the processor. (as far as I know... I could be wrong)

Are you running at 1T or 2T timings, try 2T if you haven't already.

In that case, if the RAM started requiring more voltage to be stable, then it's probably the RAM that's failing?

<edit> I've been running at 1T. The RAM is rated at 275MHz at 2.5-4-8-4 1T. IIRC, I did try the 2T setting and it had no effect.

Back