ZipZoomFly problems

TeeJayHoward

Limpness Supreme
Background info: I live in Colorado Springs. My parent's house is in Trinidad. My bill is sent to Colorado Springs.

The Story: I'm out of hard drive space... AGAIN. So I'm off to spring for another 320GB SATA drive. ZipZoomFly did a good job with my MAU, so I figured I'd give them another shot. I'm moving in a week, so I wanted the drive shipped to my parent's house. I filled out everything, hit send, and got an error about the address not matching. No problem, methinks, it's just that my billing address is still set to my current address. I've gotta change that anyway, so I call the bank, and change it. Then I try to order the drive again from ZipZoomFly. Same error. Thinking it may be refreshing a cached page, I clear all stored info, exit and restart firefox, and put it all back in again. Same error. By this time, I'm completely confused, but I try to hit "Order" one more time. Different error this time. Something about unavailible funds.

I check my bank statement online. I've got four $132.49 charges, and my bank balance is in the negatives. A bit concerned, I attempt to contact their customer support. First off, it's a long distance number. Secondly, it's after hours. I call the next morning, and wait on hold for twenty minutes before I get... An answering machine. I call again an hour later, and I'm on hold for five minutes before I get someone on the line, who will "start the paperwork for me". That's nice and all, but what paperwork? What do I need to do to get my money back, and my drive sent? She hangs up on me before I could ask.

And that really irks me. I was HUNG UP ON. That was two days ago. My money still hasn't been returned, and I can't get a hold of anyone at ZZF.

I agree ZZF may have some low prices and free shipping, but when it comes to customer service THEY SUCK. I have had problems getting a live person on the phone too. I left repeated voicemails and emails, but nothing was ever returned. So I have stopped buying from them.

Finally got someone on the phone... It sounded like they've been awake for the past three or four days. They kept talking to someone else near them about waiting five more minutes or so. Anywho, they explained to me what was going on (which I've since confirmed) - My bank hates returning money like this, so my account will remain debited for 3 business days. Turns out the problem's with Bank of the West, not ZZF. The person, despite being very distracted, and sleepy-sounding, was quite helpful. I've got another WD3200JD on the way.

On the subject, who do you guys like for HDD purchases besides newegg and ZZF? I've got some shopping to do :)

DougLite said:
Newegg = Bad. Very Bad.

ZZF and HyperMicro.

I've never heard of the egg having problems. I've ordered a lot from them over the years, too.

edit: and HyperMicro doesn't seem to offer much variety at all.

Newegg does not properly care for hard dries during shipping. The bubble wrap and peanuts they use allow the drive to slide around in the box, exposing it to unnecessary shock. One only needs to look at drive "reviews" on Newegg, with users complaining about their drives dying within the first month, to realize that they need to do better.

ZZF and HyperMicro use foam shells arond the drives, making them a much better choice for buying HDDs. ZZF is worth the extra bucks.

Also, on PriceGrabber, Newegg has a 4.63 rating, ZZF 4.61 (and ZZF has more reviews, >17K for ZZF while Newegg only has just over 9K). I just don't see how ZZF can be that bad in terms of service.

Plus zipzoomfly doesn't charge tax...or it's included in the price...which is coo...with me since i live in cali.

Nope, they do charge tax for those of us in CA - 7.25% for everywhere but Alameda County (8.25%?)..

Well, at least Newegg ships products.

I placed an order with ZZF yesterday morning. They e-mailed me asking to verify my shipping address (but I had to do it by phone). I called at 4 pm (central) and left a message. I called at 5 pm. I called at 6 pm. I called this morning as soon as they opened and left another message. I called at noon today and left another message, with my work number since they aren't returning my calls on my home number. I called the customer service department and left them a message.

My order is over 24 hours old and hasn't been processed because they can't verfiy my shipping address, even though it's the same as my credit card billing address. They haven't returned my call after almost 24 hours.

I'm ordering with Newegg and having my card company stop the transaction if I don't hear from them soon.

LOL

well heres my shipping problems with harddrives... I wanted 4 250GB samsung P120 drives... which no one carries. Everywhere that did carry them had them for ~$120/drive but were sold out, EXCEPT www.ncix.com in canada. On top of that NCIX also sold them for $120 however it was on sale at the time for $103/drive which was awesome. Since I'm in CA not only would I save $20 per drive I would also save tax on $400 as I usually order from zzf or newegg. I was a little concerned about how long it would take to get considering they are located in Canada, however they have a USA site and clearly stated takes 1-2days to ship and 9 day shipping which would have been fine.... so I figured what hte hell and ordered.

Well that was retarded of me. For a product that 'ships in 1-2 days' it took them over a week... and because they took so long it didn't get sent out to make it here before holidays... and since it turns out their cheap service (which says 9 days) sucks somehow my tracking number's expected delivery date is 01-06-06. I ordered on 12-12-05. Thats good service, least it wasn't a full month :/.

On the other hand monarch computers impressed me... ordered cpu/mobo/ram from them monday at 4am or so... paid $9 shipping and they send it out monday (same day!) and it goes from GA to CA in 2 days and FedEx tried to deliver it at 11:55am today (wed) although I was at work... gonna go drive to the fedex place to pick it up right now.

Oh yea I can relate to the different shipping/billing addresses.. I HATE that crap. I also go through it when using my parents cc (I'm ni CA they're in IL). Now I just walk over to the atm take it out of their account put it in mine with wells fargo's no-envelop deposit atms.. money is available instnatly... so much less hassel. I ALWAYS got screwed making ordered and then few days later it turns out they got put on hold because shipping address was different. Some sites will say you need to call the bank and add the address as an allowed shipping address or something... well my mom tried that once and the lady on the phone said 'yea no problem!' and few weeks later I started getting my parents bank statement in the mail. She called back and the person on the phone had no idea how to allow my address to be shipped to, I'm not even sure such a thing exists... yet so many sites say to call your bank and add the address.

It took my lawyer calling ZZF to get my order canceld. I ordered the 7800gt and mobo deal a while back and they charged my card and put my order in step three, or "Packed" status, in one day. I was thinking, cool I will get this stuff in no time since it came with free 2day shipping. 5 days later, I am still in "Packed" status. By this time I have emailed and called (never being able to get through to a person) over 100 times. Then I get an email saying the items are out of stock. My next call was to my lawyer. The next day I had my money back and my order cancelled.

Same story with NewEgg on the same items, and the same result after them getting a call from her (my lawyer).

I filed complaints with the BBB, and will soon write up my resellerratings reviews. Since I got an order number for both.

I went with TigerDirect, and recieved my items in two days.

LOL here's a good fedex f*ckup.... show up at the place at 7pm, and there is a 10 people standing outside the door in the rain and all the fedex inside are ignoring them... and I walk up and everyone is super pissed because the truck driver guys were writing "Pick up your package(s) TODAY after _____ pm" and filling in 7:00 except the place CLOSES at 7pm... so they lock their door and 20 cars pull up. And I guess you can understand they f*cked up and wrong the wrong time but then the employees just ignore everyone at the door lol gj customer service.

Giving ZZF one more chance. I ordered parts for myself (last order was for a customer) yesterday.

Yesterday I ordered a P4 3.0E from ZZF and 2 GB Corsair XMS memory from Newegg, both with two-day shipping. If I have problems with ZZF again that's the last they'll hear from me, even though I do rather like the way they packaged the hard drive in my first order. It's not so much the delay that bothers me as it was the utter lack of communication. I had a problem with Newegg once and received an e-mail within two hours of the first message I left. I don't expect a lot, but I do expect some level of service. ZZF completely dropped the ball on that and got very negative reviews because of it.

Back