*Warning Intel Users*

Bain

n00b
Sending out a word of caution, I work at a canadian computer store and we have been receiving a rash of blown P4P800 boards. When I say blown I mean the board either won't boot or the usb will not work. On closer inspection this is cause by what seems to be a faulty Southbridge "FW82801ER". There are physical signs of damage including discoloration(browning), chips or pieces of the actual chip peeling back, large chunks missing from chip and the ever popular blue smoke. ASUS is aware of this problem but has not made a public statement, they will accept RMA of this board even though it is considered physical damage.

To play it on the safe side I would avoid any board with the 865PE chipset(865P chipset seems fine ..so far)

Boards so far affected:
P4P800 Deluxe
P4P800-E Deluxe
P4P800 SE
P4P800
P4P800-X
P4P800-VM

Apparently MSI boards have the same problem or similar syptoms with the same chipset

http://forums.devhardware.com/showthread.php?t=33530&page=1&pp=15

If your system has died from similar symptoms and has the 865 chipset please post here

couple fairly bad pics for ya

http://www.rowdy-inc.com/pfs.php?m=view&v=1-picture 008.jpg
a different chip
http://www.rowdy-inc.com/pfs.php?m=view&v=1-picture 004.jpg

zender said:
Yea, can you explain your last two links? :mad:

Ya see the lack/dark brown spot on the chip? That is where the "magic smoke" came out of.

In other words, it heated up, and melted the chip face because something beneath it fried.

-Skystalker

Holy shit! This same thing happened to my old MSI 875P board! It wouldnt boot half the time, then USB died. Finally the board wouldnt do anything at all when powered on, and there were burn marks near some of the SB traces. I couldnt RMA because I did some mods to the board. You sure the problem is only with 865 boards?

says:
Your ip is banned
Why: cause your Dutch
until: Never Expire
:confused:

I've seen that alot on Gigabyte motherboards. I've been seeing it for awhile. I bet it's just a bad batch of Southbridge chips.

Sir-Fragalot said:
I've seen that alot on Gigabyte motherboards. I've been seeing it for awhile. I bet it's just a bad batch of Southbridge chips.

I really hope so because it seems to be affecting a couple of store's in my city. A huge batch possibly ?

Could be a large batch. Who knows. It's large enough for multiple people to have encountered the problem, but not large enough for a recall.

It of course could be a common board component other than the southbridge they all share, and specifically not a chipset problem.

Electrolytic Capacitor Leak on some 875 & 865 based products

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/res...op/int_inst_info/dsk_factory_notes/193414.htm

Products Affected

Intel® Desktop BoardsD865GBF, D875BZL, D865GLC, D845EPI, D865PERC, D865GRH, D865PERL, D845GVSR, D865PESO, D845GLVA, D865GWV, and Intel® Entry Server Board S875WP1-E.

Issue Description

During inspection and routine cleaning, it was discovered that some capacitors had residue on their surface. The safety vent releases built up vapor, leaving a residue on the surface of the capacitor. These electrolytic capacitors are used for bulk decoupling of VCCP. No functional failures were observed. Intel believes that the capacitors will not short out and there are no safety concerns.

MD_Willington said:

The pictures show burnt I/O Controllers, not leaky electrolytic capacitors.

.B ekiM

I've really lost faith in Intel and Asus lately anyway. I bought a P4C800-E and its a piece of shit. The prescott 3.0 sucks that I put in it too. My gigabyte with a 2.53 northwood was MUCH MUCH better. This piece of shit reboots all the time for no reason, and its not the PSU or anything else. Its the stupid motherboard and its a known issue.

BossNoodleKaboodle said:
I've really lost faith in Intel and Asus lately anyway. I bought a P4C800-E and its a piece of shit. The prescott 3.0 sucks that I put in it too. My gigabyte with a 2.53 northwood was MUCH MUCH better. This piece of shit reboots all the time for no reason, and its not the PSU or anything else. Its the stupid motherboard and its a known issue.

I'll take the processor and motherboard off your hands for $50, shipped.

.B ekiM

BossNoodleKaboodle said:

Funny I do not have the same problem at all and everything in my rig is overclocked to the fastest I can run it and keep it stable. Should buy a 3.4 northy. I have heard pressies do not work good in the P4c800E Deluxe. Also could be several things. Ram got a ESD shock and is ruined, motherboard got an ESD shock and is ruined, you cpu is malfunctioning or something you have plugged into your motherboard is malfunctioning. My rig runs like a dream and only acts wrong when I overclock the hell out of it.

As for the starter of this thread I built my mom a rig with the P4P800E Deluxe Asus mb quite some time ago. She is using a hell of a lot of her usb ports and never had one problem. Here machine is fast as lightning and never hiccups and has yet to crash even once. Probably just a bad batch of 865 chips.

BossNoodleKaboodle said:
WTF I paid 220 for the mobo and 220 for the processor.

Maybe I misread your note, but I thought you said they were both pieces of shit. Or, at least, that one was a piece of shit and the other sucked.

If they're worth more than $50 to you, can they really be sucky pieces of shit?

.B ekiM

Shitty news, I just built a system yesteday with a P4P800 Deluxe however it's used and didn't seem to have any issues nor is it showing any now.

Well might as well give an update

We have now started getting a couple

MSI 865PE NEO2

same symptoms, small chip missing from southbridge this one had no burn marks

also had another P4P800 SE come into today where the customers system would reboot every time a usb device was plugged in. We hooked our usb loopback onto the computer and could reproduce the problem till the board didn't reboot anymore(asin dead... fit for RMA >8 ) )

One more thing I was wrong when I said Asus knows about this problem, they don't recognize it as an official problem but distributors are being flooded with these boards. The distributors are absorbing all the heat on this one.

Someone email asus for me and say WTF?! :)

mikeblas said:
The pictures show burnt I/O Controllers, not leaky electrolytic capacitors.

.B ekiM

Yes I understood that, I also added the link to the bad caps as well...

MD

Phonic said:
Your IP is banned.
Reason: Cause Your Dutch
Until: Never expire.

Lame.

yeah cant you just have the pictures shown on the boards? instead of a link. if there are pics.

:eek:

I was gonna get an ASUS P4800 SE motherboard thursday...

Ill think ill stay on the safe side and get the Gigabyte motherboard.

I got a Asus P4P800 w/ a P4 2.6 around 2003, its pretty rock solid. Maybe its the current generation of boards having the problem.

Somebody had pointed out that the older p4p800's were using an ICH5

and all the newer ones are using an ICH5R

so who knows

can someone host the pics for me ?

I had a system running the p4p800-e deluxe for 5 months no problems whatsoever and loved it, then one day randomly the southbridge had a hole in the side and bubbled. Luckily nothing else fried, and asus gave an advanced rma (they mail you a remanufactured and then you mail yours in). After only 4 days with the new reman motherboard it randomly shut off and I smelled burning again, now whenever I even turn on the powersupply with the motherboard hooked up, the southbridge chip gets so hot you can't hold your finger to it, and it takes less than two seconds to heat up that hot. Unfortunately Asus doesnt recognize this as a problem, and they wont issue another RMA until the original board has been looked at. Looks like im down without a comp for a while. I wish I had taken pictures because mine was worse by far than any others.

The PxP800 series of motherboards suck for build quality IMO. They cant hold voltage, thats why people (like me) have to volt mod the fuckers to overclock properly. If you want a good motherboard, get an abit IC7-G

Just wondering. If all these dead boards were sold at the one computer shop, perhaps they're all using a shit quality PSU cause although the p4x800 boards cant hold stable voltage they are extremely stable and its rare to hear any of them dying.

My advice is check the PSUs being used cause most computer stores use piece of shit ones that are probably frying the mobos.

Back