Is there such a thing as a good 24+ LCD for gaming ?

ead

Limp Gawd
I wonder, is there a good LCD with a size of 24 inch or more, that is both good for gaming (low response time, and low leg input), and yet have a good to excellent colors, viewing angle and so on?
Some thing I can both use for games (And a lot of them), and yet use it for office, internet, photos and so on ?

I wonder, is there a good LCD with a size of 24 inch or more, that is both good for gaming (low response time, and low leg input), and yet have a good to excellent colors, viewing angle and so on?
Some thing I can both use for games (And a lot of them), and yet use it for office, internet, photos and so on ?

not really.
good to excellent colors=*VA/IPS panels
low response time/lag=TN panels

its either one or the other, you either sacrifice speed for colors and vice versa.
they are getting much better though, but dont expect to win any quake 3 twitch type tournaments with them.
alot of games are fine, probably a majority of them, but lcd's just arent made to handle quick FPS's very well.

Most new LCDs are satisfactory for gaming, but most users on this forum are very nit picky because of their broad span of knowledge regarding LCDs. They take into consideration what most users don't, which is why we have the arguments TN/VA/IPS etc.

Doublesight DS-263N

Planar PX2611W

NEC LCD2490/2690WUXI

Honorable mention to the BenQ FP241W/VW

Regards,

10e

Doublesight DS-263N

Planar PX2611W

NEC LCD2490/2690WUXI

Regards,

10e

Yes I know all of this
But take for example the NEC - sure it is a great LCD, but for gaming ? not that good :(
Isn't there something good for all purpose ?

Yes I know all of this
But take for example the NEC - sure it is a great LCD, but for gaming ? not that good :(

The DoubleSight display has great viewing angles, a great image, and less than 1 frame of lag for gaming, I think it's going to be hard to find something better than that at it's cost.

This is your 9th thread asking the same question. Nothing has changed in the past day that will change the suggestions you get.

I recommend buying one of the very low input lag TN monitors for gaming and have a 2nd IPS or VA monitor (that maybe you buy later) for wide viewing angles and colors. I looked for the same compromise you did and never found this holy grail monitor in this size / price range. Closest thing for me is the Sharp LC32GP3U but its 32", costs > $1000 and has a low dot pitch so you need to be at least 3 feet away from it. It does have great viewing angles (VA great, not SIPS great) LOW input lag, low blur / ghosting and decent colors (better than most consumer monitors) especially after calibration.

Soyo MVA, and I can't notice the lag... or ghosting.

It was bad 3-4 years ago (I had a 19" LCD I paid $800 for, returned that same day because the ghosting was so bad for gaming)

It's overhyped bullshit now adays... Maybe a super-color accurate IPS that runs $1500 might lag a bit more because it's going to look so much better...

Speaking of this...does a 24" LCD displaying a blu ray disc on PS3 (HDMI) have comparable PQ in 1080p to a 40-46" 1080p HDTV set?

How about a 26-30" 720p HDTV set?

Thanks!

Most new LCDs are satisfactory for gaming, but most users on this forum are very nit picky because of their broad span of knowledge regarding LCDs. They take into consideration what most users don't, which is why we have the arguments TN/VA/IPS etc.

You got a point there. My girlfriend has quite old 19" TN BenQ. She konws nothing about various panel types, about lag, response time etc. and she happily uses her monitor for graphics (Illustrator, Photoshop), playing computer games (puzzle, The Sims) and watch movies. She does not care cor black or gamut. And she is HAPPY with the monitor. On the other hand... me... I know plenty and I'm constantly unhappy with this and that :)

Soyo MVA, and I can't notice the lag... or ghosting.

+1 for the Soyo 24" monitor... just make sure you get one with a manufacture date of 11/2007 or earlier (the label is on the back of the monitor). Check out the thread in this forum for more info. $299 when it's on sale at Office Max.

+1 Like everyone els I am impressed with my new Soyo 24" non tn panel from office max for $299.

Best bang for buck by far, games look amazing and run great!

Eizo S2431 is a nice display
6ms S-PVA

These might be worth considering, 8ms VA
LG L245WP
NEC MultiSync LCD2470WNX

Yes I know all of this

The 2490 is great for games, it has some input lag but it won't matter unless you game online with very fast games, and you care about high frag counts (in which case you should be using a CRT anyway). Or, unless you are hyper sensetive to lag, if not I doubt you could tell the difference.

6ms S-PVA

LG L245WP
NEC MultiSync LCD2470WNX

I read on Prad.de, that Eizo S2431 ahs over-stimulated Overdrive, ie not tuned well. Is it so?

6ms S-PVA

LG L245WP
NEC MultiSync LCD2470WNX

I'm using the LG L245WP-BN, and I can honestly say that I have no problems playing games on it whatsoever. I used to play Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (which is a very highly paced FPS) on a 17" TN 16ms ViewSonic VP171b on a semi-professional level. I picked up playing again to test the LG, and I can say that playing on the native 1920x1200 resolution is not causing me any trouble at all. I can aim at heads at fast as I used to :cool:

I used to play counter strike (both 1.6 and css) along with BF2, TF2, etc. a LOT and even relatively OK 24" monitors (as far as input lag goes) like the 2407 still make a big noticeable impact to my gameplay. If you're a good player its not a huge handicap - you can adjust to this slight handicap - and if you're not used to 0 lag gameplay on a CRT or other very low input lag monitor you may not even know that there is something better. But there is.

If you are used to gaming on a CRT or very low input lag monitor (mostly TNs upto this point, which is sad), don't take other people's word for whether low input lag will affect you or not - I used to dismiss input lag as a nit-pick of the overly finicky until I tried switching my main gaming monitor to the 2407 which averages about 2 frames of lag (the 2405 I had before that was literally unplayable for me.) I could play, but I felt slightly handicapped, kinda like playing on a server where my ping / choke / loss was less than optimal. These are expensive items to purchase and even small things like this can leave a bitter taste in your mouth, making you wish you'd done more research. Major take away is if you know enough to ask about input lag, and you play the sort of games where it makes a difference - namely online fps, fighting, rhythm, etc. chances are it will be noticeable for you. For the majority of user who use it for many other things, it does make no difference, but don't dismiss it as a real phenomenon.

Regading the input lag - isn't this more a matter of electronics than a display itself? I mean even a PVA display with good electronics can have low input lag, can't it?

Regading the input lag - isn't this more a matter of electronics than a display itself? I mean even a PVA display with good electronics can have low input lag, can't it?

Doubtful. For whatever reason all PVA screens tend to have at least 2 frames of lag. Even the Samsung 305T which has no scaler, no menus, nothing, the closest thing you will find to a bare panel. The worse lagging panels usually tend to be PVA panels.

Hi guys,
I'm sitting infront of the wife's Samtron 19" crt atm. I've been trying to understand as best I can what's being said here before I go ut and buy an lcd monitor for a new gaming system. I just learned I need to ask about "input lag". I was hoping to find some useful info, but all I have is a n00b headache! My gaming requirements will be limited to combat flight sims, some of which will have me racing low over the planet in fast props, jets or helicopters. I was worried about an lcd being able to produce blacks ( I've read that they can't), be ghost free, and all sorts of stuff that I never worried over with a crt. Guess I have a lot to learn.
turbodt

you and I are on the same quest. Between 24-37" It's hard to find a LCD monitor or LCD TV for under $800. I don't want any of that 720p crap either. It's sad because you can buy a 40" with same or better specs and priced similar.:(

If you can find a Soyo 24" monitor on sale for $299 at Office Max, in a box that says 6ms on the outside, you have a chance to get one with the *VA panel (manufacturer date <= 11/2007, some with date 12/2007). You have 14 days to return one, so you could always take a chance. And if you do get a good one, then you still have 14 days to see if it a monitor that you like.

Doublesight DS-263N

Planar PX2611W

NEC LCD2490/2690WUXI

Regards,

10e

Why honorable mention for the BenQ? I'm using it with no problems. Plus, it's been in the market for almost a year now with newer, "Rev.A" models in production without any major issues... They even fixed the PS3 overscan problems that people were having.

I am rather happy with both of my samsung monitors. 22" and 24".

Good color, no ghosting, games or blue ray content.

I don't have any issues concerning the monitor, but the "no lag" crew might. I have the FP241VW and I'm fairly happy with it, and I have the new firmware as well that can do the "overscan" on/off.

Regards,

10e

Why honorable mention for the BenQ? I'm using it with no problems. Plus, it's been in the market for almost a year now with newer, "Rev.A" models in production without any major issues... They even fixed the PS3 overscan problems that people were having.

Has anyone mentioned the Dell 2408? I know it's a little pricey at $600 but it appears to have a great stand, lots of inputs (including USB), and good PQ.

6ms S-PVA

LG L245WP
NEC MultiSync LCD2470WNX

I'm using the LG L245WP-BN, and I can honestly say that I have no problems playing games on it whatsoever. I used to play Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (which is a very highly paced FPS) on a 17" TN 16ms ViewSonic VP171b on a semi-professional level. I picked up playing again to test the LG, and I can say that playing on the native 1920x1200 resolution is not causing me any trouble at all. I can aim at heads at fast as I used to :cool:

I also vote for the LG L245WP, I have the L246WP ( same one, just retail I think ) and i absolutely love it, colors are pretty good, and I havent seen it ghost on my 360 (VGA), PS3 (HDMI), or my computer (HDMI)

Has anyone mentioned the Dell 2408? I know it's a little pricey at $600 but it appears to have a great stand, lots of inputs (including USB), and good PQ.

yes and its input lag is said to be atrocious.
its considered a step back from the 2407

just read up on it in the dedicated thread.
there have been people who have returned it because the mouse seems to "hover" on the screen.

Okay, I've made a thread on here of something similar to this one, but noone seems to reply. Perhaps here I'll have better luck.

I need a 24" monitor that is good for console gaming. I own both an Xbox 360 and a PS3. I also watch alot of Blu Rays on my PS3. I was looking the Dell 2408WFP, but now I don't know. I consider myself a seasoned gamer. I mainly play Action RPGs like Fable, Oblivion, and Mass Effect. I also play some action titles like Slinter cell, Drakes, etc..... I only play Military shooters like Socom, I also play Gears of War. And Military FPS like Call of Duty series, Brothers in Arms series, MOH series, etc....I do play some of these on LIve and PSN. Anyways I would like it if someone pointed me in the right direction.
I don't play any PC games. My computer is too slow. All this monitor will be used for is PS3, X360, Blu ray.
I also looked at the DoubleSight display and a few others I am througly confused and very tired.
Oh, and the reason why I am in the market for a monitor is that I want 1080p, but I cannot afford a new HDTV.
Thanks for the time and hope to hear some inputs.

Okay, I've made a thread on here of something similar to this one, but noone seems to reply. Perhaps here I'll have better luck.

I need a 24" monitor that is good for console gaming. I own both an Xbox 360 and a PS3. I also watch alot of Blu Rays on my PS3. I was looking the Dell 2408WFP, but now I don't know. I consider myself a seasoned gamer. I mainly play Action RPGs like Fable, Oblivion, and Mass Effect. I also play some action titles like Slinter cell, Drakes, etc..... I only play Military shooters like Socom, I also play Gears of War. And Military FPS like Call of Duty series, Brothers in Arms series, MOH series, etc....I do play some of these on LIve and PSN. Anyways I would like it if someone pointed me in the right direction.
I don't play any PC games. My computer is too slow. All this monitor will be used for is PS3, X360, Blu ray.
I also looked at the DoubleSight display and a few others I am througly confused and very tired.
Oh, and the reason why I am in the market for a monitor is that I want 1080p, but I cannot afford a new HDTV.
Thanks for the time and hope to hear some inputs.

I know it's not everyone fav. here but I have to cast another vote for the BenQ. It has all of the inputs your looking for and it does pixel-by-pixel display for 360 and PS3.

Hey Biges.
Input lag.

I had never experienced this before, until I got my new monitor (last week).
For me, I only see input lag on FAST online fps games (ie: quake 3).
This shows itself in this way:
I shoot at someone at point A. This shot goes right through their body, and should be a dead hit.
Instead, the shot is not a hit at all, and the person now seems to be at point B, instead of point A (like a split second later).
I have also noticed that sometimes there seems to be a missing frame or 2.
This manifests itself almost the same way, except I see a person at point A, and the next split second they are 1/2 way across to somewhere else, when it should have taken about 2-3 seconds to get to that other spot, instead of the split second.

I have been playing quake 3 online for about 8-9 years now. I know all the maps. I know the timings of everything (every jump pad, every jump to a lower level, etc etc).
I usually score either first or second place.
With the input lag of my new monitor, I now place 3rd to last place every time.
It just seems as if I am 2 seconds behind everyone else. They seem to see me first (always), and shoot first (always), which results in my dying first.

I have played 5 years on a crt.
I have played 3-4 (cant remember) on my current VX922 lcd.
I have played less than a week on my new widescreen/input lag/lcd monitor. And I have rma'ed the new monitor already.

The wierd thing is, is that I did not detect any input lag while playing single player mode (offline) fps titles.
Maybe this is because the sp games I am playing arent as fast paced as quake3 is. I dont know.
All I know (now) is that input lag is real, and there is no way that I personally could put up with it in a fast paced online game.

Your post is interesting, and troubling to me as I need to buy a monitor. I want to return to online gaming, but i don't need the lag thing either. I see you owned the Viewsonic VX922. I read the article posted by Atech, and saw that monitor had the lowest lag of all tested. Why are you replacing it, and what strikes your fancy? As much as i read about lcd drawbacks I'd as soon find a competent old school crt and wait for lcd tech to catch up, if that's doable.
later,
turbodt

Hello turbodt.
Well, the vx922 is long out of production.
I am replacing it because my dang boss at work got me a 19" widescreen monitor, and I have played a couple demo's on it (shame on me), and I like it more than the reg monitor. I also got used to doing things on a widescreen, since I have more realestate. Also, the widescreens have caught up to the height of the reg monitors (always bugged me that the height was SO much shorter on the widesreens).
Also, I move last year, and my computer room is MUCH smaller than it used to be. I used to be able to have 2 crt's and the vx922 hooked up to my 3 computers. But, now I dont have room for a crt on the 3rd comp, and I was going to kick down the vx922 so I could use my 98 system (yes, I still like to play Carmageddon 1 and 2 on it).
I also like the .27dpi (PP now?) on the 24" monitors.
Makes things look sharper.

I think it is going to be years before lcd tech catches up to crts, if it ever does.

I did some digging around, and found these monitors to be low input lag:
Dell E228WFP 22" $264
A little more lag than the vx922 (3.2 vs 2.2 avg), much better colors

BenQ G2400W 24" $380.84 shipped
Less lag than vx922 (1.9 vs 2.2), excellent colors

viewsonic vg2230wm 22"
$290-305.
Very little lag (1 vs 2.2).

I think I am going to take everyones advice in the BenQ post, and get the G2400W.
I love the 1920x1200 res. Everything looks so dang sharp at that res.
And most of the 22's are a .28dpi, and wont looks as good.
Even though I only want a monitor with low lag, having good default colors and sharpness is just icing on the cake.
:)

thanks Dave3d,
I really appreciate you taking the time to give a very thoughtful response. I've made some notes to refer back to for when I make a decision on a monitor. Your input plus the article link posted by Atech is very insightful, and address one of my major concerns. I also appreciate your take on the color reproduction of the monitors you mentioned. One thing though, where did you find the input lag figures on these monitors? In checking monitors at a few sites I did not see specs on input lag.
thanks!
turbodt

Should the input lag be lower in 1:1 resolution and when using lower resultion than maximum?

I think the question should be,

As a gamer, is it possible to have a ridiculous obsession over tiny differences in hardware that essentially have zero effect on my skill in X game?

YES!

I'm not implying this is you, but I'm just trying to warn you not to get caught up in this stuff. I did myself, and all it did was waste my money. In the end after switching from a crt to an LCD, my skill (in most FPSes - I like to think I'm well above average... comes from 10 years of quake :p) remained the same.

Even if there is "input lag" that is worse than your previous monitor, that doesn't really matter (of course unless it's EXTREME like over a second ;p). Why? Because with a little time playing on the new screen, if you're a decent FPS gamer, you automatically adjust to the new timing, without even thinking about it.

With the 24 in monitors nowadays, I'd say most if not all, are perfectly adequate for gaming. This didn't used to be true, given the ghosting problems with earlier LCDs. But that's pretty much vanished. Of course lots of people love to jump outta the word work and say "no way I still see ghosting", but if they really do, they aren't even playing the game, but staring intently at the edges of character models until they see something.

My 2 cents

Back