WinXP x64 - your thoughts?

mj007

[H]ard|Gawd
I'd like to know your thoughts in regards to WinXP x64's speed in particular. Yes I know not all softwares *ahem* antivirus and firewalls* work, but I am more interested to see how your speeds are with it. It seems with my install that I get a lot of hour glass watching, takes 2 minutes of watching the stupid x64 screen's progress bar load upon startup, it takes a long time expanding plus signs for folders, etc. When the PC is running a task, such as an exe I have clicked, the mouse pointer is really sluggish and jumps all over the screen. The OS cant detect some Silicon Image hardware that it should by using the CD that came with the mobo. It also bluescreened when installing some hardware.

It's not like I have a POS system either. I have a 3000+ Venice, Asus A8N SLI, 1GB of GSkill 4400 LE, 74 GB Raptor, and an X850 XT PE. The responsiveness of this OS is terrible for me so far. 32 bit blows this thing away. Even when installing Windows, it took me about 15 minutes to install 32 bit onto my Raptor. It took me about 40 minutes tonight for x64. WTF?

Anyone else have these issues?

Its mostly the lack of mature drivers and software. Go back to 32bit and wait awhile.

nope, its not sluggish on my system. installed the same, works the same. perfect. used it for a week but im back on 32bit. no free antivirus and dvd software made me go back. didnt feel like purchasing more stuff. will use it prob in another 3 months when it matures alil. even BF2 ran fine.

amd 64 3200+ venice
asus a8ne
1gb ram
36 raptor
x700pro
audigy 2 zs

Windows is not something I'd want to be a guinea pig with. Let the rest of the world find the bugs.

It was good until I installed video drivers. It'd crash before the driver setup even finished and then it wouldn't boot afterwards. Maybe it's just the trial edition I'm using.

Mine runs great. I had to underclock my overclock from 2.6 to 2.47 inorder for it to run properly. But besides that everything runs the same if not a little faster. My photoshop editing has became a little faster. Plus I have it on 2 of my 8 systems without any problems....

only installed it to play the 64 bit version of far cry. Otherwize woopty-do. Colors, spacemen, frogs, and all the stupid themes you need, in 64bit :rolleyes:

you'll have to pry win 2k out of my cold dead hands!

Wiseguy10k said:
It was good until I installed video drivers. It'd crash before the driver setup even finished and then it wouldn't boot afterwards. Maybe it's just the trial edition I'm using.
dl the latest drivers from online?

i had an ati card and the latest online 64bit drivers worked fine.

linjy2 said:
nope, its not sluggish on my system. installed the same, works the same. perfect. used it for a week but im back on 32bit. no free antivirus and dvd software made me go back. didnt feel like purchasing more stuff. will use it prob in another 3 months when it matures alil. even BF2 ran fine.

amd 64 3200+ venice
asus a8ne
1gb ram
36 raptor
x700pro
audigy 2 zs

avast has free antivirus and firewall software. 64bit native

cyberlink powerdvd works well on 64bit also

i run 64bit all the time i have a 32bit install on 2nd HD but i only use it when i play Fate or the few other pc games that dont like windows 64

Converting all the home systems and systems I maintain over that have 64bit procs.....so a total of 12. Of which I have had just one problem with a zip driver :rolleyes: Other than that they have been rock solid. No driver problems. Firewall's and antivirus are fine with the available 64bit versions. Systems "feel" faster according to the users. I like it so far.

linjy2 said:

I am with you on this one. I went back the 32 bit for the same reason..

I'm giving x64 a try, I've been using it for about a week, thing is that most 64bit software and drivers I've tried are beta, so obviously its not very stable.

Just uninstalled DeerPark (aka firefox64) as most plugins won't work and its quite buggy. Using regular firefox instead..

I kind of like Avast, but I'd rather have a working AVG free.

The OS boots fast and its quite responsive, but some 32bit apps take quite a while to load.

I'm installing WinXP tomorrow, I'll keep X64 on other HD, once 64bit apps start appearing it should be quite good.

A64 3000+ venice
MSI k8n neo2 platinum
6800GT
1gb DDR400
120gb HD

dajet24 said:
avast has free antivirus and firewall software. 64bit native

cyberlink powerdvd works well on 64bit also
hmm...now i just need the dvd program. i have windvd, that doesnt work. not sure if i should buy powerdvd just yet. otherwise 64bit works good.
i was dualbooting off a 36gb raptor, lol. had to reformat because needed more hd space on my 32 os.

ya i was running deerpark also. buggy.

linjy2 said:
hmm...now i just need the dvd program. i have windvd, that doesnt work. not sure if i should buy powerdvd just yet. otherwise 64bit works good.
i was dualbooting off a 36gb raptor, lol. had to reformat because needed more hd space on my 32 os.

ya i was running deerpark also. buggy.

You can use media player classic as a dvd player. Its not fancy but it can do the job until windvd has a 64bit patch.

I liked WinXP 64, I found it very stable and fast. I reverted back though because I recently bought a MS Keyboard with finger print reader which I really like and it doesn't have any drivers for win64. Thanx MS. But the final straw for me is all the big virus scan companies don't make a 64bit virus scan. :(

Driver support for me was fine though for the major stuff.
Nvidia and Creative both had good win 64 support.

Stoly said:
You can use media player classic as a dvd player. Its not fancy but it can do the job until windvd has a 64bit patch.
wmp 10 plays dvd just fine. But who uses that for dvd anyways...
i like to use a real dvd program to take advantage of dts and all the fancy stuff. :D

JohnleMVP- antivirus been posted in this thread. supposely avast has a 64bit out.

I liked it a lot. Every time I installed my sound drivers it restarted. I can't have a pc with no sound, so I went back to 32. My board even has x64 sound drivers. Huh. :(

Apollo686 said:
I liked it a lot. Every time I installed my sound drivers it restarted. I can't have a pc with no sound, so I went back to 32. My board even has x64 sound drivers. Huh. :(

What sound drivers are you using?

linjy2 said:
JohnleMVP- antivirus been posted in this thread. supposely avast has a 64bit out.

Yes avast does as does Symantec (version 10.0)and McAffee Corporate

Spectre said:
What sound drivers are you using?

Sound drivers for the Intel onboard audio on the 925xe chipset. I tried the drivers both off intel's site and off realtek's site.

Yeah I cant for the life of me figure out why it was so sluggish and crappy. I'm gonna put x64 away in the closet for a while until all the bugs get worked out. Nothing annoys me more than a slow, chugging PC. :rolleyes:

Although now that I have a x2 4400+ on the way, I'm tempted to bust it out again.... :D

Maybe when I find some time....

Aaron_ATX said:
only installed it to play the 64 bit version of far cry. Otherwize woopty-do. Colors, spacemen, frogs, and all the stupid themes you need, in 64bit :rolleyes:

you'll have to pry win 2k out of my cold dead hands!

WOOT!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks 2K was better overall than XP, it just lacked support for newer techs.

as for using XP 64, I have not.
However, with the announcement of Vista (formerly Longhorn) and its beta release, the odd way that MS swapped XP 32 for XP 64 ("free" swap, voiding warranties along the way) and Intel's near silence, I think XP 64 is a mere holding card until the new OS appears (similar to ME.)
So, I think that, tho it does show future potential, the real potential will be reserved for Vista. (Gotta make you pay for the upgrade or MS makes no $$$.)

Works fine for me, no problems so far. Seems as fast as the 32bit version to me.

tried, found 2many driver issues and stuff crappin out, hope to get my 32 bit runnin stable on my new setup :rolleyes:

Found drivers for everything I have, ati video card, ethernet card, audigy 2, chipset etc... drivers for my raid card were a little tougher. Had to search for them but found those too. using avast for anti virus. My major gripe is I want a better firewall. Windows built in firewall, and tiny are the only firewalls I have found so far :( strangely enough internet explorer seems much much faster now. wonder why? i have 32 bit xp as a dual boot. It's nice enough, but I can't recommend this as an upgrade. I got kind of tired of seeing windows not installing software. Luckily i can access my other harddrive that has all of my software installed already and just run the programs from there after i make shortcuts to the xp64 desktop.

Apollo686 said:
Sound drivers for the Intel onboard audio on the 925xe chipset. I tried the drivers both off intel's site and off realtek's site.

Nuts. Well sorry I don't have anything for you then. :(

I'd really like to try it, but i am afraid that LaTeX and the stuff that i am running with it will not work on XP64. I have my TT bundle sitting here, but still need a case and RAM.

I just installed Windows XP Pro x64 last night. Everything was going well until my motherboard's (Asus A8N-E) sound driver was not being recognized. So I have no sound, which sucks. I figured that Asus would play nicely w/ Win 64 since they teamed up w/ AMD for the Tech Tour. :confused:

Drivers,drivers,drivers especially if you have a little older stuff that you like to use or have been using. It didn't find any of my motherboard hardware to load so I had to hunt for almost everything to download. I would stay with XP Pro for all your operating system needs.

After playing around with it this weekend, and getting most everything I need working, the only things I'm still having troubles with are:

-Can't get any Instant Messaging service working (MSN, Yahoo, AIM, GAIM, you name it)
-32-bit browsers won't run

I'm guessing the problem is my onboard LAN (running a Shuttle SN95G5v3) :(

I'd go back to 32-bit, but it won't let me begin the Install in Windows, AND the CD won't boot upon startup...blah, very stressful weekend in that aspect....

I love it and everything is working good for me. Every program I use works great, and it seems to be snappier.

Back