My 280GTX died - word of caution!

tedkj

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2008
Woke up today to a black screen and after som hardware swapping it seems my Asus 280GTX is dead in the water...

Had it running a very nice OC stable @ 1520Mhz (got it to stay stable for couple of hours at 1530Mhz, and dipped off 10Mhz just to be sure). All this at stock Voltage, so I figured I picked a winner in the OC-lottery and all was good...

I've never had a component fail on me running at a rock stable OC at stock Voltage, so this is a first.. (well, atleast for the last 10 or so years!). Checked all the rails on the PSU etc, everything checks out good.

System is running on a UPS with power conditioner, no spikes registered in the UPS log, and the room is airconditioned so ambient heat is out of the equation..

Tempted to RMA it, although OC'ing was my own choice. It's about $850 here in Norway, What do you guys think?

:( *cry* :(

For that amount of money, and considering nVidia has overclocking built into their drivers, and Asus makes overclocked from the factory cards, I would assume you'd be fine to RMA it.

It goes without saying that one always risks killing a product when they overclock it, so it shouldn't be a surprise when it dies, but, this being a new line of video cards we really don't know what to expect in how much OC they can handle..

But, yea, you have nothing to lose by trying to RMA it.

RMA it.

Add it to the lng list of deaths for the flolding cause.

$850 !! wow!!
for that kinda dough you should expect the nVIDIA CEO to come by your house and change that friggin´card himself!!! :D

well yes RMA time
or u can send that card to me, i could use another keychain ;)

I had a BFG Geforce GTX 280 OC card on me die in less than 3 days of ownership. I was running two of them in SLI and playing Crysis. After a couple of minutes the screen went blank and then my system wouldn't come on anymore. I ended up pulling out the card and I tossed it into another computer and I got white dots, and all kinds of artifacts even on the BIOS screen. In Windows it wouldn't give me anything over 4-bit color and it wouldn't do anything over 640x480.

I had a BFG Geforce GTX 280 OC card on me die in less than 3 days of ownership. I was running two of them in SLI and playing Crysis. After a couple of minutes the screen went blank and then my system wouldn't come on anymore. I ended up pulling out the card and I tossed it into another computer and I got white dots, and all kinds of artifacts even on the BIOS screen. In Windows it wouldn't give me anything over 4-bit color and it wouldn't do anything over 640x480.

wow!!!
that is really unacceptable for that price tag
i wonder what is the failure ratio for the GTX 280 :eek:

wow!!!
that is really unacceptable for that price tag
i wonder what is the failure ratio for the GTX 280 :eek:

People act like this is a big deal. The fact is that computer hardware dies sometimes. Occasionally you'll purchase something and it will turn out to be defective. My card was clearly defective as it died at stock speeds while running at stock voltages. I did nothing to the card other than try to use it. I hadn't even really played games on them either until that one failure occured. I returned the card to the store and exchanged it for another one. I've had no problems with either of them since.

People act like this is a big deal. The fact is that computer hardware dies sometimes. Occasionally you'll purchase something and it will turn out to be defective. My card was clearly defective as it died at stock speeds while running at stock voltages. I did nothing to the card other than try to use it. I hadn't even really played games on them either until that one failure occured. I returned the card to the store and exchanged it for another one. I've had no problems with either of them since.

Indeed, electronics might fail, that happens, now why does that happen? does it has something with the enormous size of that GPU? should we wait till it shrinks to 55nm to actually buy that card?

lets make a little analogy here
if u buy a Ferrari you don´t expect it to broke down on you after just 3 days, now that would never happen to Ferrari, you know why? because it´s Quality Assurance department makes sure that all the cars that go out of that factory have top quality.

well u can figure out the rest ;)

my whole ppd setup costs less than your one card :eek::eek::eek:

I used to be that way (getting all new parts when they came out) but not anymore...give me last generation's parts at a discount :D

Instead of a Ferrari, I'd rather just have 6 Yugo's...if one breaks down, you can throw it away and crack open another one :D:D:D

Instead of a Ferrari, I'd rather just have 6 Yugo's...if one breaks down, you can throw it away and crack open another one :D:D:D

you mean a Yugo like this one

4x4yugo.jpg

crazy enough for ya ;)

I would RMA since you kept it cool and you did not raise the voltage. I would probably feel guilty about RMAing if I had jacked the voltage up though.

I would RMA since you kept it cool and you did not raise the voltage. I would probably feel guilty about RMAing if I had jacked the voltage up though.

but how would they know if u overclock/overvolt your vid card? :confused:

[H]ugh_Freak;1032700637 said:
a Yugo with a roll cage....????????????????

oh yeah :cool:

you mean a Yugo like this one

Obvious fake.
We all know that a real monster Yugo would have a rebel flag sticker, PBR cans on the dash, and a racoon tail on the antenna. :D :D

my whole ppd setup costs less than your one card :eek::eek::eek:

I used to be that way (getting all new parts when they came out) but not anymore...give me last generation's parts at a discount :D

I wouldn't. I don't see myself enjoying the Yugo. So having a ton of them wouldn't do anything for me. I'd rather have something that's fun and reliable. Cost is always a secondary issue to me.

Cost is always a secondary issue to me.

okey, take it easy big boy!!

we are just poor mortals :eek: :(
care to share some of your fortune with your less fortunate fellows?

you better be folding with that hardware !! :mad:

okey, take it easy big boy!!

we are just poor mortals :eek: :(
care to share some of your fortune with your less fortunate fellows?

you better be folding with that hardware !! :mad:

Actually, I am ashamed to admit it, but I've been bad about folding lately. I've got tons of hardware to do it, but I haven't been doing my due dilligence on that.

I said cost was secondary, but that's not quite right. I do draw the line somewhere, but that's usually drawn at Extreme Edition processors and SAS drives.

Actually, I am ashamed to admit it, but I've been bad about folding lately. I've got tons of hardware to do it, but I haven't been doing my due dilligence on that..

don´t worry, you can redemption, it is always possible. That is if u repent your sins and start folding ASAP ;)

Glad to see you're keeping your not-quite-bleeding-but-definitely-badly-injured edge hardware going Dan_D. Still running the q6600 or did you move to 45nm? And I assume since you didn't like 780 much you moved to 790i and DDR3?

I think we'll be seeing a lot of gpus die for the folding cause. I don't think they can take 24/7 full time folding, unless some after market cooling or water cooling is applied to the card, or at least remount the heatsinks with articsilver

I think we'll be seeing a lot of gpus die for the folding cause. I don't think they can take 24/7 full time folding, unless some after market cooling or water cooling is applied to the card, or at least remount the heatsinks with articsilver

Naw, my MSI 8800GT runs 24/7 at 52c with its stock HSF.
My main system does more PPD al much lower temps then two SMP clients.

I think we are fine..... It will be pushing the OC to the max that will burn some of them out.

Most will just crash before they get tot he point that they can do damage.

I heard a batch of GTX 280 run hotter than usual. I know a guy who tried watercooling a GTX 280 and despite a perfect mount, it run hotter than with aircooling. After talking to the vendor, they deemed it to be defective so they exchanged with a new one then it works as expected.

Maybe this is the same as you...

Just got back from the hardware shop, and this wasn't their first 280GTX RMA for beeing defective already. I told them about the OC and folding on it, but they didn't care and said it was nVidia's problem for putting out early batches which had some issues with heat - and that unless they could see any physical trace of abuse, they'd RMA it even if I did overvolt it to hell and back.

Either way, this gave me a chance to finally slot in the 4870 and give it a run. A notsogreat 1930 PPD running P4727/GPU2, and it does 100% on one of my cores. Running SMP at the same time fubared everything giving me 120PPD from GPU2 ;p

However, when gaming AoC I found that it was very smooth, and I could see no difference in performance compared to the 280GTX (which was a huge upgrade from 8800GT). Better yet, I thought it looked much better. I don't know why or how, but the scenery just seemed more real, more vibrant, and aliasing seemed much better when in motion.

This was all at 1920x1200, 16x AF, 16x AA, Transparency AA enabled, all settings high, most maxed, shadows off. ATi gets a thumb up from me for sure - the 2nd I'm holding back until they clean up the ATi GPU2 core :)

This was all at 1920x1200, 16x AF, 16x AA, Transparency AA enabled, all settings high, most maxed, shadows off. ATi gets a thumb up from me for sure - the 2nd I'm holding back until they clean up the ATi GPU2 core :)

I'll be picking up a 4850 for my rig as soon as they clean it up. I think ATI will see many a card sold to ppl in folding once they get the new WU out that can handle the cards.

I'll be picking up a 4850 for my rig as soon as they clean it up. I think ATI will see many a card sold to ppl in folding once they get the new WU out that can handle the cards.

problem is, I've seen nothing that indicates that's going to happen anytime soon.

Back