Planar PX2611W 26"

i've never even heard about this compagny.... though it would be a crappy monitor. but for 999$ it may be good.... gotta find more

i've never even heard about this compagny.... though it would be a crappy monitor. but for 999$ it may be good.... gotta find more

I think Planar is mostly into wholesale and specialty type displays - medical, touchscreen, atm/kisoks, 3d, mission critical screens. They actually may be dropping down somewhat into the retail space with lcd monitors.

I think Acer has a better color gamut. I put a couple of questions into Planars contact us Q&A system. Will post response if I get a response.

Planar finally responded to my request. This monitor is an S-IPS...it must be a different type of S-IPS since the response time is 5 ms. Interesting since this monitor is listed for $999.

From Planar:

Thank you for contacting Planar Online Customer Support.

This unit contains an S-IPS panel.

Regards,
David Fisk
Planar Technical Support
866-Planar1 (866-752-6271)

Dell's 30" S-IPS can be had for around that price. Its not that hard to believe.

Product Name PX2611W

Planar Part Number 997-3497-00

Viewable Size 26 inch diagonal

Contrast Ratio (Typical) 800:1

Viewing Angle (Typical) 178° Horizontal and Vertical (specified at CR>10:1)

Response Time (Typical) 5 ms GTG featuring Planar's RapidVideo™ accelerator, 12 ms (5.5 rise, 6.5 fall)

Brightness (Typical) 500 cd/m²

Display Type LCD Active Matrix Flat Panel Display (TFT)

Display Resolution 1920 x 1200 WUXGA

Tilt Range -5° to +40°

Palette 16.7 million colors

Pixel Pitch 0.2865 mm

Refresh Rate 50 to 76 Hz (60 Hz recommended)

Dimensions (W x H x D) 23.39" x 18" x 10.77" (height is adjustable 2.22" from 15.78" to 18")

Dimensions without Stand 23.39" x 15.27" x 3.74"

Panel Depth 3.74"

Display Weight 24.7 lbs. (net), 29.5 lbs. (shipping), 11.2 kg (net), 13.4 kg (shipping), Weight without stand: 16.4 lbs. (net)

Video Inputs Digital DVI-D with HDCP, Analog (VGA), USB 2.0

External Connections (1) DVI 24-pin connector, (1) Analog VGA D-sub 15-pin video display, (1) USB Hub 4+1

Compatibility PC and Mac® (adapter may be required for Mac)

Power Supply Internal

Power Consumption 135 Watt (2 Watt Standby)

Power requirements AC 100-240 VAC, 50/60 Hz

VESA Compatible/Location Built-in 200 x 100mm VESA, back

Product Approvals UL/cUL, CE, FCC-B, TUV/GS

Service and Support 3-Year Customer First™ warranty featuring FREE 2-Day Advance Replacement for three full years

Options / Features RapidVideo™ accelerator, Quadstand™ with swivel, tilt and height adjustments, 1-touch auto-adjust, anti-glare coating, 200x100mm VESA mount, Kensington® Security slot

I just received confirmation from Planar that this model uses the same LM260WU1 panel as the NEC 2690WUXi.

The specs for this IPS panel:

Model Name LM260WU1

Active Area [mm] 550.08 x 343.8

Outline Dimension [mm] 582 x 375.6

Thickness [mm] 41.5

Resolution 1920 x RGB x 1200

Aspect Ratio 16:10

Pixel Pitch [mm] 0.2865

Number of Colors 16.7(8bit)

Luminance [cd/㎡] 500

Color Saturation (%) 92%

Weight [g] 3520

Contrast Ratio 1000:1/3000:1(W/DCR)

Interface LVDS

Viewing Angle [˚,U/D/L/R] 178/178

Color Temperature [K] 6,500

Response Time [ms] 5msGTG

MP Schedule Now

It will be interesting to see if any reviews come out for this monitor.

It wont have a 12 bit LUT or the other features like colorcomp ( I assume,anyway )so to see what a the same pannel shows without these features will be interesting !!

its looks good, no DCR though however is should be the best 26" LCD in regards to response time and input lag.

I just received confirmation from Planar that this model uses the same LM260WU1 panel as the NEC 2690WUXi.

So Rembrandt, are you gonna take one for the team and be the first to try one? This could be just what I've been looking for: a 24"+ IPS for less than $1000.

its looks good, no DCR though however is should be the best 26" LCD in regards to response time and input lag.

From the specs it looks like response time is 5ms with their "accelerator" feature on, and 12ms with it off. But input lag has nothing to do with response time.

From the specs it looks like response time is 5ms with their "accelerator" feature on, and 12ms with it off. But input lag has nothing to do with response time.

It will be interesting to see the results here. The 2690 have a lot of image processing and tests have shown approx. 2 frames delayed. There might be some frame buffer going on, and the Planar might prove to have less input lag. :)

I have a couple of questions that I have asked Planar that concerns me. The thing that concerns me the most is that they do not say anything about the added color space that the panel offers in any specs or promotional material. I see a caution flag there. I would think that this would be a major promotional point but there is nothing written about it anywhere on their site. I would also like to have a user’s manual to see what functions are in the control panel and if the added color space is utilized in this monitor or if it can be turned on or off.

Planar is not what you would call a mainstream aftermarket consumer product. Their line is geared more to the office and medical field of monitors. This shows up in the inputs with this monitor. There are only basic hookups in the back which is just fine for me. I do not game but this has a potential of being a potent PC gaming monitor. For those, like me, that are looking for an upscale Photoshop and HD video monitor this looks like it could be the one without having to go the way of the NEC. An IPS screen is critical to my needs because I can not have the color/contrast shifts that the other panels have but I do not need the print critical needs that a NEC offers.

I have a couple of questions that I have asked Planar that concerns me. The thing that concerns me the most is that they do not say anything about the added color space that the panel offers in any specs or promotional material. I see a caution flag there. I would think that this would be a major promotional point but there is nothing written about it anywhere on their site. I would also like to have a user’s manual to see what functions are in the control panel and if the added color space is utilized in this monitor or if it can be turned on or off.

Planar is not what you would call a mainstream aftermarket consumer product. Their line is geared more to the office and medical field of monitors. This shows up in the inputs with this monitor. There are only basic hookups in the back which is just fine for me. I do not game but this has a potential of being a potent PC gaming monitor. For those, like me, that are looking for an upscale Photoshop and HD video monitor this looks like it could be the one without having to go the way of the NEC. An IPS screen is critical to my needs because I can not have the color/contrast shifts that the other panels have but I do not need the print critical needs that a NEC offers.

My unserstanding is that it is using the 26 inch panel with standard color space. i.e. 72% not 92%. So basically it is hte same IPS panel with a different backlight sytem.

Thank you Tamlin for the link to the manual. I was there Friday morning and it was not on their page at that time. That is why I asked them for a PDF of the manual yesterday morning. It looks like they listened and put it up sometime later in the day.

I have the same feeling that Travbomb does about the panel construction.

Thank you Tamlin for the link to the manual. I was there Friday morning and it was not on their page at that time. That is why I asked them for a PDF of the manual yesterday morning. It looks like they listened and put it up sometime later in the day.

I have the same feeling that Travbomb does about the panel construction.

They don't advertise it as a widegamut screen, but it remains to be seen. It will be interesting when the reviews starts to arrive on this. The screen might not have all the image controls and fancy features as the 2690 and maybe not option to do both sRGB and widegamut (very few can below $2000), but if you don't need it in your work, it might prove well worthy to check out. Seems like an interesting screen. :)

They don't advertise it as a widegamut screen, but it remains to be seen. It will be interesting when the reviews starts to arrive on this. The screen might not have all the image controls and fancy features as the 2690 and maybe not option to do both sRGB and widegamut (very few can below $2000), but if you don't need it in your work, it might prove well worthy to check out. Seems like an interesting screen. :)

If travbomb is right about the Planar having 72% NTSC color gamut, that would actually be just what I need. I don't do any Adobe RGB photos--just sRGB--so a wider color gamut LCD would be wasted and in fact make my colors inaccurate. 92% sounds better than 72% in theory, but the reality doesn't necessarily match the theory.

If travbomb is right about the Planar having 72% NTSC color gamut, that would actually be just what I need. I don't do any Adobe RGB photos--just sRGB--so a wider color gamut LCD would be wasted and in fact make my colors inaccurate. 92% sounds better than 72% in theory, but the reality doesn't necessarily match the theory.

If you don't need to view aRGB and CMYK color space, then its hard to justify a wider gamut. But even if it should have wider gamut, it has a sRGB preset according to manual, so you might be able to dummify it anyway to sRGB! :)

Now that I have viewed the users manual, my main concern now is the back light situation. How is it back lighted and is there going to be any problems with it.

If you don't need to view aRGB and CMYK color space, then its hard to justify a wider gamut. But even if it should have wider gamut, it has a sRGB preset according to manual, so you might be able to dummify it anyway to sRGB! :)

In other words, RTFM, right? :D Thanks for the info. I'm kinda skeptical about what the so-called "sRGB" mode does though. From the sparse manual details it looks like it might just be another color balance preset. I doubt there's actual mapping from the wider gamut (if the panel really has it) to sRGB gamut being performed there.

In other words, RTFM, right? :D Thanks for the info. I'm kinda skeptical about what the so-called "sRGB" mode does though. From the sparse manual details it looks like it might just be another color balance preset. I doubt there's actual mapping from the wider gamut (if the panel really has it) to sRGB gamut being performed there.

Just had to look up what RTFM means... LOL!

A valid question indeed. :) sRGB is a colorspace. For a widegamut to be able to limit itself to that space, it cannot use the whole gamut. If the whole wide gamut was active, you wouldn't have sRGB now, would you? :) Therefore you know, by checking the deepest color that the gamut is limited. The screen have 256 shades per color regardless of colorspace. Mapping of these colors goes through the monitors internal LUT (lookup table). When using a sRGB preset, the monitor have hardware mapped the 16,7M colors within the limited gamut.

Its late in Norway, so I hope this was clear enough. Please ask if something was unclear.

Hello!

I am a new visitor to these forums, and while nosing around I discovered this thread.

I own a Planar PX2611W. I purchased it directly from Planar off their www sight about a month ago. The vast majority of the time, it gets used for gaming. Driving it are 2 nVidia 7900GTX cards in SLI mode. All of my previous experience has been with a 19" Sony Trinitron CRT.

So far, I am VERY pleased with the monitor's performance. I see no ghosting at all while playing fast FPS games.

You guys seem to know a lot more about LCD monitors than I do, but if I can answer any questions or perform any performance tests (within reason!) I'd be happy to help out.

Regards,
zendrum

Newbie bump. I'm really interested in this monitor; I've been looking for a nice big S-IPS to replace my 19" for some time now, and I was almost ready to suck it up and look at the NEC (or maybe go PVA; admittedly there are worse fates, but I'm used to IPS panels and I like them best) when I saw this thread.

zendrum, if you have a camera (or even a cameraphone) and some free time, could you do me/us a favor and take some snapshots of the thing? What I'd mainly like to see would be the monitor displaying an all black picture, one shot from head on, one shot from an angle, to see if it has the 2690's bleed (not something that bothers me personally; I found out with a 1980 that you can move it around with your fingers) and to see if it has the characteristic S-IPS look from angles (I just want to be 100% sure before I make the plunge). Pictures of the monitor displaying Far Cry or Oblivion, showing a movie, lying on a bed with a thong on, etc. would also be cool, but it's the black shots I'm personally interested in. No rush at all, if you're busy, and thanks in advance either way.

I think this is the one I am leading towards as well. Yeah, Zen, some pics would be great.

+1 interest from me as well. I stumbled upon this today trying to make a decision on a 24" monitor, and this looks like a great deal so far. I might just bite the bullet and be a guinea pig on this one.

Sometimes marketing departments don't understand what is important to geeks...Dell specifies 16ms for the 2007WFP when it is actually 8ms and their new 2707WFP is wide gamut but that wasn't mentioned in the specs at release. (but may be now)

Sorry to hijack this thread. I've email Planar about their 24" version, and didn't receive a reply. Does anyone know if it uses IPS panel?

It is a confirmed IPS panel. The panel number is the same one that is used in the NEC 2690.

Sorry about that NeverSummer07. I did not look close enough to what model you asked for.

Heh, it's on my newegg wish list. I'm gettin' close. Just can't decide between it and the HC Dell 3007...

Back