Hmmmmm B&M X1800XL @ Frys (on the shelf)

R1ckCa1n

Supreme [H]ardness
Well I started off at Frys today to get a DVI -> HDMI cable for my new Sharp 32" LCD TV and ATI Express 200 based Shuttle and found this little gem. So the question is, will THIS make the [H] front page?

I will see how well this runs in my Shuttle before ripping my AquaComputer based watercooling setup apart to remove the 7800GTX.

BTW: They had six (now five :) ) of them on the shelf at the Fountain Valley Frys.

x1800xl.JPG

Rip off the heatsink and give us the speed rating on the RAM. After that see if the core will clock. That'll make front page news :)

Yea pleas give us the speed rating (heck just give us the whole model number ot the ram) so we can check what speed there rated for, then tell us if it can overclock to XT speeds (625GPU,700RAM I think) :D

Chilly

Chilly said:
Yea pleas give us the speed rating (heck just give us the whole model number ot the ram) so we can check what speed there rated for, then tell us if it can overclock to XT speeds (625GPU,700RAM I think) :D

Chilly

I think the XT is 750/1500 on the RAM.

OldBoy said:
I think the XT is 750/1500 on the RAM.

Oh, well I know I was atleast right on the GPU, 625MHz Core, see if you can overclock AT LEAST that high, if not more :D

Almost $500 out the door :eek:

It's going to suck when shopping on the internet will get taxed. :(

*Although if I had a Fry's near me, I would go there every week ;)

Yeah, 449.00 is steep but at least I paid MRSP for a card less than a week old which is less than can be said for the 599.00 I paid for my 7800GTX two days after it's launch.

From an outside perspective, Frys has these right next to the PNY 7800GTX's with a price of 599.00 on them. The sad part was all the 7800GTX's and GT's had return stickers on them. As a regular Fry's shopper, never buy a returned product is a must. Will be interesting how long they stay on the shelf.

All the XL's are using 1.4ns ram rated for 1400MHz, only thing is does it allow enough voltage for the speed.

Actually if you really dont mind taking off that heatsink there is something im curious about, the last 2 numbers in the Core ID, if its a 14F you have a small chance to hit a nice Core OC, if its a 15F you have a core that may overclock superbly, if its a 13F or anything less its an old R520 core. So please, check, if you dont mind. Im rather curious as to what cores they used.

i'd ask you to suggest simply trying to OC, but no utilities yet, so need the core ID to guess for now :)

R1ckCa1n said:
Yeah, 449.00 is steep but at least I paid MRSP for a card less than a week old which is less than can be said for the 599.00 I paid for my 7800GTX two days after it's launch.

yup, i was one of those that paid MSRP 4 days after launch..

Frys availability was linked yesterday and is currently linked online. We will editorialize on it Monday. Traffic is slow on the weekends, so there is not sense posting till Monday especially since we will have more background then. :)

Shifra said:
All the XL's are using 1.4ns ram rated for 1600MHz, only thing is does it allow enough voltage for the speed.

Actually if you really dont mind taking off that heatsink there is something im curious about, the last 2 numbers in the Core ID, if its a 14F you have a small chance to hit a nice Core OC, if its a 15F you have a core that may overclock superbly, if its a 13F or anything less its an old R520 core. So please, check, if you dont mind. Im rather curious as to what cores they used.

i'd ask you to suggest simply trying to OC, but no utilities yet, so need the core ID to guess for now :)
OK...

Core

R520
215RFLBKA14FG
N21311.00
0536AAY

Memory

Samsung
K4J553230G - BC14

Will try overclocking this evening after I get my Shuttle ready!

x1800_shuttle.JPG

R1ckCa1n said:
OK...

Core

R520
215RFLBKA14FG
N21311.00
0536AAY

Memory

Samsung
K4J553230G - BC14

x1800_shuttle.JPG

Oh, SO nice. The RAM is indeed 1.4ns rated to 700/1400 speed. This will be *very* interesting.

I prefer my GTX for $475 out the door shipped to my house, but there's definately that sex appeal of being the first guy to have one in your hands to show it off. :D Enjoy it bro and let us now how she overclocks! :cool:

tsuehpsyde said:
I prefer my GTX for $475 out the door shipped to my house, but there's definately that sex appeal of being the first guy to have one in your hands to show it off. :D Enjoy it bro and let us now how she overclocks! :cool:
Since now I have both, time will tell what gives me the best IQ and performance!

R1ckCa1n said:

From an outside perspective, Frys has these right next to the PNY 7800GTX's with a price of 599.00 on them. The sad part was all the 7800GTX's and GT's had return stickers on them. As a regular Fry's shopper, never buy a returned product is a must. Will be interesting how long they stay on the shelf.

umm...what do you mean? MSRP for the GTX is 599.00...how is that "less"?

and yeah...for crying out loud...overclock it already...

R1ckCa1n said:
OK...

Core

R520
215RFLBKA14FG
N21311.00
0536AAY

Memory

Samsung
K4J553230G - BC14

x1800_shuttle.JPG

Good luck with it. Some of the X1800XTs shipped for preview used the same revision core so i hope you get lucky. I pretty much had zero hope for them to be using 15 revision cores yet on those cards, but its nice that they may actually have some headroom after all.

tornadotsunamilife said:
I can see over heating being an issue if you overclock it and allow it to remain in the shuttle ;)

Yeah, stick that thing in your liquid cooled rig and see what's up...

Don't want to be held back by the shitty cooler either...

R1ckCa1n said:
I will see how well this runs in my Shuttle before ripping my AquaComputer based watercooling setup apart to remove the 7800GTX.

Let me get it straight...you plan on ripping out a GTX to put that X1800XL in?

I don't get it.

tornadotsunamilife said:
I can see over heating being an issue if you overclock it and allow it to remain in the shuttle ;)
Hell yeah heat is an issue. Try 83c in 3d with the case closed......

CCC will only allow 575 core and 650 mem overclocks.

First run on 3dmark05 netted a 7287 running everything stock. Not too bad for a start. I will try some overclocked runs after the Angels game.

My first impressions are the HDTV output is GREAT, zero fan noise while in 2d and a pretty loud fan in 3d. These cards need a waterblock for sure. The hole pattern looks alot like the NV layout so I will try my Aqua Computer 7800 block on it too.

Let the fun begin.

BBA said:
Let me get it straight...you plan on ripping out a GTX to put that X1800XL in?

I don't get it.
Some of us like performance and IQ and buy things BECAUSE THEY CAN. My experience with owning a 6800Ultra, 7800 GTX and a 9700,9800,X800 is ATI's IQ is smoother and cleaner. JMHO so lets keep that debate out of this thread.

If the AVIVO is all that, I will use this in my HTPC and get the XT when available.

R1ckCa1n said:
OK...

Core

R520
215RFLBKA14FG
N21311.00
0536AAY

Memory

Samsung
K4J553230G - BC14

x1800_shuttle.JPG

What kind of dog did you adopt for 600$? :p (bottom right of picture)

R1ckCa1n said:

First run on 3dmark05 netted a 7287 running everything stock. Not too bad for a start. I will try some overclocked runs after the Angels game.

My first impressions are the HDTV output is GREAT, zero fan noise while in 2d and a pretty loud fan in 3d. These cards need a waterblock for sure. The hole pattern looks alot like the NV layout so I will try my Aqua Computer 7800 block on it too.

Let the fun begin.
If I recall correctly Sampsa(Xtremesystems) said it had the same layout as the 6/7 Series, so you probably can fit a waterblock on the core.

^eMpTy^ said:
umm...what do you mean? MSRP for the GTX is 599.00...how is that "less"?
I stand corrected. My first 2 hrs say this is a nice card though.

^eMpTy^ said:
and yeah...for crying out loud...overclock it already...
That is much more work..... It is a pain in the ass to rip apart a dual loop rig and get it back running in a timely fashion. But it will be done!

R1ckCa1n said:
I stand corrected. My first 2 hrs say this is a nice card though.

That is much more work..... It is a pain in the ass to rip apart a dual loop rig and get it back running in a timely fashion. But it will be done!

how fast can you get it running on air? and if you could detail your experience with hd out I'd appreciate it...

R1ckCa1n said:

Let the fun begin.

thats not bad at all for that dinky stock cooler and considering the computer its in. The core OC is quite decent to begin with. Kinda sad about the memory, problably heat though im sure.

R1ckCa1n said:
What do you mean by 'allow'? Is there some limitation in the CCC overclocking stopping you from going beyond a certain point? Or, is the overclocking limit simply down to the hardware (as far as you can tell)?

What kind of PSU have you got in that Shuttle? Has it got enough juice to cope with what you're running?

R1ckCa1n said:
Some of us like performance and IQ and buy things BECAUSE THEY CAN. My experience with owning a 6800Ultra, 7800 GTX and a 9700,9800,X800 is ATI's IQ is smoother and cleaner. JMHO so lets keep that debate out of this thread.

If the AVIVO is all that, I will use this in my HTPC and get the XT when available.

I think it was Anandtech that said that the AVIVO wasn't as good as purevideo for playback. I'd like to see how it compares overall to the 7800GT. My guess is from what I've read, that they will be comparable to nVidia's card.

coz said:
What do you mean by 'allow'? Is there some limitation in the CCC overclocking stopping you from going beyond a certain point? Or, is the overclocking limit simply down to the hardware (as far as you can tell)?

What kind of PSU have you got in that Shuttle? Has it got enough juice to cope with what you're running?
Well,,,,,, CCC has a limit on both the core and memory (575core and 550 mem). I have hit both with stock cooling. The Artic Cermaique needs to cure as the temps are now in the 70's. With a waterblock and some software that will allow me to push it further, things look good. The power supply is a 240watt model and doesn't seem to be a problem yet. I think this card needs to go into my watercooled rig for further testing ;)

3dmark05 at 575 core/550mem - 7929

Ahh I am getting my Brother an 7800GT and for me an X1800XL. I mess with settings more so I know he wont care and it saves me money. If I wait I could get an XT in December or November....
Hmm The choices. Nice Purchase by the way, the X1800s were no paper launch it seemed. At least not a horrible paper launch.

{NG}Fidel said:
the X1800s were no paper launch it seemed. At least not a horrible paper launch.
Remember, NV has never launched more than one card either so I would say ATi just impressed everyone. The only card ATi said would be available IS available. Now if they follow through with the other models, ATi should be in good shape.

Endurancevm said:
Wow, a slightly OCed X1800XL is up to 7800GTX spec 3dm05 wise.

What are you talking about?

The 7800GT and GTX both get higher scores.

Back