G31M + e5200 newbie OC help

progex

n00b
I have a G31m-ES2L and e5200... I went into the BIOS and changed the voltage to 1.262 and the multiplier to [email protected].

After I save and exit the BIOS, the system attempts to start up, then it shuts off to reboot with the default factory voltage and clock speeds @ 2.5Ghz.

This is my first time OCing, so I must not be doing something right. Any help (BIOS screenshots or a list of settings would be sweet)?

Thanks.

Up your vcore and see if it is more stable. 1.262 might be too low.

Not too high though. You don't wanna fry your chip.

Also, what is your ram set to. (Freqency and Timings)

Make sure you are adjusting the memory settings as well. Default FSB is 200 for this chip and your RAM will be running at 400mhz (ddr2-800), aka a 2:1 ratio.

Your default front side bus to ram speed ratios are:

Ratio.......RAM......DDR2
1:1..........200........400 (ddr2 go this slow? so might not have this?)
1.33:1......266........533
2:1 ..........400........800

When you up the FSB to 280, you are stuck with the same ratios:
1:1..........280........560
1.33:1......372........744
2:1 ..........560........1120

If you are using DDR2-800 RAM, you need to drop your ratios down near 1:1 or 1.33:1 so you don't exceed your RAM speed by too much. It's unlikely that your RAM will do DDR2-934 speeds without a lot of voltage added to the RAM, and it's unlikely you'll do DDR2-1120 with any RAM (short of super expensive, made for uber-overclocking RAM)

I don't have my G31 board running right now to check if there are other RAM speed ratios available - as I recall, they are a little limited. It is a very good overclocking mATX board for the price, though. When I had my e7200, I ran it at 3.8ghz all day in that board. Overclocks a Q6600 to 3.3ghz without too much work as well.

up the voltage to 1.3v and see what happens.. also id change your multiplier on your memory just to make sure thats not the cause.. its probably overclocking your memory to much.. but 1.26v is probably to low for 3.5ghz..

if 1.3v isnt enough try going a little higher.. 1.4v being the max.. but id put a good bet that the memory is also holding it back..

btw.. im copying your post to text Mackowitz so the next time i actually look like i know what im talking about.. best explanation ive seen for ram timing on intel based systems..

i upped the voltage, but still doesn't seem like that works for me.

these are my settings right now:

vex6di.jpg

do exactly what Mackowitz said because at 276FSB on stock dram multiplier you are WAY over stock speeds..

i upped the voltage, but still doesn't seem like that works for me.

these are my settings right now:

vex6di.jpg

Enable Cpu Host Control and put in 276.

The rebooting is the board telling you your overclock is not stable to boot into, Also make sure your SPD Keeps your ram at its rated speed.

I enabled CPU Host Control, set my System Memory Multiplier to +2.66, Set CPU Host Frequency to 276 (tried a lower FSB like 210, too). CPU voltage set to 1.325v.

Still no go. :(

When you are OC'ing G31 boards, rising the FSB changes the PCIe frequency, so they are linked in some way !!! So if you adjust the PCIe frequency to a higher value (105-110 MHz), you can achieve higher FSB, like it's described here and here ;)
Disable all unused ports (onboard serial and parallel), disable Legacy USB storage detect, set PCI-E frequency to 105 (or 108) and then try to use a higher FSB (of course with a higher CPU voltage and with a correct memory multiplier).

I have this cpu/mobo combo. First of all, the northbridge gets HOT, its passive cooling and even with good airflow in my case it was getting hot enough I couldn't touch it. I have no idea what temp that is because apparently this mobo doesn't have a northbridge temp reading. I stuck on a Thermaltake CL-C0034 that I had laying around and that helped a ton. You need a decent power supply also. This doesnt' need a ton of watts but you will need some stable power for it.

You haven't listed your CPU cooler either. You need something better than stock. I'm using the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro and never see my cores hit over 60 Celsius no matter how much I have it overclocked. For overclocking you need good cooling. You might be able to get by with stock northbridge if you have really REALLY good airflow in your case.

Start out much lower... set CPU Host Clock Control to [enabled].
CPU Host Frequency(MhZ) to about.... 220 (once you get this stable raise it about 5 each time and recheck... overclocking takes time)
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ... you need to change this to make sure your memory doesn't hit more than 800, so 3.33 or 2.66, whatever it takes. You can always raise it later but first you need to make sure your CPU is stable.
CPU Voltage Control.....get that down to start with. 1.250 and bump it up a couple notched at a time.

ALSO.... read the STICKY in this forum .... HOWTO: Overclock C2D Quads and C2D Duals - A Guide v1.0 But this is a good start.

I almost hestitate to tell you this.... but if you hit ctrl+F1 in the bios you have more advance options for overclocking on this board. You wont need them yet, but once you get a little more knowledge you might feel safe tweaking some settings to get higher overclocks.

Remember, overclocking is dangerous to your hardware and never overclock something you can afford to lose.

I have the Arctic Cooler 7 heatsink/fan, but I tried all the settings you mentioned.

I Enabled CPU Host control, set the CPU Host to 220, Memory multi to 2.66 and CPU voltage to 1.250.

Just as side note, I'm using DDR2 800 G.Skill RAM.

Doesn't work.

Any ideas on what to do next?

Maybe your ram is not stable since your Ram is set to 585.2 right now. 220 x 2.66 = 585.2mhz and your ram is made for 400mhz.

On Gigabyte boards the memory multi × FSB gives the DDR speed, so the RAM is underclocked.
I said earlier that the PCIe frequency it's tied to the FSB on G31 boards, so progex - please try the following: set the CPU Host to 250, Memory multi to 2.66, PCIe to 105 and CPU voltage to 1.35V (Gigabyte boards have an awful vdroop... bleh ). Please report back :)

On Gigabyte boards the memory multi × FSB gives the DDR speed, so the RAM is underclocked.
I said earlier that the PCIe frequency it's tied to the FSB on G31 boards, so progex - please try the following: set the CPU Host to 250, Memory multi to 2.66, PCIe to 105 and CPU voltage to 1.35V (Gigabyte boards have an awful vdroop... bleh ). Please report back :)

Hey, thanks for the help.

I tried the settings you recommended. The system rebooted with the factory settings again.

Same thing is happening to me. I'd like to think that I know how to OC, but this has me stumped.

This is a tough one... but if you have anyway of getting another PSU to try, do it. If you can't even get 220 FSB to work, .... well, I dont know what to tell you on that.

Do one thing though... try the 220 FSB again and set that PCI Express Frequency to 100Mhz (not auto).

I've tried the 220 FSB and lower FSB frequencies as well as the PCI setting to 100Mhz... Still doesn't work.

The Corsair 400W PSU is supposed to more than enough to power a E5200. No idea why it's not working.

Try changing just a couple of things:

CPU host control - enabled
CPU host frequency - 200
PCI Express frequency - 100
System Memory Multiplier - 4
CPU Voltage control - 1.225

Save this and see what happens. If it resets back to original settings then it's a bios feature, had a similar one on my Gigabyte EP31 DS3L. On that one I had to set the sata controller to enhanced mode before it would let me do any overclocking, guess you might have similar fun...

What other options are available under the memory? I still think 2.66 is a little high, but I could be mistaken. I know only certain bioses had the 1:1 memory ratio which is helpful.

My daughter's comp has the same board and chip. I played with every setting on it. Memory is corsair DDR2-800, 4GB's worth. The best stable overclock is 240x12.5=3.0Ghz. Memory is at 3.33. Will run at 4.0, just not as stable. PCI set to 100. [email protected]. I do not have the 2.66 option for the memory multiplier, mine is 2.5, then 3.33, 4.0.

Just seems like this board is a real miss with overclocking, with a few exceptions. :(

there is no reason you shouldnt be able to hit at least 3.5hz with the gear you have.

i have one of the cheapest most basic matx g31 boards you can buy, the askrock g31-m, and it runs my high-vid e5200 at 3.66ghz prime stable 24hrs. 3.75 runs well too, just wont prime. basically i have some of the worst overclocking parts you can get- i had to use conductive paint on the cpu just to enable a higher cpu voltage. and im getting easy results. a im also using the arctic freezer 7

i dont remember what my memory speeds are at, i think it was a 266 divider but ill have to check .

Last edited:
I have the same board and got my Q9550 to 3.6ghz, and I haven't even tried to see what my max OC is since I only have a freezer pro.

One more quick thing to try, make sure you heatsink has all 4 pins pushed in. Otherwise tweak the voltage some more, it should be able to hit those speeds. Also would try it with ram set to auto just for shits and giggles. I think I remember my pc not posting when trying to set the ram too low, when I first tried to oc this, as crazy as that sounds.

Yesterdays achievement with the E5300

CPUValidated.jpg

Settings used.

13x multi
105 PCI Express
Standard performance
2.66 RAM:FSB ratio with Auto RAM timings (RAM is capping me, need to swap out for my old OCZ kit)
Voltages:
+3 on RAM (667 @ 842)
+1 FSB
No DeVoltage on FSB
0.67 GLTratio
1.41250v from the stock 1.21250

C1E is disabled in Adanced Chipset Settings (Ctrl + F1)

More here scroll to couple last posts.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1445325

Last edited:
progex- i know its a stretch, but some motherboards, even if they allow you to change the cpu voltage, dont actually change the voltage and you need to do a VID hack to get a real change.

Back