FarCry 2 crashes every time I pick up a medkit

Unknown-One

[H]F Junkie
Just like the title says, every time I pick up a medkit in FarCry2 the game causes my computer to throw a blue screen of death and reboot.

I've tried multiple video drivers, I've tried running the game in both DX9 and DX10 on Vista x64, I've tried dropping back to XP 32bit, I've tried setting all of my components back to stock speed. Doesn't matter, game still BSoD's when i pick up that first medkit.

Any ideas here?

You may need to wait for the first patch of the game. That sort of bug reminds me of my horrible, horrible experience with Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, which is to this day to most buggy game I ever played. It even CTD'ed or rebooted my machine, when loading the main menu, regardless of graphics card drivers, settings or OS. Only with the second patch, was the game more or less stable, but it still crashed a lot. Worst $50 I ever spent. I actually never finished the game and don't intend to actually...

Tried a few more drivers, tried turning multi-monitor on and off, tried running in windowed mode, tried running with sound disabled, tried running with every peripheral unplugged except a monitor, mouse, and keyboard. No dice.

I'm going to pull my hard drives, pop in a 160GB I have sitting here, do a clean install of Vista on that, and see if it still crashes.

Damn, that is weird. I was going to suggest re-installing the game, but I think it's safe to assume that would do no good seeing as how you've already tried the game in Vista and XP. I've been playing for awhile and have not come across that problem, and I've heard nothing else about it, so I don't think it's widespread.

Maybe your computer thinks you're ultra leet and you don't need health kits to win? :p

You need to pick up a medkit to actually start the damn game...so no :p

Ok, new install of Windows Vista Ultimate x64 fully patched, latest WHQL drivers for everything, FarCry2 freshly downloaded from Steam... Same exact issue...

I'm demanding a dollar back for every day the game doesn't run. This is ridiculous.

Update: I completely uninstalled my sound drivers for my SoundBlaster Audigy 2 and ran the game without sound. I'm now able to get past the medkit BSoD.

So, mystery number one solved, FarCry 2 is picky about audio drivers. Next item on the list is finding how to play the game with sound.

Update 2: I've now tried every driver for the Audigy 2 on Creative's website, running driver cleaner in between attempts. All of them caused a crash when opening any medkit.

Uninstall the drivers and play without sound, no problem.

I don't have any sound issues with the 50+ other games I've run on this system, so I'm going to have to call this a FarCry 2 issue. Looks like I'm waiting for a patch...

Nope its a Audigy 2 issue. those sound cards suck real bad and they has a company have a very BAD reputation

Creative makes pretty awful drivers... I have had nothing but bad luck with their products. If that company spent half as much on hardware / driver development as they did on marketing, they might actually have good products.

Unknown-One, do you not have onboard sound? I can't think of too many recent motherboards that don't have it. Nothing wrong with using that... (the BS about Creative drivers taking the sound load off your CPU is a minimal difference at best)

I have the exaxt same issue. I have a soundblaster audigy 2 value ;)

Never had any problems in other games...

Yes as Zinn says, use onbaord. I would rip out the Audigy 2. Radical but it will probably work for you. As long as you have onboard that is!

Yes as Zinn says, use onbaord. I would rip out the Audigy 2. Radical but it will probably work for you. As long as you have onboard that is!

lol NEVER. I rather set farcry on fire. I don't care ;) I love my audigy. Quite a nice soundcard

Update 2: I've now tried every driver for the Audigy 2 on Creative's website, running driver cleaner in between attempts. All of them caused a crash when opening any medkit.

Uninstall the drivers and play without sound, no problem.

I don't have any sound issues with the 50+ other games I've run on this system, so I'm going to have to call this a FarCry 2 issue. Looks like I'm waiting for a patch...

Creative sucks....

...but FC2 is buggy. My son's rig is stuck at the first save point, no matter what you bind it to, the "use" key will NOT activate the save thingy on the wall.

The mouse is all jacked up....

When I talk to the people in jacks bar, I have to talk to each of the two "buddies" 3x each before I can go on...even though they have already told me the same thing.

I simply cannot run the new 180 series driver, it gets the black window (with sound, so the game is running) and nothing I do fixes it, I have tried all the "fixes" I can find. Reverting to the previous 178 drivers works great, and I have proper widescreen modes....

The cpu hit when I switched to onboard in order to hear Mass Effect was unnoticeable. The change in sound quality was way noticeable. I'm considering pulling the card out all together and just getting used to crap sound for the time being until my next build.

Hey same problem here with a stupid ass Audigy 2 card, I had the problem in STALKER CS randomly too. Did you guys play STALKER CS with it ?

GOD DAMN CREATIVE. Anyone tried an Asus Xonar DX ?

For people getting the medkit crash while using an audigy 2 under windows xp: go to control panel, sounds and audio devices, audio tab, advanced button, performance tab, then set the hardware acceleration to one notch below the top. I've been having the same exact problem and this is the only way I've gotten FC2 to run, a temp fix until we get a patch. Let me know if it works for anyone else.

For people getting the medkit crash while using an audigy 2 under windows xp: go to control panel, sounds and audio devices, audio tab, advanced button, performance tab, then set the hardware acceleration to one notch below the top. I've been having the same exact problem and this is the only way I've gotten FC2 to run, a temp fix until we get a patch. Let me know if it works for anyone else.

I'll give this a shot, and I've started a support ticket on the issue so that UBI Soft knows they've got issues with the Audigy 2.

@ everyone saying rip out the audigy: My onboard audio sounds noticeably worse and I would end up losing all my EAX modes...so no thanks :p

@ everyone saying the Audigy 2 is a piece of crap: It's actually still one of the best sound cards you can buy, the SnR ratio is good compared to most onboard audio solutions, the drivers are (finally) mature, and the extras like the hardware loopback interface and the breakout-frontpanel are nice. Given the price, I would pick up an Audigy 2 over the Xfi Extreme Music Edition any day.

@ everyone saying Creative is crap: That I agree with, it took them until well after the release of these cards to get a decent driver out. The latest few sets have been perfect though, and they even removed the bloat! Remember what the audio control panel used to look like? the multi-window mess with integrated "mediasource"? This is what it looks like now:

56149707.png

Bloat free driver for the win :D

Update: Turning down acceleration by one notch DOES NOT fix the issue, system threw a BSoD and rebooted as soon as I opened a medkit, as usual.This is fully reproducible, the crash only happens when opening a medkit with my sound cards driver installed.

The only way i can progress through the game is to get to a medkit, save, run drivercleaner to remove my sound driver completely, load FarCry, open the medkit, save, reinstall my sound driver, THEN play. Wash-rinse-repeat the next time you see a medkit.

That's a shitty problem! Glad I picked up an X-Fi last year to replace my Audigy 2. If you're willing to give Creative another try, I recommend getting the X-Fi gamer. It really did make a difference for me. For music quality, anyway.

That's a shitty problem! Glad I picked up an X-Fi last year to replace my Audigy 2. If you're willing to give Creative another try, I recommend getting the X-Fi gamer. It really did make a difference for me. For music quality, anyway.
Only if UBI Soft gives me some money back to buy a new sound card (of equivalent or greater feature set) to work around the problem :p

This is an older, and very popular, sound card with mature drivers that seem to be have no compatibility issues with anything else I throw at them, so as far as I'm concerned this is a Far Cry 2 issue and needs to be fixed on their end.

Update: I can play properly with audio acceleration turned all the way down to "none", meaning it's using software emulation. This works, but the audio glitches pretty badly every once in a while producing horrible buzzing sounds which can only be cleared by saving/loading.

Update: I can play properly with audio acceleration turned all the way down to "none", meaning it's using software emulation. This works, but the audio glitches pretty badly every once in a while producing horrible buzzing sounds which can only be cleared by saving/loading.

Ah, the good old Creative Buzzing. I had that on my Audigy 2 ZS. The only way to fix it was to exit out of the entire game for me tho...

I would ditch that card if I were you. It's not even a third as nice as Creative's marketing would have you believe.

Lots of Creative hate going on here... I'm still sure this is a problem with FarCry and not my Audigy 2, no other game/application has issues.

I note that Audigy 2 series cards aren't the only things causing this problem, some USB headsets (which use USB sound cards) have also been linked to an identical crash resulting in a BSoD. The buzzing I mentioned wouldn't have been caused by my Audigy 2 either; I had hardware acceleration turned off completely, meaning all audio functions were being emulated. It appears that FarCry isn't playing nice with Microsofts software audio implementation either.

All signs point to crappy coding on the part of UBI Soft in regards to how sound is handled in this game.

I've gotten 2 BSOD so far. All at random times. I then updated to the new beta drivers (180.43), and even though performance seems to be a bit slower (I could max it out at my native res before, now I have to go one resolution lower), I haven't experienced a crash yet.

ps: I don't have a Creative audio card, and my system is rock solid. This would be the only game that has caused a BSOD in years. I forgot what they had looked like :p

I've been running those same drivers and still had BSoD's in FarCry2 while audio acceleration was enabled...so no dice.

im having pretty regular 20-30 mins crashes with my rig, im using an Asus Xonar D2X, wondering if that could be the problem? Ubi rekon this card is compatible...

Doesn't sound like the same problem. I can play the rest of the game fine for hours, it's only as soon as I open a wall-mounted medkit that the game will instantly BSoD.

Only solution I've found so far is turning audio acceleration off completely, which leads to audio glitches. I'm going to try playing with one-step-above-off to see if that fixes things completely.

I had the same problem - I ahve an audigy 4 and i uploaded the latest drivers and the next two medkits i went to - it worked !
Then I trird the medkit at the first weapons shoop and tehre was teh old blue screen again, so it's intermittent
Back to the Ubisoft questions again - I guess it's patch time

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. I have the BSoD issue as well. I'm running Audigy 4 on Win XP SP3, with 8800GTX and vid driver 180. Thanks for the thread. I thought my vid card was borked and that I would have to buy another vid card. This will make my wife happy and by the transitive property of marriage, me happy too!!!! :p

I have an Audigy 4 under Windows XP, and had three BSOD's so far. The last one on opening a medkit, the others at random. I debugged the minidumps Windows made, and it turned out the exact file it started crashing on was hap17v2k.sys.

I was running the drivers Windows gave me through Windowsupdate, I tried the beta drivers from the 3rd of september. On booting those already gave me BSOD for no reason at all, so I uninstalled those straight away - guess they were mislabled alpha's :p Now I'm running the latest 'stable' drivers (july 17th), but I had another BSOD today. I've played this game for about four hours, and had three blue screens so far.

I'm not sure whether it is a bug from Ubisoft's side, Trackmania Nations Forever also gives BSOD on Audigy cards, different errors though. Tomorrow I will try to run Far Cry 2 with sound on my SoundBlaster 128 PCI (my mic card), or the onboard audio, let's see how that goes while the Creative is still installed...

Well i ditched my trusty audigy 2 for a xonar dx at $50 slightly used since its now 2 games Im currently playing that would go nuts randomly and now I can game for hours.

Wouldn'tgo so fast to recommend one though, unless you're willing to put up with the immature shit drivers ASUS is putting everyone through.

I get the reproducible BSOD with medkits too. Except its not every medkit, I've only found like 3 so far that do it, if you skip them the game continues fine. Its like a booby trap.

just signed up for an accoutn to say thank you for spending the time researching this issue! (At first I suspected it was Windows Desktop Search v4, which i had just installed, that was responsible).

I've got teh exact same problem, picking up wall health kits crash my system, and I've got an Audigy 2 Value as well. Now I just avoid the wall kits and pick up the littel square packs laying about, or take a nap at a safehouse. :)

The health kit one inside the weapons dealer at Mike's Bar definitely crashes me; so do the ones in the APR and UFLL HQs in Pala.

Anyone tried an Asus Xonar DX ?

Yep, and it was a mean card while I had it. I had to downgrade my speaker setup though so I went with the Bose Companion 5. I had the logitech T7500's and they just took up to much room. Now the Bose dont even use your sound card, they just plug in straight to a USB port and they are the BEST sounding speakers I have ever used on my PC

And for eveyone else having problems with FC2, I feel your pain. This game has been a nightmare for me to actually get it to run. Im just going back to Mass Effect till a patch comes out for it.

I have had the same experience. I tried the lowering the hardware exceleration under my audio settings to no avail. I have found that when I rolled my drivers back to SBAX_WEBUP_LB_2_08_0004 for my creative audigy 2 value, that I have no problems when I go to use the medkits on the wall. I have sucessfully gained access to four medkits so far without any problems. Don't take this as an absolute fix, but it has worked for me.

I've been using my onboard HD Audio to play, and it's crap compared to my Audigy to say the least.

I'll give those drivers a shot, see how it goes. :D

I've been using my onboard HD Audio to play, and it's crap compared to my Audigy to say the least.

I'll give those drivers a shot, see how it goes. :D

OP, get an X-Fi.

And get a real X-Fi, not the emulated software crap (X-Fi XtremeAudio).

I'm running an X-Fi Platinum with the latest drivers, with the rig in my sig. I've played Far Cry 2 for over 5 days now, and have not experienced a SINGLE CRASH. I get 100% stability in all apps, and that includes making music with Cakewalk 7 Producer Edition.

I agree that Creative software/drivers are crap, but for the X-Fi, the latest driver set is actually problem free. Give it a shot; also, the sound quality upgrade over the Audigy/2/ZS series should be alone making it worth upgrading.

OP, get an X-Fi.

And get a real X-Fi, not the emulated software crap (X-Fi XtremeAudio).

I'm running an X-Fi Platinum with the latest drivers, with the rig in my sig. I've played Far Cry 2 for over 5 days now, and have not experienced a SINGLE CRASH. I get 100% stability in all apps, and that includes making music with Cakewalk 7 Producer Edition.

I agree that Creative software/drivers are crap, but for the X-Fi, the latest driver set is actually problem free. Give it a shot; also, the sound quality upgrade over the Audigy/2/ZS series should be alone making it worth upgrading.
That's not a solution, that's the goal Creative seems to have with their lack of support on Audigy cards.

Besides that, the audio quality of the Audigy cards themself are just fine, the X-Fi just has more hardware acceleration and effects.

Yeah, those drivers made little to no difference. I was able to use probably 3 medkits total and then I began to get BSoD's again. I really don't understand it, one of my friends has an audigy 2 zs and has a driver from 2006. He has absolutely no problems with the game. Unfortunately he does not know the name for the driver, and we were unable to find it on creatives site, so it looks like I'm out of luck until Ubisoft gets off there ass and releases a patch to fix this problem.

Back