For ATI Control Panel Users (for ppl who want latest Cats without .NET)

Borgschulze

2[H]4U
Hey, I just wanted to post this for all of those people who don't like the Catalyst Control Center, like me.

Download this. It's the Control Panel from 5.11 Catalyst. It should work with all the new drivers, although I'm not 100% sure...

Then download just the Display Driver for any upcoming releases of Catalyst. Makre sure the filename denotes it only has Display Driver, e.g. 5-13_xp-2k_dd_29124.exe

Drivers with Catalyst Control Center will have xp-2k_dd_ccc, Control Panel will be xp-2k_dd_cp, and just the driver will be xp-2k_dd.

There you have it, Catalyst 5.12+ with Control Panel instead of Catalyst Control Center.

I hope this helps anyone who doesn't like .NET Framework.

Bump, I was hoping this thread would get some attention, to help out us people who like free memory.

I've been using ATI Tray Tools as the "control panel," and just updating the display driver whenever a new one comes out.

It is good that ATI is looking ahead to Vista with the CCC/.net thing, but I will wait until I am running Vista to mess with it. Plus Tray Tools has all sorts of neat functions like game profiles and automatic overclocking.

I should probably try out the ATi Tray Tools thing, sounds good, but I like manually setting stuff.

Could someone tell why everyone hates CCC I have always used . The thing i don't like about it is it loads so slow.

$BangforThe$ said:
The thing i don't like about it is it loads so slow.
ATI is trying to fix something that isn't broken. I have no idea *WHO* asked them to add a bunch of unnecessary drivel to their drivers. Especially for high-end cards that they know people will be using for games, it's not logical to make big bloated drivers. More code is just more that can break.

^^ what he said.

Quite frankly, I hate it so much I'm considering switching to nVidia for my next build. More than willing to give ATI tray tools a shot, since the Omega drivers have always given me problems, but if that doesn't work....

They really are a great set of tools....been using for the last year, and except for a glitchy menu start up (flashes sometimes before you have to click and re-open). Overclocks rock solid and uses almost no CPU cycles to run in the background.

In regards to the Catalyst CC, if they keep up this pace, I'll SERIOUSLY consider switching to Nvidia as well. Vista ain't here yet, except for the Beta's so why make us XP users suffer with crappy bloat....if I want extra crap on my system that's suck the life out of it, I'll install a Creative sound card !!

:D

Phantom_24 said:
if I want extra crap on my system that's suck the life out of it, I'll install a Creative sound card !!

:D

What's exactly why I stick with onbaord sound actually, I thought I was the only one...

Did the trick, thank you. CCC could not display properly on my 2405 - you couldn't even see all the options, it was like the code wasn't intended to cope with high resolution.

orkan said:
Does the old control panel work with the new 6.1's?

Yeah, I am using the control panel from the 5.12 cats and it works just fine, but the one from 5.11 cats does not work at all. :p :D

jgdiaz said:
Yeah, I am using the control panel from the 5.12 cats and it works just fine, but the one from 5.11 cats does not work at all. :p :D

In case you really don't know: 5.12 was not offered with control panel, just CCC.
In case you really do know: Thanks for being useless... I appreciate it. :rolleyes:

Flaming/disrespect for other members is against the [thread=760666]Rules[/thread].
Flaming in a forum where the staff has made an announcement that flaming will not be tolerated is probably a bad idea.
Flaming in a sticky thread is probably a very bad idea.
Flaming in a sticky thread that a moderator has subscirbed to and posted in is probably an extraordinarily bad idea.
- DougLite

orkan said:
In case you really don't know: 5.12 was not offered with control panel, just CCC.
In case you really do know: Thanks for being useless... I appreciate it. :rolleyes:
You realize this is WHY I made the thread right?

Borgschulze: You know I found the 5.12 cats somewhere with the control panel instead of ccc and that worked fine with my 6.1 cats, for some odd reason the 5.11 control panel would crash and not load when I tried using it with the 6.1 cats. But I am just glad I have it working.

:p :D

Yeah, 5.12 were the last control panel drivers released, ATi took them down though. I had them for a bit, but then I just deleted them, now I've got 5.11 Control Panel, and 6.1 Display Drivers in my driver folder on the backup partition.

grifter said:
why dont people like .net framework?
They are misinformed. Unless an application is actively polling a resource or processing data it really doesn't do much of anything. It waits for an event to do something. .Net isn't the evil that some of you make it out to be. It's like having Sun Java on your computer. It isn't doing anything until an application needs to run in the environment.

The slow load time comes from the fact that the ATI CC is probably the only .Net item you have loading at start up so you have to wait a sec or so for the .Net environment to load up and then run the app. Once it's up apps load rather quickly. .Net apps run just as fast as native Windows apps in most cases once launched. If ATI coded the app poorly then thats a different story. As with all development environments and languages there are efficient ways and inefficient ways to accomplish things with .Net. I personally like the idea of the CC, I found the latest version to be very responsive and it hasn't crashed or done anything funky. I avoided earlier versions because it wasn't mature enough.

The ATI CC is a separate piece of software and is not IN the driver. It communicates WITH the driver. It just happens to be part of the installer for the driver.

The INSTALLER is large or in SuperSubZero's words "Bloated".

The DRIVER is not and may be a little leaner because most of the stuff that moved to CC isn't in the driver any longer.

My $.02.

The driver is the same, the program you use to manipulate it is what changes, and I don't like the Control Center, I don't like it's layout, the amount of memory it uses, I don't like .NET, so I stick with Control Panel, much more straight forward, and cleaner.

Borgschulze said:
The driver is the same, the program you use to manipulate it is what changes, and I don't like the Control Center, I don't like it's layout, the amount of memory it uses, I don't like .NET, so I stick with Control Panel, much more straight forward, and cleaner.
I'm not picking on you but I have to ask, what is it about .Net that you don't like?

tesfaye said:
I'm not picking on you but I have to ask, what is it about .Net that you don't like?
The fact that I need it for a set of video drivers.

Which leads to me not needing an extra program on my computer.

I dislike the Catalyst Control Center layout the most.

Borgschulze said:
The fact that I need it for a set of video drivers.

Which leads to me not needing an extra program on my computer.

I dislike the Catalyst Control Center layout the most.

{Swings watch in front of Borgschulze}
".Net is your friend.... .Net is good for you... You will love .Net...."

I get your point. I don't know what to make of this whole thing. I personally don't care as long as it doesn't crash my machine.

I'm off to purchase an ATI 1900XT.

name said:
I've been using ATI Tray Tools as the "control panel," and just updating the display driver whenever a new one comes out.

It is good that ATI is looking ahead to Vista with the CCC/.net thing, but I will wait until I am running Vista to mess with it. Plus Tray Tools has all sorts of neat functions like game profiles and automatic overclocking.

To clarify: Install the standalone driver from the CD that comes with the X1900xt, THEN install the ATT (in that order)?? I am receiving my 1900xt morrow and I am still unsure about installing .net or just doing the drivers and ATT.

Thanks!

Nevermind. I guess that was a pretty dumb question to ask about driver/ATT installation order. Thanks anyways.

The last control panal was in 5.13 (aka 6.1 beta). It works fine with 6.1+ so far. ATItool does the rest, so no need for CCC or .net if you dont want it.

I have .net for Nlite, not CCC. There are applications in .net that are actually worth it, but CCC isn't one of them... imho.

.NET is alright.. I just don't like CCC for it's extra features I don't need... I like my minimalistic views on life, and it will stay that way.

Finally gonna go ahead with this.

I've got .net for nLite also...but my poor system (in my sig) has a hard time with CCC, such a pain waiting for that fricken thing to load.

Will post if successful with Cat6.3.

I haven't been able to get any comtrol panel version to work with any driver that works with my X1900XTX card. Wish I could get the drivers to work like with my X800XT.

For now it's ATiTT

The drivers are the biggest screw up ATi could have made in my opinion. It blemishes the X1900 series.

Back