deciding on nikon D50 and Canon Rebel XT

ellover009

[H]ard|Gawd
I have done some research and have tried them both.

Canon rebel xt +'s
8MP ( I know it doesen't mean much resolution wise but 8 is bigger than 6 lol)
Can add external battery grip.
Has 7 focus points (nikon 5)
Compact
more ppl have canons so there's a better possibility that u can borrow one from a friend
more manual settings
Fast focus
Uses conpact flash 1 and 2 (up to 8gb can b found cheaper , nikon is SD limit 2gb)
camera does some post processing (ready for print fast)

Nikon +
Can woop the rebel in noise can crank it up to 1600 ISO and remain low noise (canon shows at 400-800)
Better build
Great color n picture quality
Felt right in hands
strong flash
fliendly menu
lens kit had really good lens
sharp pics.

Things I disliked
Canon
noise starts at 400-800 range
soft pictures
Cheap feel of build
no rubber in grip

Nikon
has separate files for white color ( a little propietary)
Bundled software mediocre (has a demo of software to manipulate raw pics+manual, full software would be nice like canon.)
can't add battery grip
SD memory cards are meant for unltrazooms and compact cameras not DSLR

If u have tried both please tell me what u think of both and how u liked them? I am having problems deciding on both, they are both wonderfull cameras. I am looking into it for hobby, create art and possibly would love it if the auto modes were good so my mom and my aunt could use it (they are not tech-friendly)

I have the D50 and, love it. I dont find the SD to be a problem as, I have a 1gig card. The software deal,I agree with you there. Thought there is a PS plug-in for it now if I remember right. I have always like the way Nikons feel in my hand but, that is a personal thing. And yeah the higher ISOs are nice. Im hoping tomorrow to have time to go out and, shoot some city lights and, check out the results.

U having problem with the white colors being enchrypted when it comes to altering the raw picture? Is the stock lens really good. And how does it handle with hands, some cameras at end of telephot start getting shaky. Is it really fast?
I wear glases the store unit i noticed had no big eye cushion like the rebel xt or the D70.

ellover009 said:
I have done some research and have tried them both.
Nikon +
Can woop the rebel in noise can crank it up to 1600 ISO and remain low noise (canon shows at 400-800)
I spent a long time researching the 350D, D50 and D70 but personally all the test photos that I found showed both the Nikon's to be noiser than the Canon - And you get ISO100 on the Canon :D

I think you're mistaken about the noise issues, and you shouldn't be turning up the sharpness in-camera anyway.

dpreview.com

most test pictures are running at different ISO setting
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/page23.asp They are a respectable camera review company.
D50 handle noise better but 350D extra resolution allows it to capture more vidual details.The 350D has more advanced features, allows u to grow better, but at the same time is hard to put up with all that PLASTIC. The D50 does not allow battery grip, the software sucks, and if u think about it both cameras cost the same cause when u have to go purchase nikon software or some sort of program to manipulate RAW files that are verry flexible ur looking at $100-250 or more.
Could I have some feed back from more ppl who own them or have experience with them. I feel that sometimes the store display is just as a tech demo but at the same time not best to use as test because they are usually been so used and abused, and they got finger prints on lens that they will not yield same results. Sometimes stores even put it a really good lens not the stock one. If I do go with the 350D buy the lens kit or I can spend on the body only + bout $150 on lens. The canon 20D is sweet looking but it cost a pretty penny. Bout $1280 with lens the cheapest. I was originally interested in a panasonic fz20 or a canon s2is but they lacked the advanced prosumer level so I thought to go to the next level DSLR

The kit lense is OK. It isnt enough as, usual as, if there is ever enough telephoto. No the lense isnt shaky at extension as, it short. It zooms in and, out nice and smooth. Also focuses fast once you hit the shutter half way.
I havent tried much manipulation of the whites in RAW. I need to do more RAW work. I know I downloaded the RAW add-on for my version of Picture Project but havent played with it much. I shoot mostly in jpeg, large file format. I do that because you cant work with RAW images in PS and, that is what I use mostly. That and, I need to up-grade to CS because, I only found a plug-in for CS.

i have both, the d50 is what i use more, im not too crazy about the rebel as it was a bit more expensive, and it does feel cheaper... even the lenses feel cheaper, and im all about quality, when i get a good camera i want it to last... and the memory shouldnt be an issue, the d50 on low settings (which still is amazing quality) can take about 600 pictures on a 512 sd card... and incase you didnt know it takes about half an hour constantly taking pics to take 600 pics...

the stock XT lens is mediocore at bets - it is okay for portraits but anything beyond that dont expect much from it.

i own a 20D myself now, i owned the rebel, 2 friends for the XT - it does feel light, and cheap with the plastic frame and crappy sound shutter noise - but i do like Canon'c better - i loved my rebel and my friend has taken some awsome shots with his - and the ISO issue - i am not sure, but i dont see alot of noice @ 400 or 800 and my friend takes most evening shots of things with high ISO levels, for some weird reason...

now also look int, which company has MORE lenes, that should also be a deciding factor...

MrGuvernment said:
now also look int, which company has MORE lenes, that should also be a deciding factor...

I hope your joking, because there are like 30 companies out side of the regular namebrand camera companies that make lenses, for instance nikon has Nikor, and tameron lenses... im sure there are many more... when your buying a camera... look at what the CAMERA has, and nothing else... you can get any kind of lense for any camera, there are converters to put canon lenses on nikons, and vise versa.

If you're investing into a mount system, I definitely think you'd want to look at the available lenses. I feel you buy into a specific lens system ito mainly use the lenses available from Nikon or Canon.

And you can't mount Canon lenses on Nikon bodies. You can only mount Nikon on Canon.

If I were to get the rebel xt without the lens kit could i find a nice lens from canon for about $150-200 by the cannon brand.
And I read in reviewa that theres moderated barrel distortion on the nikon kit lens, any good affortable lens fron nikor?
I'm liking the canon cause of the microdrive that u can find cheaper around, I have tried it at the store, the nikon feels better in the hand but the canon's not too bad either, I have long thin fingers not meaty ones so I can handle it finely, The canon does come with the software, nikons a demo ver, and canon has more flexible ISO settings, appetures ect. I don't wanna discriminate either one because of brand better than other ect. I wanna find some balance between something for someone entry level into dslr but who want his skills to grow over time and be able to master the camera, can't do that if u have limited options. Is it true that the nikon can't lock up mirrors like the cannon? I read this but I wanna confirm it.

if i were you i would get the stock nikor lense for the d50, and get the tameron telephoto lense (which ever one is in your price range), because tameron makes some pretty nice telephoto lenses... i have one for my d50 and i love it... youd be amazed at what you can see with it... also imo the eos rebel is a bit more toyish than the d50, the d50 is able to be a fun dslr entry level camera, and also a functional professional camera...

im at my moms house (my cameras are at my dads) all i have here is my olympus sp-500uz... i have some pics on my computer, but i forget what settings i had for the d50... wait a week and ill get some up... or go to dpreview...

I like the XT quality better, the D50's pict looks funny, and i did blow up both of em, the nikon blends int the noise with similar colors, canon shows it but retain visual quality. Is my perception of this good?

Neither of those pictures were taken with a Nikon D50. The second one was taken with the older Canon D60. It's not a surprise that the XT picture is better though, it has a better sensor.

Here's a pic from my D70 at I think ISO400. I'll need to get the original RAW to remember what the actual ISO is.

http://msgaddict.com/images/boynton.jpg

D70 and D50 sensors are probably close enough, so the images produced should be nearly the same between them.

Ya, I don't have access to any of the cheaper Nikons at the moment, just Canons.
The XT does a lot better at higher ISO than my older D60 and the 20D does an excellent job at ISO 3200.

If you get a good fast lens, then you won't really need to go that high with the ISO.
I have slow lenses right now so I am forced to use the higher ISO. Using a flash kills the mood when shooting bands and club pictures, which is what I have been doing lately for some friends of mine. We're getting a 50mm f/1.8 monday and hopefully soon we'll get an 85mm f/1.8..

big question is wich camera retains most details at higher ISO canon cause of sensor or nikon cause of good build?

Can't speak to the Nikon, but I love my 8 month old RebelXT.

Teamed with the Canon 85mm f1.8 prime lense, it can't be beat for indoor sports without spending hundreds, if not thousands, more.

85mm prime:

feature-night-12-05-1.jpg

IMG_8069-01a.jpg

IMG_7815-01a.jpg

IMG_8031-01a.jpg

50 mm prime:
c-portrait-small.jpg

sigma 24-135 F2.8-4.5:
http://bbs.baynefamily.info/viewtopic.php?t=263

Kit lens:
hdr-IMG_7089-02a.jpg

Santiago-mist-1.jpg

I *think* these were kit lens shots, if not, the sigma 24-135:
kingschapel.JPG

IMG_7048-01a.jpg

IMG_7062-02a.jpg

BB <--- still learning amatuer, but happy with his purchase so far.

I say the RebelXT. I love mine.....If you get the D50, I think you should get the D70. The D70 is more of a direct competitor to the Rebel XT....

I was doing it based on picture quality the D70 has more options but the D50 has better noise control, that's why they released the D70s

WS6 said:
That looks like a very fun road to drive on.

13% grade baby! More fun going up than coming down. Gotta go to Spain to drive it though.

road.jpg

Those curves are circled in red. I came down the ones in blue. The trees below are on the straight section of BI-2521between the blue circle and Orduña.

IMG_7048-01a.jpg

If you're ever in northern Spain, there are a LOT of windy mountain roads like this. Biker's heaven (i'm not a biker, but I wished I was more than a few times when I was there) - never mind little sports cars.

To bring this back on topic (sorta) - the pic was taken from a short hike off the road from the apex of the final turn of the yellow road as it is heads south out of the red circle.

BB

If only I were very very wealthy, I'd fly my car and I all over the world just to drive.
I'd probably be driving something other than a Firebird if I were that rich though. :D

Was a 7 month work assignment for me - lots of 65-75 hour weeks punctuated by Sundays and a few travel weekends. Long time to be away from the family, but on the whole it was worth it, since we were able to afford a trip for them all near the end of my stay.

http://bbs.baynefamily.info/viewforum.php?f=4 for more pics, if you're interested.

A co-worker just purchased the D50 since he had a few nikon lenses from his film days. It gets here by the end of the week. If you're still undecided by then, I'll see if I can't wangle an afternoon with it and report back for ya.

BB

looking foward to ur comparison. I can get decent deal with nikon but don't wanna pass up the canon, lol I can have a dent or a bigger dent lol.

I also have a Rebel XT and I absoloutely love it! If you do get the Canon though, make sure to get the 50mm F1.8, that lens can not be beat for the price (~$60-80), and it's quite good too!

did u get a chance to test the D50? can any owners of a d50 and rebel xt post a pict at max resolution?

I have a Rebel XT and its great. Althought I'm still learning to use it, its a great camera, with lots of features. The kit lens isn't as bad as some people describe it as, but it obviously isn't going to cover everything. I'm looking to purchase a 50mm F/1.8 next...

I just got a hold of it yesterday. Unfortunately, since I can't use it at work, I was not able to take any daylight pics.

I did, however take a few flash pics and some high-iso evening pics of some very boring items around my home in RAW mode. My biggest problem was making sure that the cameras settings for both were actually the same.

I haven't been able to process them at all yet. Processing was going to be "whatever came out of the camera and into Pixmantec, but my first try, when I opened images from both cameras at the same time, really screwed with Pixmantec's mind. The Rebel shots all came out with reasonable white balance and tint settings, while the Nikon's were all over the place - shots all blue or all magenta, etc. I think thats because I opened both types at once. I then thought I should reset the images to identical WB and tint as the process. But I'm not sure if that's a "proper" process. Hopefully I'll get some time to try the processing some more tonight.

I'm giving the camera back today so I won't have any more chances to play with it.

As far as initial impressions go....

The nikon is also a nice camera from my amatuerish perspective. It does some things a bit differently than the Canon, but not necessarily worse. It is a bit heavier with its kit lens than the Canon with the kit lens. Shutter sound is markedly different. I don't know why that surprises me or created such an impression, but it does. I found their controls a bit less intuitive. I was able to dink with my Rebel's "quick access" settings (iso, wb, af mode, etc) without accessing the manual. I had to access the manual to figure out the Nikon. But once the manual was referenced, it was just as easy to use.

A caveat to this was the thumb wheel. I much prefer the finger wheel of the rebel. I found when trying to change the shutter speed with my eye at the viewfinder my thumb kept banging my cheek. Of course, I am a left eye shooter, so if you're a right eye shooter, you won't have this issue. It was a problem changing aperature, shutter speed and focus point location for me.

The grip on the D50 is much better than the XT. I thought the XT was fine.... until I held the D50. MUCH more comfortable.

I'll have more to post later. Gotta go for right now.

BB

Yeah, but with the battery back the Rebel XT feels awesome..

So tempted, hooked on xt's options, and then the d50 has low noise, then again the xt's pictures can capture more detail, hardest desition ever, i tried em both n theyr nice, i liked the rebel because it acommodated better for my glases.

I'd definitely take a D50 over an XT. IMO it's a better camera, easier to use and has some better features. Plus it's cheaper which let's you have more money to spend on glass which is real important part, not the body.

The part that doesen't buy me over is that the nikon has encrypted white settings meaning u need special software *cough propietary* I'd be nice if they came an special edition of the rebel xt with better build for $50-100 more. The D50 won me with the noise, but is so difficult to choose, when u add the $100 to buy the nikon software (only comes with demo) and u consider canon comes with the software (saves $100) u break even. Anyways how was the shutter noise on the D50 noisier or less loudible than the xt?

Not sure I understand you about the encrypted white balance settings. RSE was able to fix it (within the program at least, I haven't exported them to JPEG) without issue once I realized why the images all looked funny.

Sorry I haven't been able to get back to the images yet. New job and a boy scout camping trip has taken precedence. I Should be able to get to the pics sometime this week.

The Nikon shutter just sounded more "solid" somehow. The Canon has a higher pitched noise, with a bit of a servo whine to it after the fact, sounding somewhat like a motor-drive on a film camera. The Nikon only had a solid shutter "thunk", with no accompanying whine. I don't know how important it is, if at all - it just struck me the first time I used it, because I was expecting them to sound somewhat the same.

BB

Back