Modifying an AC Cuplex XT to 3 ports?

Mysterae

Gawd
I was going to fit a Cooler Master AquaTrident cpu cooler in my project parallel HEX, but after waiting over a month on a supplier to get me one, I've ran out of patience. I was happy to wait while I built the rest of the case, but now I'm ready to water cool, I need the components now. Nowhere in the UK has the AquaTrident in stock, so plan B.

I prefer the idea of 6/8mm tubing, and also the 1 port in, 2 ports out design of cpu water blocks. My water cooling circuit is designed around this, and looking for suitable water blocks has turned up null.

So my idea is to obtain an AquaComputer Cuplex XT and modify it to a 3 port design, a la:

modified_cuplex_xt_01.jpg

All the plexi lid would need is a tapped 1/8" hole, but the base would need to be modified so the port that is the input on the original doesn't take some of the flow from the centre input. Instead it would take water away like the other outer port. Easy enough to do with the right tools (or know someone that has :p) :

modified_cuplex_xt_02.jpg

The top of the above would need a small wall inserted, but I don't have a pic of that to photochop ;) .

The copper base needs no modification at all:

cuplex_xt_base_01.jpg

Clearance for tubing wouldn't be an issue if the correct fittings were used.

So, do you think I'm mad, would it be worth it, and should I try to alter (in some peoples opinion) perfection :D ?

looks cool! i think you should try it. its goig to be hard as hell to get a proper seal on the return side though.

Unless, of course, it is a theme build based on parallel lines and this is how the CPU block needs to fit in for it to work/look like he wants, then it's totally necissary and the "gains" of a themed appearance are worth it ;) .

Glad you's like it!

I think I will do it, but what's the best mounting method for a X2 A64, the 2 mounts or 4? The motherboard is a DFI RDX200.

Finally got hold of a Cuplex XT:

cuplex_xt_mod_01.jpg

Taking it apart:

cuplex_xt_mod_02.jpg

The top split from the copper base.

cuplex_xt_mod_03.jpg

The plexi top removed. I'll mention here that the plexi top will have to have another 1/8" BSPP hole tapped in the cente, this will be the inlet.

cuplex_xt_mod_04.jpg

A bit of a burr, looks to be a bit of the chrome plating:

cuplex_xt_mod_05.jpg

The base of the top that needs some work to create the channel for the second outlet:

cuplex_xt_mod_06.jpg

Making tape fitted, and paths marked out in pencil. The circle around is where the o ring for the base would be. This circle must not be breached!

cuplex_xt_mod_07.jpg

Gives you a better idea of what's to happen:

cuplex_xt_mod_08.jpg

Marked in blue is the wall between the inlet and the second outlet that has to be created so the water just doesn't flow right out of the block without going where it should be.

cuplex_xt_mod_09.jpg

I'm open to suggestions as to how to create this wall. I'm thinking some epoxy metal stuff, and wondering if I should roughen up the plating in this area to give the epoxy a key to bind to. I wouldn't want it breaking off and blocking the jet holes.

I'm having the machining done next week, but due to other things having to be made, it won't be in my loop and tested for another week or so. :rolleyes:

I can't tell what the middle layer is made of, but I would suggest a nice solder joint there, and sealed up with some epoxy.

Or, a machined part that will fit perfectly and look like it was made that way.

Why didn't AC put the inlet port in the middle anways? Makes sense if they already have the jets there.
Anyways, GL w/ your project. Waiting for more pics. :D

vudoo said:
Why didn't AC put the inlet port in the middle anways? Makes sense if they already have the jets there.
Anyways, GL w/ your project. Waiting for more pics. :D

Their philosophy is the more 90 degree bends the better! :p

I wish I could help you on creating that wall, but I went into computer and not mechanical engineering :) Good luck though, if you get it to work it will be pretty sweet. The three barb design should give the XT a nice performance boost too.

According to the AC website, that piece is chromed brass, so should be easy to machine. I reckon I will remove some of the plating where I attach the separation wall. I was actually thinking of putting as much epoxy (easier and cheaper) in that area as possible, and then drilling the hole through it to the bottom. More surface area for the epoxy to attach too.

I agree, AC should make a 3 port cpu cooler in the fashion of the XT. They probably didn't in this case because they want you to see the jet holes. From my understanding, 3 port cpu blocks are shied away from because of the need for a Y adaptor to bring the two outlets back together again, which adds resistance. I won't need the Y adaptor as the two outlets will go straight to the reservoir.

Erasmus, as a beginner to water cooling (albeit an adventurous one), I'm not sure of the performance change 3 ports will bring. Do you think there will be a performance boost or are you just being nice to a small-bore person :p .

I'm resisting the urge to have a go at it myself with a dremel! I'm better off waiting until I can get someone with the right tools to do it.

Mysterae said:
I agree, AC should make a 3 port cpu cooler in the fashion of the XT. They probably didn't in this case because they want you to see the jet holes. From my understanding, 3 port cpu blocks are shied away from because of the need for a Y adaptor to bring the two outlets back together again, which adds resistance. I won't need the Y adaptor as the two

They can do it w/ 2 ports like the Storm or other blocks w/ jets.

i would wall off the area you want to fill with a pice of tape and just fill the whole thing with epoxy or magnum weld then drill it out like you said. that way you can just remove the excess rather than try to precision build a wall out of epoxy or somthing.

vudoo said:
Go to a machine shop and have them make you a new plate. :D

I think a new plate is the best suggestion. You could have them make it out of delrin or copper, or brass and then nickel plate it like the original. As for the performance increase, having 3 barbs will reduce the pressure drop caused by the block, which should increase flow and subsequently increase performance.

BioPort said:
something tells me you are going to ruin this block.
Pessimist! meh!

Ctrl_Alt_Delete, sounds like the best plan. I'll use some Araldite Rapid Steel to fill in that area, let it set and drill.

Making a new plate would definitely be the right thing to do, if I had unending funds. I don't, and I have to draw the line somewhere. Machining a new block would tip the cost of a 3 port cuplex XT to well over £150 or $260. Someone else can do that!

I'm just keeping you guys entertained until that review is released :)

Erasmus354 said:
I think a new plate is the best suggestion. You could have them make it out of delrin or copper, or brass and then nickel plate it like the original. As for the performance increase, having 3 barbs will reduce the pressure drop caused by the block, which should increase flow and subsequently increase performance.

I doubt you would be able to replicate the jet block without some various fancy inspection instruments. If you look at the top of the jet block under high magnification you will see what I mean. It is not simply the matter of drilling some holes. :)

Top Nurse said:
I doubt you would be able to replicate the jet block without some various fancy inspection instruments. If you look at the top of the jet block under high magnification you will see what I mean. It is not simply the matter of drilling some holes. :)

Are you talking about the slight chamfer at the top? or what seems to be simply machining marks? or perhaps there is something inside the jets?

Erasmus354 said:
Are you talking about the slight chamfer at the top? or what seems to be simply machining marks? or perhaps there is something inside the jets?

Yeah, swarf! I jest I jest!

Erasmus354 said:

Take a more macro look.

You mean like this Top Nurse?

cuplex_xt_mod_10.jpg

What effect does having the countersink offset from the jet holes have? Considering the water comes in from the right to the left (of the pic above) do offset sinks direct the flow better, create a spiral effect or something equally impressive.

This reminds me of an experiment:
Jack and Jill both have a 1.5ltr plastic bottle full of water. The competition is to see who can empty their bottle the fastest. No tools, no knives or anything can be used, it's all about technique. Jack tips his bottle over, and as the water flows out, the bottles contents has got to be replaced with air, so you get that glug glug effect. Whereas Jill tips her bottle over but rotates the bottle on a vertical axis to create a kind of vortex at the neck of the bottle. Centrifugal forces in action. Jills' bottle is emptied considerable faster than Jacks. True, go try it for yourself ;).

About the bottles, wouldn't squeezing be even faster? You're removing the water with nothing to replace it, no air going in, so it should just shoot out. Add to that the fact that you squeeze it out and it comes out faster.

try it.

Bbq said:
About the bottles, wouldn't squeezing be even faster? You're removing the water with nothing to replace it, no air going in, so it should just shoot out. Add to that the fact that you squeeze it out and it comes out faster.

try it.

If you can squeeze a glass bottle, you are a better person than me, Jack AND Jill! :p

Technically you are correct, but what if both Jack and Jill both squeezed their bottles? Jills is emptied even faster, yes.

Doh, I know I shouldn't have said plastic bottle in the experiment, but it still holds true.

Mysterae said:
What effect does having the countersink offset from the jet holes have? Considering the water comes in from the right to the left (of the pic above) do offset sinks direct the flow better, create a spiral effect or something equally impressive.

I can't imagine why this would be done. The idea of chamfering is reduce inlet resistance, but, ideally, you want to chamfer dead center with respect to the jet. Creating any kind of spiral (either by rifling or creating some sort of vortex-like effect) in the jet is practically useless - it creates no increase in velocity and doesn't focus water flow.

I can't gauge how large those jets are, but the tolerances aren't what I'd call spectacular. Certainly good enough (for all intents and purposes), however.

Looks like they machine, chrome, then machine again (and machine lap?). What an ordeal ;)

Mysterae said:
You mean like this Top Nurse?

cuplex_xt_mod_10.jpg

I see you have also discovered the Great AC Mystery. :D

thewhiteguy said:
A manufacturing error that isn't worth correcting is not a mystery :p

It might also be helpful to look on the other side of the jet block.

I can't see anything on the underside, I'll take a macro shot of it and check it again. TN, what are the offset countersinks for? I'd have thought they were to small to do anything, but what I know about fluid dynamics could be squeezed through one of those jets!

The chamfers alleviate an impressive amount of the pressure drop associated with small diameter jets. They're small, yes, but not small relative to the diameter of the jets.

I have no idea why they're offset, and I don't believe Nurse knows either. The math favors the chamfers being centrally located on the jet.

I have no idea as to why they are offset. My first thought was WTF, but then I started looking at the puzzle and saw it was done deliberately. Also keep in mind that this was done on a CNC mill so it wasn't a question of a programming error as they never changed the program (I had one of the first ones and others later were the same). However, if you think about the way they made them (the machining sequences) it seems pretty darn obvious that they intended to do it exactly the way it came out as it seems difficult to do. The one thing I never got around to was to insert gauge pins in the jets to see if they were drilled straight through or at an angle to each other.

Hmm.. Maybe they are drilled off center, so the water sorta 'swirls' around, doing the effect stated above with the bottles. The vortex lets the flow through much easier. Not to mention it's on the side closer to the inlet, which is what really confuses me.

Sorta like:

flow7ga.png

Bbq said:
Hmm.. Maybe they are drilled off center, so the water sorta 'swirls' around, doing the effect stated above with the bottles. The vortex lets the flow through much easier.

Can't imagine a way for this to occur. The water may swirl somewhat, which would be effective if we were dealing with something that would aid in heat dissipation, but this would really have no effect on water 'flowing easier'. Look at the jet inlet - there are restriction points that could be eliminated if the chamfer was centered about the jet.

Top Nurse said:
I see you have also discovered the Great AC Mystery. :D

Was that pun intended Top Nurse? The Great AC Mysterae. Slow, but I eventually got it :p

Bbq, that's a good image at explaining it. I don't know what the offset countersinks are for. I wonder what impact changing the flow from coming in at right angles to straight down will have. Hopefully not an adverse effect.

Stage one of the mod is done, I'll post some pics later.

As shown in the System Cooling AC review, their Cuplex XT jet holes are a little different from mine!

image07big.jpg

And mine before modding:

cuplex_xt_mod_10.jpg

Do I have a poorly machined block? Top Nurse and other XT owners, I thought you would have noticed this! Are these off centre chamfers going to affect my performance?

Academic really, as I can't return my block as I'm half way through modding it :p

Here's some in progress pictures:

This is it assembled with end springs on the fittings - these are anti-kink.
cuplex_xt_mod_11.jpg

cuplex_xt_mod_12.jpg

As you can see the left channel is still open to the centre channel. I had filled this in very nicely, but it cracked ever so slightly when drilled , so I removed it as I wasn't 100% happy. It's easy to do again, so that's a job for today.
cuplex_xt_mod_13.jpg

I still have to extend the channel to the other 'new' outlet. It's best to wait until this can be done on a milling machine as I fear my dremel will just make a pigs ear of it.
cuplex_xt_mod_14.jpg

This is a picture of it dry fitted to the motherboard with a few other Aqua Computer blocks. Looks pretty ;)
cuplex_xt_mod_15.jpg

:D Not quite whiteguy, if I had done this with a silver XT, THAT would have been the worlds most expensive RBX!

Very nice work, I dont think you are making the worlds most expensive RBX, I think you are making the worlds best performing AquaComputer CPU waterblock.

Back