Altec Lansing HMX7051, new king of the hill ?

MindBuster

2[H]4U
Announced some time ago, but just now started to show in webshops in Europe, dunno about USA.

the HMX7051 provides full-bodied sound for high-tech home theater setups, PC-based theater or gaming, gaming consoles, and music devices. The five wall-mountable satellite speakers and muscular 10" powered subwoofer deliver surround sound realism through six discrete audio channels that render every syllable of dialogue, jaw-breaking punch and screaming guitar riff in the sonic equivalent of living color.

The HMX7051 incorporates custom-built high-fidelity drivers, state-of-the-art equalization circuitry, and Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Pro Logic II Movie and Music, and Dolby DTS technologies. It is also THX®-certified, indicating that it meets the rigorous standards established at the behest of acclaimed filmmaker George Lucas to ensure cinema-quality sound. The 650 watts of total system power fills the room --- whatever the size --- while also leaving extra headroom that allows for maximum accuracy in signal reproduction.

Each desktop-sized satellite is equipped with two 3" midrange drivers and a 1" tweeter to present anything from the trill of a piccolo to the shriek of a crime victim in their full audio glory. The center channel carries movie dialogue; the side and rear satellites create a surround sound effect that puts the listener squarely in the middle of an on-screen party or firefight; and the deep bass of the hefty woofer brings roaring tigers and rumbling earthquakes directly into the room.

Other features include:

- Wide range of connectivity options, with a total of seven USB, optical, coaxial, analog (2/4/6) and auxiliary input jacks on the back of the subwoofer. These permit connectivity for DVD players, video gaming consoles, MP3 and CD players, TVs, VCRs, and laptop or desktop computers including those with six-channel sound cards. Headphones can be connected for private listening via a jack on the free-standing control unit that accompanies the system's wireless remote.

- Full-featured wireless remote, including the ability to control all five operating modes from the keypad. Modes include Stereo (for streaming sound through the right and left front speakers), Stereo x 2 (for streaming sound through the front and rear speakers), PL II Movie or PL II Music (for simulating surround sound for any two-channel source or any VHS, DVD or CD that contains Dolby Pro Logic or Pro Logic II encoding), and Discrete 5.1 (to allow each channel to be driven by a discrete signal when analog or USB inputs are used).

- Complete package, including the five speakers, subwoofer and remote control with two AAA batteries plus a free-standing control unit that receives and processes signal from the remote control; five dual RCA color-coded cables, one 3.5 mm stereo cable, one coaxial cable with RCA connectors, five 16AWG speaker wires, a buffing cloth, and a 16-page user's guide.

Weights in at 55kg :eek: (compared to logitech z5500's 33kg)

Danish webshops calls it "Miles ahead of z5500" (but also almost twice the price :p )

Some highres pics...
http://www.alteclansing.ch/no_cache/bilder/?dlpath=HMX7051

That is really really interesting.. looks like a kickass set of speakers!

Hard to tell size from those pictures, but from the looks of it all the weight is in the big subwoofer. haha, that thing looks big.

I wonder what the price will finalize to in the US.

The satellites are the same as the MX5021's. I always thought the only thing lacking with the MX5021's was a bigger sub and another 3 speakers. Looks like they thought so too. That sub must be huge, because my MX5021 speakers are pretty big.

Shadow27 said:
The satellites are the same as the MX5021's. I always thought the only thing lacking with the MX5021's was a bigger sub and another 3 speakers. Looks like they thought so too. That sub must be huge, because my MX5021 speakers are pretty big.
I love mine too but also desire a somewhat bigger sub. Not that big however.

towert7 said:
Hard to tell size from those pictures, but from the looks of it all the weight is in the big subwoofer. haha, that thing looks big.

I wonder what the price will finalize to in the US.

Yes the woofer seems big, those with z5500 know that the 10" woofer fills the whole kabinet with the ring that is attached on the outside is somehow cut off, that doesnt seem to be the case with the HMX7051's, and that is even taller also, so one huge woofer that comes with the HMX7051 as it is 10" also.

As for the US price, i would estimate around 400-450 dollars, the recommended retail price in Denmark is 4,999 DKK, but already seen at 3,800 DKK, then be aware that hardware is extremely expensive in Denmark due to high sales tax (25%), so doing a little calculation the set ends up at $450.

So prolly around $400 as US prices are much lower, this is estimated ofcourse.

Back