Projekt: [IT]XRDOTIMCR

Status
Not open for further replies.

xrdotimcr

Limp Gawd
Back again, this time for my first Mini-ITX computer. This is going to be my car's computer. It will have a 677mhtz Via Processor with onboard video/sound. 256megs of PC-100 ram, and I'm hoping to get a cheap laptop HDD anywhere from 60+ gigs. It will all be controlled from a remote. The case will be an old external HP CD Burner enclosure. Here's a link to the motherboard I just bought, I haven't received it yet but when I do pictures will be up right away.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NU-VIA-667MHz-C...oryZ4614QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And on to the pictures of the case.

DSC01466.jpg

This picture just shows the width of 17cm. The mother board is 17cm wide and 19cm long.
DSC01560.jpg

Another picture to show how close it is.
DSC01470.jpg

Here is the location of the LCD display that comes with the remote.
DSC01580.jpg

Showing how the I/O plate barely fits.
DSC01585.jpg

Location of the HDD. The LCD will just wrap around the HDD. That is a dead 2 gig laptop drive I had lying around.
DSC01582.jpg

And I'm going to pick up a PSOne LCD, VGA Mod it and make a stand for it. Not completely sure yet on how I'm gonna do that. If I can find a cheap 12volt powered LCD that's compatible with no modding, I'll probally get that instead. And here's a link to the LCD/Remote I'll be using.
http://xoxide.com/vlsystems-mplay202-black-bluevfd.html

The system will probally be running XP, or maybe some form of Linux, I have no idea at this stage. Haven't even built the thing yet. OS will come later. I will also have a small wireless keyboard in the car, just in case. The computer will be sitting on the dash, on a stand that will be custom made and added to the car. It will be easily removable so I can repair/upgrade as I need. The plan is for it to be painted black, however I don't have a red case yet. Hmm, this needs some thought. I'm going to leave the lines and cuts in the Case, as i think they'll add some kind of look to it. I'm also going to need to buy one of these.

http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl;jsessi...nvrkLOlQzNp65In0?sc=8&category=13&it=A&id=424

There is a 90 watt version, anyone think that would be enough? To power the motherboard, HDD, LCD/Remote, and maybe some kind of USB Thumbdrive?

Well that's my new project that's getting under way. This shouldn't take too long, I'll just need to get all the parts.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Definitely a good looking project, I'll be watching its progress.

One suggestion, however. I've often thought of doing the very same thing, but have yet to come across such a deal for a mini-ITX board (congrats on that). Why not pick up a 2-5GB MicroDrive or flash drive to install a barebones OS (default XP, or even better, Gentoo or Ubuntu Linux), and run an external USB drive for storage? That way, you're not really worrying going through the trouble of properly shutting down the system every time you leave the car or something.

Sanded and bondo'd today.

Here you go.

DSC01596.jpg

DSC01595.jpg

DSC01594.jpg

That's it for now, maybe some more in a little bit. Got my paint scheme figured out, but it's a surprise. I think most people will love it.

Heh, I have one of those mobos but in the 1GHz flavor and uses DDR.

Interesting, will be checking back.

That should look really slick once it's done. With the LCD being a perfect fit on the front (5.25" bay and all), and the same with the I/O shield on the back. Looks like fun!

ummm hes baned borg. he yelled at you in the Beast III thread :( this WAS looking to be good but he fooked it...

Update yo.

Bondo sanded down.
DSC01602.jpg

Just how it's all flush.
DSC01599.jpg

DSC01598.jpg

Thought I had 256mb, oh well 128 will work for now.
DSC01597.jpg

I've also decided on an Operationg System. I'm going to run GeeXBox. I already downloaded the ISO and tried it on my laptop, it's very simple, and loads fast. I'm just going to make a small 1 gig partition on whatever HDD I get for it to boot from. And just have other partion formated in FAT32, and have the files just in there. The bands will be put in alpabetical order and such. Seperate folders for DVD's, Short Videos, Music, yadda yadda.

And sorry about the post in the other thread B, I was just a little frustrated. Sorry that I took it out on you. And thanks for the comments.

Artluo100 said:
i have that same external cd rom drive. HP right?

it's old though..

Yup. Now I'm looking for some HP case mod competition. I saw a Gateway one once, but it was like 2 years ago. Hopefully I can find an HP/Compaq one and enter this and my HTPC in it.

Motherboard should be here in a couple of days. I have a dance to attend with my girlfriend Saturday, so I have to wait until that is over to spend any more money. Dates with cash limits blow. So, maybe I'll buy the paint next week, maybe. It's finals week, yay :eek:. Updates will be coming though, everyday, or every other day. Ok, I'll just tell you guys the colors. It's going to be painted candy apple red, 3 coats of that. Then 4 coats of clear, to give it some shine. Then where it's taped off, with the squiggly lines on it, I'm going to do a checkerboard stripe similar to this.

chckrbrd.gif
chckrbrd.gif
chckrbrd.gif

It should look pimping. That will be hand painted on there after 3 coats of red and one coat of clear, then I will paint that and do three more of clear. I'm also going to use little rubber feet such as these.

http://www.alltronics.com/images/25Z040.JPG

Of course they will be painted something, or I can find something like that in black then that will work. I'm going to put some LED's in some little holes i'm going to drill on the bottom towards the center of the case. They will be shining on the ground, hopefully giving a glow effect underneath. This will be wired to the powerLED connector, so they will become the power LED's. Let me know what you think.

Motherboard came in, cheers to UPS for shipping it so fast.

Here are the pictures.
DSC01603.jpg

DSC01604.jpg

DSC01605.jpg

Up and running.
DSC01606.jpg

Mounted it into the case.

DSC01610.jpg

I just drilled the stand offs into the bottom of the case. They stick out a little, but nothing that can't be fixed. I'm going to glue them to the inside, and bondo over the bottoms, and then sand it down even. For the metal one I'll just use a dremel with the little grinding attachment and throw some bondo over it and sand it down to match.
Here's a plastic one.
DSC01611.jpg

Bad picture but you get the idea.

Right now I'm thinking the only thing visible in the back will be the 15pin and the USB ports. And the keyboard. Everything else is not needed since it's going to just be running a media player (GeeXBoX). That's my update for today. Doubt any work tomorrow as I will be at my old Jr. High visiting some teachers and trying to see if I can coach Fastpitch again this year like I did last year as a student there. Audio ports too. Or maybe just the blue and green. Who knows. There are no plans really, it's all by eye.

xrdotimcr

You could try sending a PM to the new account he created...all the posts are getting deleted, but it looks like it's not banned.

He was silenced for a while for losing his temper in another worklog. Leave this thread alone till he get's his priv's back k folks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back