G.Skill HZ overclocking

enlightenedby42

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm really digging this RAM. Running 270 fsb at 1:1 without breaking a sweat, though I haven't had a chance to check out the true upper limits because my education is so rudely interrupting my overclocking attempts.

Rambling aside, my question regards the more obscure (like, besides the four on the sticker) ram settings in the BIOS.

The overclocking guide over at DFI street gives some general guidlines that derive these numbers using the main four. Would these guidlines ring fairly true with these sticks? Also, how much would tweaking the obscure settings likely improve a potential overclock or bandwidth?

Also, it seems as though these sticks could really care less about voltage. Will that likely continue to be the case as I ramp up the FSB? Where have you guys found the wall to be with these?

well you could try running A64 tweaker and just adjusting timmings and running tests to see what's beneficial and what's not. I'm most likely buying a set of these soon, so anything you figure out about them post up.

there's a whole bunch of guys who use the stuff and push it to the max over at XS

also, they typically seem to like 2.6-2.7v the most, and 3-4-4 timings for max mhz

enlightenedby42 said:
I'm really digging this RAM. Running 270 fsb at 1:1 without breaking a sweat, though I haven't had a chance to check out the true upper limits because my education is so rudely interrupting my overclocking attempts.

Rambling aside, my question regards the more obscure (like, besides the four on the sticker) ram settings in the BIOS.

The overclocking guide over at DFI street gives some general guidlines that derive these numbers using the main four. Would these guidlines ring fairly true with these sticks? Also, how much would tweaking the obscure settings likely improve a potential overclock or bandwidth?

Also, it seems as though these sticks could really care less about voltage. Will that likely continue to be the case as I ramp up the FSB? Where have you guys found the wall to be with these?

aounds good i might be buying some :D

Well, like I said I'm running it at 270 fsb 1:1 at stock volts, and I'm pretty sure I can squeeze a good bit more out of it. So I'd highly recommend them. Also they don't look too shabby for RAM modules.

The 170 will just BARELY do 2.8 at about 5.6 volts which is as high as I really wanna push it on air right now...So my next goal is to see if I can't squeeze 2.8 out of it at 1:1 for e-penis purposes. :) Will post progress.

enlightenedby42 said:
The 170 will just BARELY do 2.8 at about 5.6 volts which is as high as I really wanna push it on air right now...
i do hope that is a typo ;)

1.56 is cpu...

I'm doing 3 4 3

ABIT have been my preffered boards... but I'm giving DFI a shot... let's see what happens. I just hope the NB fan isn't as noisy as I believe.

My Gskill will run at 267 fsb 1:1 rock solid stable in everything. Running my opty 165 at 2.4 with no problem, might try out some dividers and see how high I can go. But i'm happy with getting a 4800 X2 for less than half the price :)

here's a pic of my settings for you to ponder and apply... i too am looking for ways to tweak mine for 275 to 285... If you get those speeds, plz post an A64Tweaker picture for me to study.

enjoy and GL!
bestbenches2700.jpg

for 10MHZ? Don't think it's worth using divider.

I'm fortunate I guess.... running at 3 4 3

Your desktop looks cool palehorse where u get that?

My desktop is still default started overclocking before I did anything else..lol.
Anyway, here's what I'm running atm. Will likely change as I get time to try and ratchet it up a bit more...
270timings.jpg

MC FLMJIG said:
for 10MHZ? Don't think it's worth using divider.

I'm fortunate I guess.... running at 3 4 3

Your desktop looks cool palehorse where u get that?
My desktop is using WindowsBlinds.. it's the StealthOS theme. Believe it or not, it's one of the first things I do when I build my systems...lol, i guess it just helps me get into it... a comfort thing perhaps?

Here are my latest and greatest benches. I'm still at [email protected], 1:1, 3-4-4-8 timings.

3dmark01 SE: 32,778
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8870735

3dmark03: 29,060
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=4563582

3dmark05: 13,439
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1724282

3dmark06:
7537 3DMarks
3408 SM 2.0
3188 SM 3.0
2027 CPU

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=24551

Aquamark3: 113,814 @ 113.81 fps

bestbenches2700c.jpg

I'm still tweaking everything, and I'm having a helluva time getting 2750 or 2800 to 32M stable or 3dmark05/06 stable... i think im going to start over with the cpu/ram and see where the bottleneck is. I'm still trying to figure out all of the random RAM timings, so if anyone has a link that might explain them better, please send it my way!

btw, thankyou for the compliments! I'm really just having a TON of fun with this new rig... my wife hates it because i'm apparently spending too much time tweaking it out! lol.. (I spent 4 nights in my workshop last week just modding the case! wife who?! DOH!)

im going to be picking up a 2 gig HZ kit also to go with my opty 165, i'll post some feedback on how it goes twords the end of next week when i get it.

what voltages are everyone running their sticks at? i just finally got mine in, and i'm getting a handful of errors at 265. should i drop the voltage, or bump it up? it's at 2.75v right now.

big daddy fatsacks said:
what voltages are everyone running their sticks at? i just finally got mine in, and i'm getting a handful of errors at 265. should i drop the voltage, or bump it up? it's at 2.75v right now.

2.8is what its tested at so i guess theres no harm in increasing the voltage...right?

Drop it. I have mine at 2.6 - 2.65.

Don't respond well to voltage. Keep in mind not all are guaranteed to go over 250.

I have an ok stick at 270 and some are doing 300!!! :eek:

hey, i have another question about these. they are supposed to be 3-4-4-8 right? when i set the DRAM config to manual in the BIOS those are the timings that show up. but in CPU-Z i just noticed that on the SPD Table page it says the timings are 3-5-5-10. are everyone else's like this?

That is weird go to Bios or I dont know if a64 tweaker saves it but they should be 3 4 4 at least.

I have mine at 3 4 3 @ a tad more than 2.6 and I'm doing this:

I had it at 3 4 3 @ 271 FSB but I wanted to see how high they would really go... my SIS score went about 1k higher!!! I was going to post on E's SIS benchmark but still wouldn't have made list :( so I didn't bother.

Mayhs said:
2.8is what its tested at so i guess theres no harm in increasing the voltage...right?
it should actually say 2.6-2.8v... that's kinda part of the rated spec. if you can't do stock speeds within that voltage range, you're allowed to RMA

on the SPD tab in CPU-Z, in the SPD Timings Table it says 3-5-5-10. i can't seem to get these things to run more than 260mhz with any voltage between 2.6 and 2.8v and the timings set to 3-4-4-8.

asus a8n-sli premium

with your OC guide i had the FSB up to like 330 with no problem. the CPU is topping out around 2300+ mhz. it's an X2 3800+

if that's the 1T/2T Memory Timing setting, then i'm already using that.

if i get the message "NOT EXACT IN ROUND" while running superpi is that a memory issue, or a CPU problem?

usually sPI stresses memory more than cpu, but that can mean either. how's memtest and prime95 with small-fft's do?

the following settings are in use:
FSB: 256mhz
CPU Multi: 9
CPU Spd: 2304
Mem Spd: 256mhz
Mem Timings: 3-4-4-8
HT Multi: 3

large FFTs failed after like 20 minutes on 1 core and 33 minutes on the other. superpi completed successfully.

now starting small FFTs and windows memtest.

okay, an error came up so i'm giving up on my 6mhz mem OC and trying this at stock speeds and voltages.

FSB: 250mhz
CPU Multi: 8
CPU Spd: 2000
Mem Spd: 250mhz
Mem Timings: auto
HT Multi: 3

so, the CPU is running at stock speed by way of a reduced multi. the mem is running at stock speed, but the FSB is OCed. running windows memtest . . . . .

okay! 3 errors on 3 passes of regular (aka bootable) memtest. this sucks beyond belief. i originally ordered this memory before the new year. first batch was probably capable of 350mhz, but i mistakenly diagnosed a memory problem which was actually the famous NeoHE problem (i read that thread about 4 hours too late :( )

second batch came and would not boot with both sticks. it would boot with only 1 but not the other. took the sticks to work and tested them in some shuttles running at only 166mhz, and the bad stick would only be recognized at half the size it was supposed to be.

new batch came in friday. and this one boots and almost works 100%. but at default speed and voltages i STILL get errors in memtest (both the windows and normal bootable versions).

so back this one goes. i am having the worst luck with this damn RAM.

big daddy fatsacks said:
so back this one goes. i am having the worst luck with this damn RAM.
so you got three sets that don't work and you're still blaming the sticks?

well i got one set that probably worked fine, but i was having problems because of my stupid antec neoHE power supply. i saw the thread here about that power supply's problems about 4 hours after sending them back.

then i got my new PSU and borrowed some PC3200 from work. system has been running fine with those.

then i got my new G.Skill sticks back. put both in and no boot. tried 1 stick and no boot. tried the second one and it booted. tried both of them in 2 boxes at work that are only capable of running at 333mhz FSB. so waaaaaaaaaaaaay underclocked 1 machine recognized them fine and booted into memtest though i did not get to run memtest. the other machine would boot, and would recognize the good stick fine. but the bad stick would only be recognized as like 498MB. these are both 1GB sticks.

bam, send those back. got these sticks in return and now you see the problems i'm having.

i appreciate that you would say "look for a problem somewhere else" but i really think i'm having bad luck with the RAM. the 2 main reasons for that are:
1) this system runs fine and just passed 2 hours of memtest at stock settings with this patriot PC3200 i borrowed from work (which means 200mhz FSB since these sticks are PC3200).
2) i had problems in a system other than this one.

i'm being punished by the memory gods for blaming that first set of memory on problems that were actually the fault of the power supply.

just make sure you try running thoese sticks in the orange slots if your useing a dfi mobo, and make sure to manually configure your timeings in the bios as it usually will be set more aggressive then the memory is rated for.

btw, this PDP PC3200 from work is running solid at 230mhz with 3-4-48 timings. passed 2 hours of memtest and is now going through some prime95.

i'll bet the pdp is 512mb though. 1gb sticks are a larger strain on the memory controller and mobo.. though if it doesn't work in two rigs, it's usually the ram. hmm

Back