Samsung 215TW

Matt94

n00b
Hi, First post on this forum but been browsing for a while :)

Just thought i'd mention the Samsung 215TW for those who haven't seen it. It’s shown on Samsungs website: http://www.samsung.com/Features/index.htm (go to the ICES 2006 feature).

It’s a 21" widescreen (1680 x 1050)
8ms response time
300cd/m2 brightness
1000:1 contrast
Includes Component inputs

It looks good, and presumably shares the same panel as one of the future Dells (2107FPW???).

Does any one know any more info about this monitor? A google search shows nothing.

Edit: Link to a 215TW product page

i dont understand why there are 16:10 monitors and 16:9 monitors. why can't they stick with 16:9? im looking for a good LCD for the xbox360, but 16:10 would leave some black space. i like the specs though

Damnnn, I might be selling my 2005fpw on ebay when the 215TW comes out. It looks great since it has everything I want in a monitor.

I'd like to know when this montor comes out. I think I'll buy it ASAP. I like the 2005fpw, but I like the 215TW even more. If it's HDCP, I'll buy it even quicker.

Bo_Bice said:
i dont understand why there are 16:10 monitors and 16:9 monitors.
16:10 is the WUXGA standard. 16:9 matches the 1.78 HDTV aspect ratio.

I hate the little ledge at the bottom, takes away from the 16:10 look. I waited forever for this hoping it would be just like the 244T's in looks but 1680x1050. Is that a speaker that can be detaced? Nice price at $549 though.

Specs look good, and I like the option of a 21" WS vs. the ubiquitous 20" panels out there. Price seems a bit high, but should come down with more product in the retail channel.

Any other thoughts on this monitor as a gaming/video editing display?

definitely buying this if i can run it at 75hz with dvi in the native res (which i'm assuming is possible considering how many people do it with other panels at this res)

Man, I saw this monitor at Bestbuy today and it looked so awesome. Beautiful screen, very sexy black monitor. I hate monitors with silver color cause it looks so cheap. I also saw a lg monitor with same screen size (i forgot the model number). It had a better contrast ratio, i think it was 1400:1 and cheaper too (selling at $500). I think this samsung monitor I saw was made in Mexico. I heard there has been a quality issues with Samsung monitors made in Mexico. If anyone got this Samsung or LG monitor, would you mind sharing your experience with them??

charliebrown78 said:
Man, I saw this monitor at Bestbuy today and it looked so awesome.
Which Best Buy? Are you sure it was this model? It's not listed on the Bestbuy.com website...

I live in austin, tx. I saw it both Fry's and Bestbuy this week. They were both selling it at $549.99. Outpost.com which is owned by Fry's currently has it.

Yeup, i work at Best Buy myself and I drooled when I saw this come in, and kicked myself for buying the Viewsonic VA1912wb two weeks earlier. Ah! Such a beautiful monitor.

sniggle said:
definitely buying this if i can run it at 75hz with dvi in the native res (which i'm assuming is possible considering how many people do it with other panels at this res)
I was reading the manual and it says maximum resolution at 60hz, so I dunno if it can, would 60hz and 75hz make a difference?

The Equalizer said:
I was reading the manual and it says maximum resolution at 60hz, so I dunno if it can, would 60hz and 75hz make a difference?

Well, I heard a lot of ppl rave about Dell 2005fpw and it has a same refresh rate 60Hz at same maximum resolution 1680 x 1050. So I guess 60Hz wouldn't be so bad.

This monitor has a S-PVA panel according to the Samsung german website. This monitor seems very very very similar to the Gateway FPD2185W. 21in, hdcp, component inputs, etc. Let us hope that it does not also suffer from the same weakness as the gateway display.

Ross

Which weakness is that?

I'm "evaluating" the Gateway right now, my only complaint is how it seems to crush dark details when looking head on. Seems that is intrinsic to the panel type though.

If you look at the FPD2185W thread on this forum, you will see some of the problems. I will list what i can remember off the top of my head.

1) Gradients are not smooth, but have a stair-stepped appearence
2) Color shifts and changes depending on where your head is. I have noticed this in person at best buy. This purple background on the monitor changed in hue as I moved my head around just a couple of inches in different directions.
3) Brightness is not uniform. There is an image of this floating around somewhere. Basically, if you were to a dark image in the top right corner of the screen, and the exact same picture in the bottom left corner of the screen, the images would not look the same. One image would be a lot brighter showing more detail and the other would be dark and detal is lost.

Ross

Ah, I have not noticed the gradient issue. Issues #2 & #3 are the ones I was referring to, and I'd say they are the same...a result of the PVA technology.

charliebrown78 said:
how do i post images?
shit you got that monitor? If so give us a full rundown on how it is for you, you can post images at photobucket.com you can setup an account quickly and easily there.

This monitor has the same backlight as the gateway. It's an extremely noticeable X-Pattern when looking at a blackscreen. I can see the X even on bright scenes when watching 2.35:1 material in a dim room (its raining and I have my blinds shut). I can't imagine how bad it would be in the dark at night, but I will be returning it before night so I won't have to find out.

Just tested some darker maps in UT2004, and I can see that the corners are lighter than the rest of the screen. So I am assuming that a game like doom 3 or fear would be annoying on this monitor.

LED backlit lcds can't come soon enough. I can live with subpar blacks, but give me a uniform light.

SonComet said:
This monitor has the same backlight as the gateway. It's an extremely noticeable X-Pattern when looking at a blackscreen. I can see the X even on bright scenes when watching 2.35:1 material in a dim room (its raining and I have my blinds shut). I can't imagine how bad it would be in the dark at night, but I will be returning it before night so I won't have to find out.

Just tested some darker maps in UT2004, and I can see that the corners are lighter than the rest of the screen. So I am assuming that a game like doom 3 or fear would be annoying on this monitor.

Maybe you can show us some pictures if it's possible. To be honest, I got my first LCD monitor yesterday so I didn't know anything about backlight problems before I read some postings in this forum. As far as I can tell, I see uniform black color through out the whole screen, when I turn on the screen saver. I'm really curious how your monitor differs from mine. Maybe you have a different testing method?? Well, I'm not trying to convice anybody that this monitor rocks or anything. I would be the first one to return this monitor when this monitor appears to have a backlight.

charliebrown78 said:
Maybe you can show us some pictures if it's possible. To be honest, I got my first LCD monitor yesterday so I didn't know anything about backlight problems before I read some postings in this forum. As far as I can tell, I see uniform black color through out the whole screen, when I turn on the screen saver. I'm really curious how your monitor differs from mine. Maybe you have a different testing method?? Well, I'm not trying to convice anybody that this monitor rocks or anything. I would be the first one to return this monitor when this monitor appears to have a backlight.
I returned the monitor this afternoon after buying it this morning. It had a stuck green pixel so it was going back anyways. I didn't get a chance to take a picture, but if you can find pictures of the backlights in the Gateway thread it looked just like that. It made me kind of mad because it looked fine when I first turned it on, and then got worse as the monitor warmed up.

SonComet said:
I returned the monitor this afternoon after buying it this morning. It had a stuck green pixel so it was going back anyways. I didn't get a chance to take a picture, but if you can find pictures of the backlights in the Gateway thread it looked just like that. It made me kind of mad because it looked fine when I first turned it on, and then got worse as the monitor warmed up.

Well, sorry to hear that. I guess you just had a bad luck. Mine doesn't even have a single dead pixel and or backlight... well almost. (check out my other posting herehttp://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1032587 ) It's been turned on for more than 24 hours and still looks fine to me.

charliebrown78 said:
Well, sorry to hear that. I guess you just had a bad luck. Mine doesn't even have a single dead pixel and or backlight... well almost. (check out my other posting herehttp://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1032587 ) It's been turned on for more than 24 hours and still looks fine to me.
I think I'm just more picky than you. I would return it with that backlight. But hey, I'm a very picky person. My current lcd, and a few that I've owned on and off (returned them all due to various problems ranging from pixel anamolies to buzzing issues) looking for a new one have had much more even backlights. So I guess I just can't force myself to settle. I do have high hopes for the NEC 20WMGX2 though. If I can get over the reflective screen maybe I will be happy with it. Maybe I will wait for the 2407wfp. I was fairly happy with my 2405fpw except for the 4 stuck blue pixels. Maybe the tenth monitor will be the charm :).

SonComet said:
I think I'm just more picky than you. I would return it with that backlight. But hey, I'm a very picky person. My current lcd, and a few that I've owned on and off (returned them all due to various problems ranging from pixel anamolies to buzzing issues) looking for a new one have had much more even backlights. So I guess I just can't force myself to settle. I do have high hopes for the NEC 20WMGX2 though. If I can get over the reflective screen maybe I will be happy with it. Maybe I will wait for the 2407wfp. I was fairly happy with my 2405fpw except for the 4 stuck blue pixels. Maybe the tenth monitor will be the charm :).

Yeah, I think you're being very picky, lol. I saw NEC 20WMGX2 in store when I bought my monitor yesterday and they looked really awesome. One of the best lcd screen I've seen, and certainly better than my 215tw. But I didn't like the coated screen, so I just went with samsung. Beside, it was way over my budget anyway. :p

OK, I just got back from BestBuy and they had the Samsung 215TW on display. Unfortunately the friendly BB employee would not change the resolution and the computer was hidden someplace.

The Samsung 215TW appears to be the same panel and features as the Gateway. It definitely has the problem with details in dark areas while looking directly at it. The stand does not seem as nice as the Gateway but the speakerbar does not stand out that much and might be useful if you wanted to retire this as a monitor as use it as a little TV. The DVI connector says (HDCP) right on it so it definitely has that but it's not mentioned on the box.

Samsung is $50 cheaper than Gateway and has a 3 year warranty instead of 1. I would get the Samsung over the Gateway because of the warranty alone but I'm still waiting for Dell.

Just got my 215tw today from BB. I had an old 21" CRT. Man is it nice to have the desk space back, much easier on the eyes. So far looks great playing games and DVD's.
Not sure how you guys test the back light, just a black backgroup with no icons?

Need to buy an adaptor so I can test the built in speakers with my PC.

^ yeah man, wow i saw it today at j&r
makes me want to get my money back on this 2005fpw :)

Back