toshiba laptops

92slammer

n00b
are they anygood? ive heard that they have MB problems. in fact my sisters is dead and its only 1.5 yrs old. I'm looking for a budget laptop and looking for suggestions

If your seeking help via forums; it would make it MUCH easier for everyone.. in the case of suggestions if you give us a little more information. What do you plan on using the laptop for?.. gaming / video editing / music / internet-browsing. Is weight / size an issue.. do you have any specific models you were looking at.. price-range?

:cool: I'll be glad to help if you give us a little more info.

I also found it very helpful to myself when I was browsing around the forums here.. just reading what people had to say.. and also @ www.notebookforums.com which specifically cover a wide range of models.. (oddly put :p )

A bunch of the toshiba consumer models had issues in the last few years. Personaly I would recomend something elce. Some had known issues with video on the motherboard but a bunch had issues with bad top covers(a70/75) which had major grounding issues because of the bad top cover.

I have a A75-S209 its a P4 3.02HT Xbright LCD, 512MB Ram, 80GB HDD. I have had it over a year with no probs. what i have seen alot though is loose DC jacks but thats been a problem lately on alot of laptop but sometimes it seems like it happens mostly on toshiba.

I have also seen 2 toshibas in 2 month period with defective onboard ram ,which sucks cause its integrated into the board so you have to replace the system board.

Javelin3o4 said:
I have a A75-S209 its a P4 3.02HT Xbright LCD, 512MB Ram, 80GB HDD. I have had it over a year with no probs. what i have seen alot though is loose DC jacks but thats been a problem lately on alot of laptop but sometimes it seems like it happens mostly on toshiba.

I have also seen 2 toshibas in 2 month period with defective onboard ram ,which sucks cause its integrated into the board so you have to replace the system board.

If your a75 has not had issues consider yourself lucky. The early ones had 2 different issues with the top covers. Like the first 2 years of a70/a75 models had these issues. A bunch of other toshbias had it too. The dc jack issue is pretty common but it is not just toshiba. Hell a few toshbia models say to glue the dc jack in if you are replacing the logicboard and have access to it.

i HATE toshiba notebooks, peices of crap IMO.

my GF had an a75... she didnt use it much 'cause she hated the size, speed, screen, and general cheapness of it. we sold it on ebay to some shmuck and bought her a T40. she's very happy now.

my opinion on toshibas is from more than just that pos, ive had more than one dead toshiba pass through my hands.

I got my wife a powerful a75... It is great!! I think it's one of the best laptops. I did hear horror stories for the first models over heating and the plastic melting. I know they had some bios updates and fixes for them. Thank god we havn't had any problems.

My wife just got me that one on sale at best buy... yay!

At the toshiba factory they actually have a machine that forms human waste into the shape of a laptop...then they put it in a box and ship it to best buy.

A little while ago I spent around $1600 on a Toshiba from costco. I had to take it back 2 days later because something wasn't working, I forget what. Got another one. It lasted a few hours before it went back. A completely different problem. Got another one. Guess what? Took it back because it had another completely different problem. This time I said keep your worthless laptop and give me my money back. I wouldn't even use a Toshiba laptop as a paper weight...

Wow, now you guys got me scared... I hope I don't have any problems... I have 14 days to return it. :)

Dude, I don't know what to tell you, other than get a dell. if something breaks, if its under warranty, it will get fixed within a week. As far as I'm concerned, thats the end of the story for me.

Toshiba has slipped bad on quality, especially their horrid motherboard problems. About 40% of the late model Tecra's and Satellites (1-3 years old) I get in at work have bad motherboards, 10-20% have bad LCD's. Way higher than industry standard failure rates, which is sad because Toshiba's used to make awesome laptops.

The_Engineer said:
Dude, I don't know what to tell you, other than get a dell. if something breaks, if its under warranty, it will get fixed within a week. As far as I'm concerned, thats the end of the story for me.

X2. That's what I got to replace my Toshiba. In 3 years it's had less problems than my Toshibas did in 3 days. It's broken a couple times because of my abuse, and the nice indian guy at Dell always overnights brand new parts to me completely free of charge.

Dell kicks ass while Toshiba comes out of an ass.

i would suggest just returning what you can while you can and getting something of higher quality. i refuse to buy anything but IBM laptops, they just ooze quality. ive been using the same T23 for 5 years. its been dropped, spilled on more times than i can count, and used just about every single day. although it is now a bit slow, it has never skipped a beat. i dropped this damn thing 5 feet onto concrete... on the front right hand corner. what happened? the corner of the LCD casing has a hairline crack. thats it. the screen is still 100% fine.

my girl has a T40. shes dropped it more times than ive dropped my 23, and carries it around every day just like i do (class). it has never skipped a beat either. IMO, laptops just dont get any better. I highly recommend them. they are well worth the extra cash... whats the point of getting a cheap laptop if its just gonna break and cost you more $ down the line? they also have the best keyboards (i like them more than my desktop keyboard) and mouse device i have ever used on a laptop (trackpoint)

The_Engineer said:

Dell's are a POS IMO, Ive seen dell send customers parts and expect them to change them on their own. yeah they may have a link to disassembly on their site but even then not everyone is comfortable taking a laptop apart.

I had one customer come in that needed the touch pad replaced, dell sends them the whole top section and a note saying go to the website for directions. the laptop had to be totally disassebled to change the top half.

Javelin3o4 said:
Dell's are a POS IMO, Ive seen dell send customers parts and expect them to change them on their own. yeah they may have a link to disassembly on their site but even then not everyone is comfortable taking a laptop apart.

I had one customer come in that needed the touch pad replaced, dell sends them the whole top section and a note saying go to the website for directions. the laptop had to be totally disassebled to change the top half.

Dell always gives you the option of returning the entire laptop to them for service. Most people, myself included, prefer to replace the part themselves than have to go a week or more without their laptop. Also, just because you think their warranty service might be bad doesn't make their products a "POS". :rolleyes: They have earned their extremely good reputation.

We had a lot of issues at work with the Satellites (as mentioned earlier in this thread). I've not had any problems w/ two different Tecras that I've had. And I've had this one, a Satellite P25, for 2.5 years w/ no problems.

pjaank said:
We had a lot of issues at work with the Satellites (as mentioned earlier in this thread). I've not had any problems w/ two different Tecras that I've had. And I've had this one, a Satellite P25, for 2.5 years w/ no problems.

The p25 didn't have that many issues if I remember. A bunch of them had bad dvdr drives but that was all of the thosibas from that time frame. Toshiba wants like 650 bucks for the dvdr drive too if it dies. :eek:
Good thing you can replace it with something elce most of the time.

Well i tested mine out and so far it's running nice and smooth. I am going ahead and keep one and return the other two. I will try the pin mod and slap more ram in it. (RAM is cheap!) woohoo... I am not doing any hardcore gaming, just using office and surfing the net when i'm at school.

we all choose what we want to do... Personally if you're not gaming, and just doing what you're saying you are going to use it for, don't risk the warranty for the pin mod, it may be worth it for the raw speed, but Pentium M's are damn fast pin modded or not. Just my 2c ^^

Oh, It is a celeron M, If it were a pentium M, I probably wouldn't have done it... maybe.

G/f and I both have 2 Toshiba Satellite M35. great laptop and neither of us have any problems on them for 2 years.

HOLY cow, I guess i'll have to turn my back on Toshiba after seeing all those bad posts... I remained optimistic, but after turning on my laptop today, I get this beautiful white vertical line the width of two pixels on my screen. I looked it up and apparently, this is actually common among all LCD screens, but damn... that happened fast!! It's only a week old!

This really blows because Bestbuy is going to hit me with a 15% restocking fee.... Well, I am unsure on what to do. It's been less than 2 weeks.. do I need to contact Toshiba and try to get it fixed... will Best buy take it back since it's defective?

noobtech said:
will Best buy take it back since it's defective?

They better, and give you 100% of the purchase price. If not call your attorney general. Don't send it to Toshiba, even if they fix it you still have a POS.

Okay sweet, I did contact Best buy to ask them and they said they will give a full refund ^_^ YAY!!! Thanks Axim.

I've owned half a dozen Toshiba laptops since 1997 and all have been excellent. Most recent model is from 2001/02. Don't have a clue about anything since then. If quality went shitty, I have no clue. All I know is the three I still have are plugging away like new.

Yeah, from what it seems from all the forum posts I read about Toshiba... they just went downhill or something.

Back