x1900xt Overclocking

bobrownik

Gawd
card is flashed to xtx now ,
so far 689/797 without voltage mods

one guy reported stock 3D voltage on the core to be 1.395, measured with a multimeter

post your overclocks and voltages here

If you disable Overdrive (might need to re-install the drivers) then disable the mode switcher (i.e. disable the ATI Smart service) and then use ATI Tool the speeds/volts should not change (except if you use the ATITool options).

This seems to work on the X1800XL/XT anyway.

Not that that will necessarily tell you the stock 3D Volts, might be an idea to mail W1zzard on the ATI Tool forum.

I'll have my X1900XTX tomorrow (I hope) so can verify if it works for me.

thanks for the reply ,

well , yeah you have to shutdown the atismart so it doesnt revert to stock clocks when overclocking , (on x1800 cards , i guess it would be the same for the x1900)

the ati overdrive didnt work the first time i installed the driver ,manually reinstalling the driver and then the rest fixed the problems , i can overclock the card to 689/797 but have to manually set the fan speed to 80% all the time while playing, it crashes with the stock fan settings,

i have a feeling this card will do better with watercooling and a voltage bump

bobrownik - Can you post your voltage settings for your overclock? I'm curious as to what they are. Thanks.

i would post it , the thing is i dont know what they are or how to look them up,

i believe the ati overdrive tries to find the maximum overclock at the stock 3d voltages,

so just use the ati overdrive and manual fan speed if you want to see how it will do,

i also want to know the stock 3d voltages, i dont need it right now but i will once i get the watercooling setup,

the reason i need the stock 3d voltages is to have a reference point where to start when overclocking above the ati overdrive clocks

You pretty much summed it up there bobrownik. I tried looking for any white papers with these numbers no no avail.

My dillema is that when I use the ATITool to monitor fan/overclocking/voltage(this overrides the ATI controls), it actually defaults to the ATI 2d Mode. Effectively, it downclocked my vid card permanently to 500/600. I found this out by doing a quick 3Dmark2006 and realized I was behind other 1900s by about 20%.

I can run my card at the 625/725ish, but occasionally it locks up on FEAR and HL2. I'm thinking this is because it's not receiving adequate voltage to the RAM adn GPU. The default 625/725 ATI voltages would help me (and others it seems) to start at a reference point.

Stupid ATI drivers!

Anyone who can provide these voltage defaults would be the hero of the day!

i had a driver issue at first , try doing this :

-update your .net to latest version
-uninstal the ati driver
-use the ati driver cleaner(from ati website)
-reboot
-go to X:\Install\Driver and run setup.exe (on the driver cd)

**this is a driver only install, after installing this my clocks started to change properly**

-reboot and run 3dmarks to verify the scores,
- if the scores go up , means the clocks change ,
-now from the auto run menu of the driver cd run the software install option
**now it should install the catalyst and whatever else it installs and be good to go**

you should prabably get a aftermarket cooler and setup a watercooling on some old rig ,
since you havent setup a watercooling rig before i think you should keep it away from the 500+ bucks video card

Yup, I've tried doing a clean uninstall (with the driver cleanup) and doing JUST the driver. When I had only the driver installed, the ATITool still gave me a window that said it was going to override the ATI voltage/RAM/GPU tool, and it still defaulted to 500/625.

the card will always default to 500/600 in 2d , so the ati tool will show 500/600

i think this might be a default clocks in the cards bios ,

so dont look at what clocks it has in 2d but run the 3dmark to compare the scores ,

and yeah , dont disable the atismart processes, the ati2evxx.exe is whats gonna switch the clocks when its going to 3d , if its not running , its not gonna switch

I have an X1900XT coming tomorrow (£375 from microdirect (UK) on special). I'm slapping on my Maze4 and some Tweakmonsters to see how low the temps will go.

Hopefully good overclocks are possible with some voltage uppage. Someone must have hit high clocks ???

i have the same waterblock but i dont want to put it on yet because i dont have any ramsinks and im thinking about getting fullcover block ,

post the temps after you get the maze4 on

Regarding the volts, Rocco* started a new thread, I've posted an idea about how to get them.

nemesis.ie said:
Regarding the volts, Rocco* started a new thread, I've posted an idea about how to get them.

No, ATi tool doesnt record voltages unfortunately. Just gotta wait on W1zzard to update his program.

I like it :) ...Heres htt kinda low..3d'01 around 43.1k..

screenshot1825yg.jpg

screenshot1844az.jpg

screenshot1830hr.jpg

everyone is pretty much maxing out the ati overdrive ,

we know the ram can run 900mhz @ 2.1v , i got to get this wateblock put on

hey viper ,

post the voltages you got those overclocks with ,

and also the cooling you are using ,

nice score , beating me by 600points so far

bobrownik said:
hey viper ,

post the voltages you got those overclocks with ,

and also the cooling you are using ,

nice score , beating me by 600points so far
1.45 core 2.2 mem stock cooler @ 100% gets to about 65deg at those speeds
my ram was also at 540(system mem) HTT at 1200

Is this with the OC tool or ATI Tool?

OC Tool has two voltage settings I seem to recall, are they both at 2.2v?

AtiTool has THREE mem voltages for the X1900s, if you are using that, are all three at 2.2v?

Thanks!

No in ati Tool b12, it has 3 voltages total, 2 core 1 mem? one is default 1.175 in 2D Clock, and mem is 2.09 or something =p I only changed those two as i had no idea what the third one was for >< I couldnt get the core past 739 even with 1.5V so i stopped tryin cuz it was getting warm 70+ even at 100%fan and the mem maxed out at about 860 also

maybe if i played with the second voltage id be ok but i'm gonna wait for better cooling =p

Digital Viper-X- said:
I;m using ATI tool ATM running 720/850 just hit 12614 =D
How did you get it to work. It failed on my system.
Does ATI Tool function properly with fan management and 3D detection or is it OC'd all the time?

basically what u do is when u shot down the ati2vexx stuff it shuts off autoswitching and ur card is stuck in 2d mode, so u put the voltages up to 3d mode and start playing with the clocks.

Ok, cool. That makes sense. I never tried the voltages. I knew of the voltage monitoring abilities but I didn't know that you could change the voltages. I thought that was either done electrically on the card itself or through a hacked BIOS.

Now I see where I went wrong. I tried to OC the card on 2D voltages! If you don't mind my asking, what are the safe ranges for memory and GPU voltage? I like the smell of new silicon, not burnt silicon. :)

I had my card running at 660/785 and it locked up during a level change. VPU recover stepped in and saved the day but I noticed that the fan didn't speed up at all. With my 850XT I had similar issues but when I used ATI tool to step it up once temps got above 52C, I was able to OC a lot more than with the stock fan speeds. I don't mind the noise while I'm shooting shit up. :D

Thanks!

tesfaye said:
Ok, cool. That makes sense. I never tried the voltages. I knew of the voltage monitoring abilities but I didn't know that you could change the voltages. I thought that was either done electrically on the card itself or through a hacked BIOS.

Now I see where I went wrong. I tried to OC the card on 2D voltages! If you don't mind my asking, what are the safe ranges for memory and GPU voltage? I like the smell of new silicon, not burnt silicon. :)

I had my card running at 660/785 and it locked up during a level change. VPU recover stepped in and saved the day but I noticed that the fan didn't speed up at all. With my 850XT I had similar issues but when I used ATI tool to step it up once temps got above 52C, I was able to OC a lot more than with the stock fan speeds. I don't mind the noise while I'm shooting shit up. :D

Thanks!

When ever I play games I Set my fan to 60-100% u can use teh dynamic one in ATI tool i have anything over 70deg set the fan to 75% and then 100% over 80deg, be warned though, at 1.5V core 740mhz, it will go over 70deg at 100% fan speed :| well for me at least with about 15degc ambient temp =p this beast is hot
1.5v core 2.2v mem

Digital Viper-X- said:
When ever I play games I Set my fan to 60-100% u can use teh dynamic one in ATI tool i have anything over 70deg set the fan to 75% and then 100% over 80deg, be warned though, at 1.5V core 740mhz, it will go over 70deg at 100% fan speed :| well for me at least with about 15degc ambient temp =p this beast is hot
1.5v core 2.2v mem
wow., 70c is hot. ill hive it a shot tonight. I'm on my way home as I write this.

posted from my Treo 700 ;)

tesfaye said:
wow., 70c is hot. ill hive it a shot tonight. I'm on my way home as I write this.

if you leave your card on default fan control it will break 70 and even 80 often ;)

Sweet keep goin' guys! I'm gonna sit the next couple rounds out and wait til we get more infos on what's what, hehe. Call me a chicken shit!

Digital Viper-X- said:
I'm going water cooling
at full speed fan stock clocks i was hitting 80deg in bf2 :<

Wow! It's 26c ambient in here and it hits 63c when playing F.E.A.R. You sure that fan's at 100%? Might have to pull that sucker off and check contact! (unless you already have)

How is the GPU Amp adjusted with ATI Tools? Is it just detected by the program or can it be adjusted?

hey guys,

I scored 9991 in 3D Mark05 last night while running 660/775. When I tried 690/800 it doesn't fail but I score 9830. what is that about? I left ove drive on and I use ati tool for fan speed control. Do you think voltage could be the issue? If I had to guess I would say temps are in the low to mid 60's while running 3D Mark at those speeds. I'm going by ati tools reading after exiting a 3D app.

thanks

RE: ATI tool voltages.

I have .25b12b running right now on the X1900XTX and am seeing a total of FOUR voltages:

VGPU, MVDDC, MVDDQ and VDDCI.

OK, the fourth one is also for core and not mem as I thought previously, but what are people setting it to? Is it helping? :)

I'm wondering now if I should get a new powersupply. I noticed that since putting my 1900XT in my machine does not power on fully. The video card's fan spins on high and never resets and my BIOS never posts. If I power off and then back on then all is well. I'm powering my rig with a 400W Enermax something or other. I have to check the exact model when I get in.

I would get a new PSU. Some people even have problems with 500W PSU's... not cheap ones either.

Great, more research! :) I don't want to spend more than $150 on a new PSU. I hope I can find something decent for that amount of money in the 550-650Watt range. Anyone have any suggestions? I think I might look into the PC Power.... PSUs (whatever that long ass name is).

tesfaye said:
Great, more research! :) I don't want to spend more than $150 on a new PSU. I hope I can find something decent for that amount of money in the 550-650Watt range. Anyone have any suggestions? I think I might look into the PC Power.... PSUs (whatever that long ass name is).

I have no problem running my machine on an Enermax Liberty 500 =p including 2 hds, 4 120mm fans dvdrw =D

Seconded. I have the 620w version and the voltages are rock stable and each rail is just a little over nominal on mine (3.32/5.08/12.10).

How are people getting on with the stock XT bios? Overdrive fails every time and goes back to 621/720. Manually overclocking using ATiTool didn't help me much - 631 core and 763 mem. This is with the fan set to 100% (ie NOISY) and I have BJ11 mem chips. And I'm not yet sure if this is stable (rebuilt XPand have no games installed now) Extra voltage doesn't help at all (been up to 1.45 VGPU and 2.225 VMEM). Wishing I'd forked out the extra £40 for an XT-X right about now. Seems cores are cherry picked after all, though I don't know what's up with the memory - 763 MHz when it's rated to ~900. WTF ???

Back