Bfg 7800gs Oc Agp

saintrobyn

Gawd
Just to let everyone know the 7800 GS OC is out. I bought one today at CompUSA. The CompUSA SKU is 337091 and the Model Number is BFGR78256GSOC. So far it is a nice card and a nifty little boost from the BFG 6800GT OC that I had in my system. I have been playing Battlefield 2 and Need for Speed Most Wanted and both seem to be smoother than before.

Sorry, I'm still on my new hardware high. :D

Out of the box it is clocked at 400MHz Core (up from 375MHz standard) and 1250 MHz Memory (up from 1200MHz standard). Right now I have it running at 475 / 1300 without any issues so far.

Right now I need a program that will tell me how many pipes I have and the processor that is in the unit (aka G70 or what ever it may be). Any suggestions?

Im surprised the box doesnt tell you . I believe Rivatuner gives #pipes and core revision.

Cali3350 said:
Im surprised the box doesnt tell you . I believe Rivatuner gives #pipes and core revision.

I have checked and if it is on there I am over looking it. I'll try Riva Tuner.

For those of you who think I am making this up here are some pics. Two things. One, yes I know there is an ATI card in the 7800GS box, it is the card out of my wife's machine she got my 6800GT. Two, sorry about the crappy card pick, I didn't feel like taking it out of my computer to shoot it and I forgot to shoot it before putting it in.

Nice goin bud, lookin good all snuggled in there :)

And a truck?

No one said you were "making this up" I just wanted to know how :)

This is wiered! The part is not even listed on BFG site! And like qbackin, nothing on Google or CompUSA either.

EDIT:
Searching 7800gs revealed some some 7800GS parts but not a BFG branded part.

qbackin said:
Nice goin bud, lookin good all snuggled in there :)

And a truck?

No one said you were "making this up" I just wanted to know how :)

I fixed it, I have know idea where the truck came from. As for the making it up comment, a troll said it and the post was deleted while I was replying. No disrespect was intended to anyone else.

My guess was that a store got it and released it before they were suppose to. I'll search it on Fry's system tomorrow.

Hmm, I might just stick with my AGP motherboard right now. Since I game on a 17" CRT, a 7800gs could last me quite a while.

$349 at Comp USA? Hmm, probably be a bit cheaper at Newegg/Monarch/ZZF.

mrbigshot said:
to check your pipes download rivatuner

God I know I am gonna sound like a noob and I feel silly for asking this because I have used it in the past, where do I look in Rivatuner for the pipes?

So I was right :D my crystal ball never lies. I saw this coming, but I will say that you did get this card a few days before hard launch. Either your a store employee or have some major connections or... are very lucky to have a local store that gives a rats ass about embargoes ;) Either way enjoy the fastest agp card out there. Oh and for the agp curious please run some 3dmark 05/06 benchies and post pics along with your rig specs.

Lord_Exodia said:
So I was right :D my crystal ball never lies. I saw this coming, but I will say that you did get this card a few days before hard launch. Either your a store employee or have some major connections or... are very lucky to have a local store that gives a rats ass about embargoes ;) Either way enjoy the fastest agp card out there. Oh and for the agp curious please run some 3dmark 05/06 benchies and post pics along with your rig specs.

I'll never tell :p

As for the benchmarks I'll post them a little later. Right now I'm just having fun playing games. :)

saintrobyn said:
God I know I am gonna sound like a noob and I feel silly for asking this because I have used it in the past, where do I look in Rivatuner for the pipes?

on the main page, it should tell you how many pipes you have

for my unlocked 6800nu here, it lists 16x1, 6vp. it means that i have 16 pixel pipes and 6 vertex pipes

fli_guy84 said:
on the main page, it should tell you how many pipes you have

for my unlocked 6800nu here, it lists 16x1, 6vp. it means that i have 16 pixel pipes and 6 vertex pipes

I knew I wasn't crazy, here is what I get:

As for the benchmarks here is what I get, my system is in my sig.

3D Mark 2003: 12511
3D Mark 2005: 6743
3D Mark 2006: 2895

I do believe this card needs a new set of drivers. In the FutureMark Online Results Browser it keeps coming up as "Generic VGA".

o_O, keep us updated on how it does in games man. I want to jump on this, but how come e-tailers dont seem to have it yet...this is like a strange first if you ask me. Heck, even hardware review sites dont have it, or under NDA.

But I heard the price was a bit high tho (325+ USD :eek: ) so I'll pass for now...or I bite the bullet and go for it =P

saintrobyn said:

I do believe this card needs a new set of drivers. In the FutureMark Online Results Browser it keeps coming up as "Generic VGA".

Scores seem pretty low for AGP... Maybe I was expecting a 7800GT in the bag.. guess not :(.

faster than 6800GS, slower than 7800GT. For that price, its pretty ghey. But if you are still on AGP, it could be a very good choice.

saintrobyn said:

We almost got the same score in 3DMark06..............my Athlon XP and 6800GT can't be nearly as good as your rig. Maybe new drivers will change things?

Wondering hows the noise on that thing?

Also have you checked if there are any unlockable quads? OC?

This is just blowing my mind, after all the official denials etc. to finally see this baby in the flesh! I think the scores compare very well to my 6800GT, and who knows what it may yet do, with drivers that fully support it? Plus, what if certain things are unlockable? Sorry, I'm a little giddy right now! After all, my birthday is right around the corner...

WOW, JUST WOW!

That card looks amazing. I wish they would have used a blue PCB on the 7800GT! :(

Congrats on picking that up!

How long is the card compared to the GT? My GT runs tight alongside one of my IDE controller ports and really puts a squeeze on the ribbon cable. If this card is shorter, bonus! If longer, I'm in even more trouble since the GT is also making things tight around my hard drives as it is.

she will be mine, oh yes, she will be mine.

good thing i have been sitting around waitng for this!!!

now all i need is a link to buy it (and i'm sure a couple other people on this foru)

Lord_Exodia said:
Holy shit! :eek: Yeah, you were sooo right...you've been saying this since the 7 series came out, I remember that...ahahaha...so cool! Take that, fuckers! :p

Saintrobyn, how's the card's temperature itself? Does it run pretty hot or not? Also, I'm particularly interested in how many additional molex connectors it has...can you give us any info on that? Thanks!

Ok here are some answerz to some of the questions.

1) The noise is not bad at all and I water cool my system so I do notice extra fan noise.

2) The card is the exact same length as the BFG 6800GT OC that I pulled out of my system. I compared them before I put the 7800GS in just to see if it was going to hit my hardrive or not.

3) The 3D Mark scores do seem low but I put no stock in them, I just use 3D Mark to see if my system is running stable. The only thing that I give a damn about is that the games run smooth. FEAR, Need for Speed Most Wanted, Battlefield 2, and Call of Duty 2 all run smoother with this card over my 6800GT.

4) I can't check if the are any unlockable quads yet just because RivaTuner does not support this card yet.

5) The card has one 4 Pin molex just like the 6800GT. At idle it runns about 40 Degrees Celcius. When I have more time I'll try and get a read while playing games. Since I have the problems with Riva Tuner that might be an issue.

That is about it, if anyone has anymore questions feel free to ask.

Purrrfect!!! :cool: Just the info I needed...thank you. :)

In other news, it seems a couple of stores are out of stock already, but one still has this particular item:

BFG GeForce 7800GS: EDIT: OUT OF STOCK AS WELL!
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=AA41650

XFX GeForce 7800GS: (all out of stock)
http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop...10040015013_BJ45135P.shtml&ORDER_ID=!ORDERID!
http://www.pcsuperstore.com/products/J45135-Pine_Technology-PVT70KUAF7.html
http://www.techdepot.com/product.asp?productid=4195735&affid=10000485
http://www.computers4sure.com/product.asp?productid=4195735&affid=10000483
http://www.sparco.com/cgi-bin/wfind2?spn=A54J531
http://www.fadfusion.com/selection.php?product_item_number=10161201368

Edit: This is what one of the online stores say:
store said:
Earliest ETA: 09-Feb-2006
Note: The ETA given is the estimated date that the item will become available, it is not a guaranteed date of availability.
So could we expect an "official" announcement by nVidia of the GeForce 7800GS by February 9th? :confused:

Woo! Thanks for the heads up on mwave.com having them.

I just posted an order, so we'll have to see if I get it in 2 days like they state... My income tax refund will actually be good for something now. :D

oh man....I really want someone to show some 6800gt vs 7800gs benches....if they're decent I think my card will be on the FS/T forums soon!

im interested to know if that was the 3dmark score when he OCed ?.. cause if that is, i want to see stock clocks scores as well.. then you can compare it.. or hell if it was stock clock scores.. give us some OC scores !

Does anybody know what ports are on the back of the new 7800gs? Dual DVI? s-video?

Also, does this card support HDTV output? I can get rid of my crt and use my 30 inch widescreen tube-based TV if it does. My 6800 OC AGP doesn't. :(

Kwincy

Ooooh. I sure hope those prices drop a tad bit. At $350 I'd probably just go with a PCI-E board and 7800gt.

Still looks very promising.

Good idea.

The reason I haven't bought higher end AGP vidcard lately is because I didn't want to spend more than 250 to maybe 300 on it, otherwise I woulda either bought a 6800GT AGP or finally made the switch to PCIe and got a 7800GT for less than this 7800GS debuts at.

My plan was to get that ASRock mobo with both AGP and PCIe with at least an A64 3500 and upgrade my AGP card later on down the road. Since I don't game as hardcore as to justify an SLI setup, this mobo seems like a good fit for my current 6800 OC vidcard.

Kwincy

now the hard part is waiting knowing the 7800gs are right around the corner...finally my 5900 ultra can retire!

Back