Opty 165 CCBWE 0551VPMW

Santos L. Halper

Limp Gawd
Just got it from Monarch.

I ordered it over the weekend as part of a combo.

Will get it set up over the weekend and try and clock it the weekend after that. Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who recently ordered from Monarch.

Santos L. Halper said:
Just got it from Monarch.

I ordered it over the weekend as part of a combo.

Will get it set up over the weekend and try and clock it the weekend after that. Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who recently ordered from Monarch.

I ordered a combo over the weekend too, retail version, it was a 0550UPMW

chemist_slime said:
I ordered a combo over the weekend too, retail version, it was a 0550UPMW

Mine was also the retail box version. Guess it's anybodys guess as to what you might be getting. :p

I ordered from Monarch last week... got it yesterday.

CCBWE & 0546... is that good? I got it to 2.6 with 1.4v 40c idle.

thought i'd chime in

i have the same-- opty 165 from Monarch, CCBWE 0551 VPMW,

very thirsty past 2.5. stock volts were good to 2.4, right now im at 1.5v for 2.6ghz, dual stressprime fine for 18 hours so far.

Like a lot of others, core 0 fails 2.65-2.7 while core 1 does not. I wonder if it's because you can't set affinity for OS processes with Windoze. They default to core 0 which can't get past 2.6.

Or it's the heatspreader like a lot of people have said. Either way, i guess it's ok for a 165. I'm happy. :)

Anyone know (or have a vague idea) what the lowest attained ("worst case") overclock is for a 165? I've had one on order for a month now (hopefully it'll _finally_ ship tomorrow though). I'll be happy with 2.2GHz. Anyone heard of one that didn't go past 2.2? Didn't go past 2.4? (factoring out MB-issues).

2.2 would be sweet for the price...

i think AT LEAST 2.4 is the norm for the DC optys. most people seem to be getting 2.5 or more.

eloj said:
Anyone know (or have a vague idea) what the lowest attained ("worst case") overclock is for a 165? I've had one on order for a month now (hopefully it'll _finally_ ship tomorrow though). I'll be happy with 2.2GHz. Anyone heard of one that didn't go past 2.2? Didn't go past 2.4? (factoring out MB-issues).

2.2 would be sweet for the price...

If you don't get 2.2 i'd be shocked. I would say 2.4 is the norm in most cases.

Thought I'd give an update.

I'm currently at 2385Mhz (1.4v) on this Opty 165 (0551 VPMW) right now, that's just raising the HTT to 265. My RAM is rated up to 275, so I'm sure I'll be able to do that without a problem as well.

I had absolutly no problems, but it's also not that high for a 165. I just haven't had the time to really sit down and find the max OC yet.

Hopefully I will be able to find out what the max is sometime this weekend.
:cool:

noobtech said:
I ordered from Monarch last week... got it yesterday.

CCBWE & 0546... is that good? I got it to 2.6 with 1.4v 40c idle.

Mine is CCBWE 0547 i think Tsomething something... =p
its a toledo core and clocks like MAD =D 2.7Ghz = 1.4V

Santos L. Halper said:
Thought I'd give an update.

I'm currently at 2385Mhz (1.4v) on this Opty 165 (0551 VPMW) right now, that's just raising the HTT to 265. My RAM is rated up to 275, so I'm sure I'll be able to do that without a problem as well.

I had absolutly no problems, but it's also not that high for a 165. I just haven't had the time to really sit down and find the max OC yet.

Hopefully I will be able to find out what the max is sometime this weekend.
:cool:

that's not bad already though, be nice if you hot 2.7 or higher though.

Another Update:

Last night I was able to run 2 instances of Prime95 for 9 hours at 2610Mhz.

Only problem was I had to bump the CPU voltage up to 1.5v. The HTT is set at 290 with a multi of 9. RAM is at 2.8V 2.5-4-4-8@260Mhz.

This gave me temps of up to 53C on the proc and 49C on the chipset.

2 questions:

1. Is 1.5V pushing it for the CPU? I know I've seen others on the [H] running their Opty's at 1.5V, but is that the limit?

2. Are those temps too high?

That's a pretty nice OC.
I think the max most people are willing to go is 1.55 on the vcore.
Your temps are a little high, but not really that bad at all. You could invest in some better cooling, and maybe push it a bit more, but i think you are at a good point already.

dtess17 said:
That's a pretty nice OC.
Your temps are a little high, but not really that bad at all. You could invest in some better cooling, and maybe push it a bit more, but i think you are at a good point already.

Thanks for the advice. It's always tempting to push it too far, so thanks for being the voice of reason. :p

Cooling right now is provided by an XP-90 and Panaflo--I'm not planning on H2O anytime soon--so I'm pretty happy where I'm at.

It's still tempting to go for the sacred 300HTT but, I think I'm gonna leave it alone for now.

When I get home I'm going to try dropping the CPU vcore .25--hopefully it's still stable and lowers temps a few degrees.

Santos L. Halper said:
Thanks for the advice. It's always tempting to push it too far, so thanks for being the voice of reason. :p

Cooling right now is provided by an XP-90 and Panaflo--I'm not planning on H2O anytime soon--so I'm pretty happy where I'm at.

It's still tempting to go for the sacred 300HTT but, I think I'm gonna leave it alone for now.

When I get home I'm going to try dropping the CPU vcore .25--hopefully it's still stable and lowers temps a few degrees.

you could just get an better HSF, then XP-90 although good, has been showing it's age. I think there are other heatsinks that could at the very least drop your temps if not allow for a higher OC.

banjosareunderrated said:
Like a lot of others, core 0 fails 2.65-2.7 while core 1 does not. I wonder if it's because you can't set affinity for OS processes with Windoze. They default to core 0 which can't get past 2.6.
With mine it usually fails on the second core (core 1) first.

You can set proc affinity in windoze. Open up task manager, go to processes and right-click on the prime95.exe process. You'll see a "set affinity" option there.

Played around with the CPU voltage some more tonight.

For some reason this Opty 165 needs to have a 1.5 vcore in order to be stable at 2.6Ghz. (290HTT, 9x Multi, RAM@260Mhz 2.5-4-4-8 9/10 div.)

If I drop the HTT down to 285 I can run at a 1.4 vcore, have much more reasonable temps, and run only 50mhz slower than the 290HTT.

I don't think the 50Mhz is worth the extra vcore and temps that are about 7-10C higher. (Max temp @ 1.4 is 42C -- Max temp @ 1.5 is 53)

So, I'll just stick it at 2565Mhz for now. ;)

mr-busta said:
With mine it usually fails on the second core (core 1) first.

You can set proc affinity in windoze. Open up task manager, go to processes and right-click on the prime95.exe process. You'll see a "set affinity" option there.

thx for the reply, but I meant windows' process' affinities. With stress prime, you can isolate two instanced onto each core within the app.

I've since heard from other people that they've seen both the core running the OS is stable while the other fails so it's still a case of core strength. I was looking in the wrong direction.

dtess17 said:
That's a pretty nice OC.

Heh, I tried shoving 1.70V into my 148 to see if I could break 3ghz. It generates way too much heat with those volts but with water cooling I think it'd work :rolleyes:

Santos L. Halper said:
Played around with the CPU voltage some more tonight.

For some reason this Opty 165 needs to have a 1.5 vcore in order to be stable at 2.6Ghz. (290HTT, 9x Multi, RAM@260Mhz 2.5-4-4-8 9/10 div.)

If I drop the HTT down to 285 I can run at a 1.4 vcore, have much more reasonable temps, and run only 50mhz slower than the 290HTT.

I don't think the 50Mhz is worth the extra vcore and temps that are about 7-10C higher. (Max temp @ 1.4 is 42C -- Max temp @ 1.5 is 53)

So, I'll just stick it at 2565Mhz for now. ;)

I've noticed DC is like that in general. I can hit 2700 at 1.46, but can't hit 2750 with 1.48. It takes like 1.49 or so to get to 2750, haven't really tried maxing out at 1.55v since the temps rise rapidly from there. All i know is at 1.5 I can not hit 2800 so it's not really worth it for me.

I have a 165 CCBWE, I forget the week.

It's been running great at 2700mhz for around a month now. I had it at 1.63v before, but now it's at 1.55v in the BIOS, speedfan reports 1.54v in windows.

halo112358 said:
Heh, I tried shoving 1.70V into my 148 to see if I could break 3ghz. It generates way too much heat with those volts but with water cooling I think it'd work :rolleyes:

Not sure what you are thinking there...that is really high, alot of people that watercool don't even go for that. Good way to fry a proc i guess

Back