BOSS:FX-57 MaxPC RotM Sept.2006

Tech-Daddy

Gawd
Just a quick note to show off a case that I am pretty proud of!
The case this is based off of is a silver RC 531. All alum front bezel... mmmmm, nice!

I took all of this:
CM_equip.jpg

stash1.jpg

stash2.jpg

stash3.jpg

stash4.jpg

And using blood:
ps_bite.jpg

ps_bite2.jpg

ps_bite3.jpg

sweat and a few tears (Why da' F*#K did the fiberglass do that?!??!)

I created this!

CM_Final5.jpg

CM_Final6.jpg

CM_Final7.jpg

CM_Final10.jpg

CM_Final11.jpg

CM_Final12.jpg

CM_Final13.jpg

CM_Final16.jpg

I based it off of the 69 Boss 302 Mustang:
ford_67.jpg

ford_209.jpg

69boss302_01.jpg

I found this little tidbit, I've cleaned it up and will put it on the front of the machine right over the front intake (just like on the radiator)
mustang.jpg

Not done with it yet, I still have a power cabling system that I bought parts for that I need to complete, and there are some seriously rough spots on the scoop that I need to clean up and get properly "finished".

But the bulk of the work was completed and it is my daily user now! ;)

Hope you like! I'm pretty happy with it!
:D

This case was the result of the 3rd stage of the Coolermaster Case mod competition that I was competing in. The rules were pretty simple for Stage 3... had to be all Coolermaster, if they made it... you could not use a competitors product. Kind of evened the playing field for the 5 finalists.

5 very different cases emerged at the end!

I must say though, CM produtcs have proven to be of a great quality and build... I am a fan now (no pun intended) of what I have seen. I still have a lot of their stuff in my garage, and have another one of their cases that I bought off of eBay ready "in the wings" for my next project.

Looks sweet! Very nice job. :cool: :D With high performance parts to boot! How did you make the air scoupe on the top? A putty or something?

I have seen this in person and the pictures do no do it justice. Great work Tech-Daddy. A small stepping stone in the long line of mods to come I am sure. ;)

that thing is baddo!!!!! :D :D

Love the Gigabyte 6800GTs with those wrap around heatpipe coolers... the pipes look like headers. :cool:

i cant get enough of this mod... im ready to see what is next too

reins said:
Looks sweet! Very nice job. :cool: :D With high performance parts to boot! How did you make the air scoupe on the top? A putty or something?

Aluminium on the base to get the general shape, then covered it in spray foam, cut and sanded the foam down, then put foberglass over that and sanded that until my arm damn near fell off...

Here is the cut sheet loaded into the bender:
bend1.jpg

After bending it into submission:
scoop5.jpg

scoop6.jpg

scoop7.jpg

covered in spray foam:
foamy.jpg

foamy2.jpg

Looked a bit like a turkey here...
foamy3.jpg

Started with the coping saw and sheared off the top:
foamy4.jpg

After shaping the foam:
scoop8.jpg

scoop9.jpg

scoop10.jpg

Then 2 layers of fiberglass and several sanding layers of bondo:
scoop11.jpg

scoop12.jpg

scoop13.jpg

scoop14.jpg

scoop15.jpg

And *that*, my friends... is how you make a scoop the [H]ARD way! ;)

Mickey21 said:
I have seen this in person and the pictures do no do it justice. Great work Tech-Daddy. A small stepping stone in the long line of mods to come I am sure. ;)

Thanks Mickey21!

Yeah... starting to get the itch to hit my next one.
"Must.... Practice... Airbrush...."

"Must... resist... cutting...."
;)

The case is the sexiest beast I've ever seen.

Mustangs for life. omg.

Thanks everyone!

BellaCroix said:
Nice work... who did your decals?
I designed the work in vector format and then shipped the striping to FastSigns to be cut!

Volucris said:
Why do I feel like this isn't new?
I had actually posted a few of the finished pics over in the Coolermaster and "Rate my Cables" threads. Also, I had my worklog on a few other forums as well, so you may have seen it take shape in a few other locations.

was that the Mustang that was on AutoManiac? It was a special one that Goldberg? bought from some auction that was used in the Vietnam war to inspire troops?

wow a lot of heart and soul in this mod. Making the scoop sure was a messy process.

I didn't get the Mustang reference till you showed the pic, which makes it all the more impressive because I was thinking it reminded me of a Charger!

Kudos and props to you, and keep 'em coming!

{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
was that the Mustang that was on AutoManiac? It was a special one that Goldberg? bought from some auction that was used in the Vietnam war to inspire troops?

I honestly have no idea. I have never heard of the references you are making, or the movie or whatever... do you have any links?

Thanks everyone for the replies!
No... it aint a Charger! (but that is not a bad idea for another one! ;) )

Yeah, a lot of heart and soul (and a sh*tload of "I should be sleeping but WTF... let's stay up and finish this") energy went into this. Still more time to be spent doing the details that I want, but... damn... I really like how this came out in general! ;)

Thanks all!!!

automaniac is a show hosted by the wrestler/actor bill goldberg. he is a huge auto collector nut. showed him driving one of his ferraris, and it looked like a ratfink drawing, he barely fit inside. they do shows about all different types of cars. its pretty good. i think its on history channel, but might be a different channel.

i was wondering why you named it boss , until i saw the paint and realized exactly why. i alway liked all versions of the boss mustang, old and new. great looks, great colors. the air breather looks tight in there. nice touches all around to a truly unique setup.

all the blood sweat and tears paid off.

you might be able to find a torrent of the show.

Thanks guys!

As a test, I posted it to a BOSS collector's forum. The guys that are like fanatical, numbers matching BOSS builders and traders.

They liked it alot!
Commentary was very entertaining!
;)
:p

i wonder how much you would charge to make another one of those cases??

Now that I have been through the process, and I know WTF I'm doing... ;) I "may" be open to orders. There has been a lot of interest! I'd need to refine the production of the case, but have *no* clue how much to charge... If I could get the customizations refined, I could likely make them within a reasonably affordable range. Right now, my construction method is *way* too manual. Hell... it was the first time I had ever worked with these materials all together.

Very much a prototype.

Thank you for the interest, and if enough people express interest, I may be able to produce a limited run of these cases.

They would all be hand built, as I have no automation to pull from, apart from my growing power tool collection!
;)

However all of this would likely need to wait, as I have begun planning out my next 2 machines. And those have time lines and "fuses" attached. I'll need to bust those out before giving serious production thought to building another BOSS type case config.

I'm not averse to it, as it is the direction that I eventually want to end up at, building custom cases for a living.

hey id like to say i love the paint job and it would go great with my 69 mustang at home =p :cool:

Wow this looks... amazing.... The front still needs some curves though but this is indeed a very well done mod. Good job!

Back