Interview with a Viper ([H]ard|DC'er for January)

AtomicMoose

[H]F Junkie
At the request of a few, I am giving this it's own thread.

tdg: Congratulations on being chosen the DC'r of the month, how does it feel to be chosen by your fellow [H] members as a member who stands out?

Viper87227: It feels awesome. I have never really had a team like the [H] to be part of in the past. It's cool that I can do something to make the team better.

tdg: Is there a particular reason why you believe you were chosen?

Viper87227: I'd have to guess it was the contests.

tdg: Yes, the contests have been a big hit, and a good incentive to the folders.

tdg: What are the reasons you fold? For points, the cure, or what?

Viper87227: Definitely for the cure. Cancer has been all over in my family. I lost a grandma and great-grandma to it, as well as an uncle. Both my mom and aunt are officially cured, but they struggled with the beast for years. I don't exactly have a lot of money coming in, so folding is my way of contributing to the cure without being able to put a lot of money into charities.

tdg: I'm sorry to hear about your losses, just a few weeks ago my mother had surgery for breast cancer, and hopefully it won't return, but it's definitely a sobering experience.

Viper87227: I'm sorry to hear that. I will hope for the best.

tdg: Thanks, hopefully folding can help find the cure, and glad we have people like you and the other folders out there that hope for the same.

tdg: Do you participate in F@H, UD or both?

Viper87227: F@H. For some reason, I never really even researched UD to much. I am sure I will give it a shot at some point, but as of right now I know a lot more about F@H, so I am sticking to that.

tdg: How many machines do you have folding for you?

Viper87227: Right now, I have four at home and two at work, but I have to more computers sitting around that I have to get going. Hopefully they will be going soon.

tdg: Roughly how many GHz do you have total as of now?

Viper87227: 14.2 GHz right now. Those other two boxen will put me up to 17.5 GHz.

tdg: Pretty decent amount of power there, much better than my 6 GHz. How long have you been folding, and how many points and/or work units have you gotten so far?

Viper87227: I started up folding back in September 04 or so, but stopped after about a week. The graphical client gave me problems and I didn't research it enough to know about the console. I didn't really get into Folding until that December, when I decided to kick off the first contest. As of right now I have 813 WU's and 147,235 points.

tdg: That's a pretty fair number of points.

tdg: Where do you rank overall on the team?

Viper87227: 308

tdg: Are you still moving up closer to the top? I know there are a lot of heavy hitters up there and it can take some real power to move upwards.

Viper87227: I'm on my way up, slowly but surely. I certainly do not plan to stop folding, so I will make my way up there with the best of them eventually.

tdg: And two more folders are bound to help out.

tdg: I'm sure I know the answer to this, but what would you like to see folding do? Cure a particular disease?

Viper87227: Cancer is the biggest thing I would like to see the cure for, but I won't limit myself to just that. If it can find a cure to something else, I will be just as happy with that.

tdg: Yes, cancer is definitely one disease too many people succumb to, but that's novel to hope for a cure for any disease.

tdg: So do you have any more contests planned for the future?

Viper87227: Yeah. I really enjoyed working with p[H]ant0m on the [H]ardBowl. I can't wait to see next week's conclusion. We have done a bit a talking on what to do once it's finished up, but have not developed anything concrete. Once the Bowl is finished, we will get working on the next contest.

tdg: The [H]ardBowl is a hit, probably one of the most anticipated contests ever.

Viper87227: I agree. It's definitely the most fun I have had on a contest.

tdg: And the contests really help, I was talking to p[H]ant0m just a few weeks ago, and he mentioned that you were actually the one who got him into folding, he wanted a gmail invite from one of your previous contests.

Viper87227: Oh? I never heard that from him. It's nice to hear that my contests brought in one of the more respected members of the team. I always thought he was around longer than that.

tdg: Nope, he said he wanted that gmail invite, so he started folding.

tdg: Makes the contests worthwhile I bet to know you've achieved that.

Viper87227: Definitely. It's always nice to hear that my efforts are bringing in new members.

tdg: They truly are. Do you have any rough idea how many new members you've turned onto folding?

Viper87227: I honestly have no idea. I'd like to hope it's a rather large number though.

tdg: Well it's obvious you've got at least a few directly into folding, and they've got some into folding, all told you've probably gotten a lot of people into it.

tdg: Where would you like to see the team go, more folders, more output?

Viper87227: Really, I'd like to see the team keep going in the direction we are headed. We have a lot of points, and a great community on the forums. Also, lets not forget were creating a nice gap between [H] and OCAU. I want to see it stay that way

tdg: Yeah, beating OCAU was fun

tdg: And I agree the community is great, I switched teams a few months ago and have been much happier with the [H].

Viper87227: I know you're the one doing the interview and all, but I've got to ask. What team were you on before?

tdg: PC Perspective (AMDMB.com).

tdg: I didn't even realize [H] had a team for quite a while.

Viper87227: Same. I have been a member on [H] a lot longer than I had been on the folding team. I only wish I had found out sooner.

tdg: But the contests and front page pimpage made me switch.

Viper87227: Looks like you made the right choice.

tdg: I sure did

tdg: [H] is much more fun and friendly.

tdg: Well I think that's about it, any other comments you'd like to give to your fellow DC'rs?

Viper87227: Yeah. I just want to say thanks to everyone who voted me. It's quite an honor.

tdg: Well I think I speak for the team; we thank you for your contests, and all your hard work, keep on folding!

Viper87227: Not a problem. Can't wait to keep doing more.

thats really cool great job tdg

and Congrats Viper on Winning [H]ard Dcer of the month!!

Great interview! I'm looking forward to more of them in the future.

Thanks guys, it was my first real one so expect them to improve in the future. And thanks of course to Viper for being a great interview subject and all his contributions to the team :cool:

So, Viper really is gay?

:D

Good job all, now if Moose can format things so it does not look like something I wrote we will be all set! :p

marty9876 said:
So, Viper really is gay?

:D

Good job all, now if Moose can format things so it does not look like something I wrote we will be all set! :p

What part of that interview made you think I was gay? :p

Back