Project: Ark Of Covenant PC Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorpionjwp

2[H]4U
Well like the title says, I'm going to tackle building a modernized version of the Ark. To start off it will not be the same size as the original, but shrunk down by some inches. It will be of 4ft 5in long, 2ft width, 2ft high.

Here is what It will contain split among 3 floors:

1 of 3 floor will have 2 Motherboards, 1 being a Abit KV8Pro Socket 754 motherboard and the other being a Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 nForce4 4x motherboard. Along with the two port kvm switch and a acrylic 3inch tubing that will be parallel from the processors sucking the heat from processors to the back of the case. On this floor will be a backplate that will have ports for the video, mouse, keyboard, usb, firewire, sata, and audio. Meaning using the 2-port kvm, there is only one input place for the devices.

2 of 3 Floor will have the 2x power supplies along with a surge protector with the prong end lopped off to go to a receptacle which a 2 headed power cable will be. Meaning the power cable will be removed easily for transport. Also on this floor will be the hard drives with the optical drives.

3 of 3 A acrylic sheet with scribed an [H] Logo and maybe some insightful words from Kyle Bennet and the [H]orde folding team 33.

Around the case inside will be places for fans, 92mm or 120mm antec fans.
On the outside, I will attempt in anyway to replicate the carvings and create the statues at the top of the case. Enough of me talking, I show pics.

ark1.jpg

Motherboard #1
ark2.jpg

Motherboard #2
ark4.jpg

Kvm Location
ark3.jpg

Oh Ya, I forgot, I have a teaser pict of a part for the second floor.

ark5.jpg

I haven't trimmed the lower 1 of 3 floor yet, it will be done tomorrow, that is why the lines are on the sheet of Formica, showing of where the cuts will be.
Tthe left side might be extended to give more room, still not sure about that.
Now just wonder what I'm going to do next.

Reread the bottom sentences above your post.
And oh cooling is a priority in this case, I might put a third motherboard in this case or I might not. It all depends of where I get on the lower floor that will decide for a third motherboard. But till now, 2 motherboards will do or till I get my taxes done and wait for the check for more money.

Back to the drawing board!

I was sketching up an Ark of the Covenant case for the last few months. Mine was based on the Ark from Indiana Jones (which was actually pretty well researched).

Good luck man! Remember, when you open it, keep your eyes closed no matter what... last guy who looked inside that thing had his face melt off!

You could fit at least 10-15 motherboards in the case if you made it life-size :D

Hey I'll make it a size where as two people can handle it, no more no less. And I would like to take it to a lan party one day.

Where am I, Oh yes I am going to lowes tomorrow to get the hardware for the two poles that will go on the sides of the case.

This is definatly an original project, i certainly wouldn've thought to use the ARK of the Covenant as a computer case, wow. nice goin. :D

I went out to Lowes today to purchase the hardware for the base of the mod. 4 mounting plates and 4 small table legs that are about 2 inches tall.

I will post a picture tonight of my bag o hardware to make this mod more interesting.

You are going to spray it gold and have lights inside also?

This will be very cool!

Yes that is the plan also, portions of the sides will have lexan acrylic to see inside. I have the four stubby legs attached to the bottom baseplate, it so far holds up to 100lbs or my body with ease, but it bends towards the middle, so another leg will be placed there.

The legs are on the bottom of this 4ft 5in by 2ft wide baseplate, for added safety I'm adding a fifth leg to the bottom.

And Oh Yah, I have other tricks up my sleeves for this case mod, one that involves using the side poles and having the whole case be made as a chair/pc combo. Only the left the right sides of the case will have clear windows, the front and back will have removable panels to access the drives and backplate.

Bottom is grey Formica, the rest of the case will be oak, sprayed with gold paint.

Ah we have the biggest case mods in this forum fighting for the top spot. In the corner we have the scratch build [H]Ark Of Covenant PC Mod. In the other corner we have the Mig Monster Server v1.0. I ask who's will come out better and more ideas put forth?

We'll Let you decide, but till then I will constantly keep working on this project.

I'm confused, while I like the idea of an Indiana Jones style Ark case. Why the need for 3 levels and 3 motherboards?

Unless you are running several monitors and having several systems running all at the same time I don't see a need for it? Unless of course you want one centralized case of rall your PCs. Which then would make sense with the KVM switch, but again, you are only going to be able to swap between 2 computers on one screen so then you'd need a second monitor to use the 3 third computer.

I think in a way, I've probably answered my own questions. But I still can't help but feel confused on the whole project.

Hopefully you can explain this a little more indepth as to what your reasoning is for the three mobos.

I'm going to go take some Tylenol as my head hurts from trying to figure it out.

I'll be watching this build regardless as it's very interesting.

No the three levels are not for 3 motherboards.

1. the lower level will have 4 motherboards to it along with a 4 port kvm with a backplate on the back of the case for the mouse, monitor and keyboard connections.
2. the second level will have the powersupplies, 2x 500 watt power supplies and 2x 400 w true power supplies along with a high quality surge protector that will have an exit to a recepticle that will have a 2 way power cord.

3. the Third level will have the drive arrays.

I hope this very well answers your question Moose777. Either I buy three pc cases or build this monster, I would rather build this case.

There is a reason why I showed this picture:
ark5.jpg

It is the port where on the back side is where I will lop off the plug to the surge protector connect it to this. Then use a standard power cord, lop off the other end to put a plug on it so the cord will be used 2 ways and for use of transport of this case.

If you see any chaps in SS uniforms around your house, I suggest you call the police immediately.

Pretty nice work, I'll be checking in on what your upto while my build progresses ... You should have a look at my cabling system when it completes (next few days). Suprisingly my case pretty much had pre-build what I was planning on building with sheet metal and rods ... anyhow it's going to work out really well :)

and I feel like such a fool my case topic was a type I had meant to say 'Big Mother Server v1.0' but I had typed 'Mig Mother Server v1.0'

oups .. this did contain an update for my work project posted into the wrong thread :) ... are our projects that similar ? :)

Thanks guys, for the added support of subscribing to this thread. This case should be about the same size as a entertainment center case I once tried to build, but it came out looking like crap, so I dismantled it.

Like between 3 years till now, I learned quite a bit on building pc's and built a newer case for the cd changer/radio. So that to make up from the mistakes I learned from, I present you for your viewing pleasure this case mod.

looking at the mod, I can already tell you it will weight about 120-200lbs when finished. Since I'm thinking about it, I will have under the lid a 17in lcd screen mounted to the bottom of it.

Sorry Guys, I have no update on this case except that I will be getting soon the fifth leg and bracket to put it on the baseplate. I believe my budget for this project every week will be $25.00-$30.00 placed to the side for this project to get the wood for it. I have decided that I will go to woodcraft.com for my building materials, they have exotic wood such as Yellowheart wood, which has a gold color to it, so no need to spray paint it gold.

But as for a update picture, here is the picture, where the ark will begin.
base.jpg

Thanks, oh btw, I went to woodcraft to purchase a 3 ft board of yellowheart wood. I'm currently working on one corner of the ark, its alittle hard to do it with only one person working on it and that is me.

I have realized that wood screws are hard to screw into Formica, so I'll have to bolt the corners down, thus making it stronger and heavier too.

I'll have a picture soon, maybe tomorrow or saturday, have the morning shift 9-5 on Thursday and Friday.

Sorry Guys for the lack of updates, my job at Krogers has me stressed out, it's a job no less, I'm just glad I have one, no matter what it is. It's been slow and I have lack of $$$ to get any farther than one corner of the ark at a time. It may take a year or earlier, so I'll post pictures of what I can, but I will not leave you all hanging.

I'm off tomorrow, so something will be done on it, just hoping work doesn't call me on my day off. Then my idea of getting something done will have gone down the tube.

It's gonna suck if/when God gets angry about this and fries the ark with electrical arcs shooting every which way... and then he melts your face off...

if anybody else is around when that happens... be sure to close your eyes and don't open them til all the nazi's are dead

other than that... nice project man, it should look awesome before it's destroyed

The Ark Of Covenant PC Mod Thou Shall not be destroyed! It shall live up to God's expectations by size and sheer pc power.

But like the Original Ark it took some time to built it also. So in a week or so, the other corner will be up and I'll be working on getting the other corners up.

Scorpionjwp said:
The Ark Of Covenant PC Mod Thou Shall not be destroyed! It shall live up to God's expectations by size and sheer pc power.

But like the Original Ark it took some time to built it also. So in a week or so, the other corner will be up and I'll be working on getting the other corners up.

not too mention god gave the original builders the detailed plans, so i can't imagine it was too hard for them :D

Ya very funny, I am going by what I see on the internet and searching google. I'm building the Newly Updated Ark Of Covenant for the 21st century. Same size, same look, but a few new items to the list, bullet-proof lexan sides, 4x motherboard config of different types: Slot2, socket 370, socket 754, and socket 939, also it weights and is different size of Original ark.

Ah got the taxes done, in a few weeks check shows up and this project will go full steam.

Sorry no update on the case mod, I have been stricken with Ashma this week, and fighting a cold that came along with the attack.

Guys This mod is not dead, but it will take time to get some more wood and parts for this project. I am trying to save up quite a bit of money to get a few things.

Update: 3-27-06
Continued work on second corner, it is quite sturdy than the first corner that was put up. I also purchased some more wood, some Popular for the sides and mending plates to attach the side pieces. Later in the evening, I finished putting up second corner and attached 2 corner braces to the wood. I also attached 1 mending plate and cut the side pieces for the right side.

Update: 3-29-06
Start in the morning, work on the third corner and finish attaching second mending plate to bottom side piece on right side of case mod/chest. Attach fifth leg to middle of baseplate that should have been installed already, but was forgotten.

Can we have a drum roll please, pics will arrive in the morning with the progress since the last set of pictures.

Ah a good ol update:
The mod is coming along quite nicely.
ark6.jpg

ark7.jpg

In a few days I shall have the other corner up and working on the long sides.
Oh and more comments please, it just cheers me up when someone says something nice about the mod. It is getting expensive to use yellowheart on all of the sides, so only the corner pieces is getting it.

To prevent the lightning bolts from coming out you can ground it :p

Nah I was thinking about putting a few flash bulbs in the top and when someone opens it, they are blinded for a few seconds.

ok, not a great idea its the thought that counts.

So, where do I stand with the mod, Well I will work on some more of the case tomorrow. My boss owes it to me, so they gave me a day off on Saturday. I went down to Lowes to get some more hardware, I got the side pole holders hardware, but I'm not going to install them yet till I progress more on the case sides.

To let everyone know, for the past several days, I have worked steadily on this case mod. Till recently have I had more time or lack of time, or whatever because of work. But if I make myself better with tracking time, I could get more progress done on this mod.

So for you viewing or drooling entertainment more pictures have sufaced on the progress on this mod, Behold, and look, then wonder, What's his next move?

And if you ask which side is the back, it's the one that has a full side to it, but alas I'm running out of time till I go to work, here we go.

corner4.jpg

bareback.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back