After market GPU Cooler Poll(formerly do you use an aftermarket...)

What video card cooler are you running on your fastest card?

• Total voters

TheJackal

[H]ard|Gawd
So, how many [H] users use an aftermarket GPU cooler? I think most people replace the stock coolers to reduce noise and provide better cooling for higher overclocking. Graphics card manufactuer's should offer Zalmans or Artic Cooling coolers on their GPUs to save consumers time. I'd say that would boost sales as come on, who really wants the noisy coolers? I know that there are some good stock coolers, mostly on 7800 series cards and I'm not sure about the x1800 series. So, do you use one?

edit: Crap, it was supposed to be a "Yes" or "No" poll, but i hit back to add my badge. :(

Yes - 2
No -

The first thing I upgrade is the cooling when I buy a new videocard! Stock cooling solutions generally suck ass with rare exception.
For my old 6600GT AGP I run a STASIS IceStorm NV43AGP cooler. :p
My 6800GT and 7800GTX's are cooled with water now using two STASIS Neptune NVx1 waterblocks. The temperature difference between air and water, especially under load is phenomenal! :cool:

i have the stock cooler on my 6800 ultra and the temp is very consistent.
i dont want to lose the warranty by switching to an aftermarket cooler.
but it sure would be nice if it was an option to buy a zalman

The cooler EVGA used on their 7800GTX is good enough for me, covers the whole card and it isnt really that noisey.

YARDofSTUF said:
The cooler EVGA used on their 7800GTX is good enough for me, covers the whole card and it isnt really that noisey.

For what it's worth it gets a lot hotter than the zalman cooler.. I suspect a better fan on the OEM heatsink would be nice.

I have twin Zalman VF700's on my 7800GT's right now, I did have two Artic Cooling NV Silencer 5 Rev. 3's on them, but they were just too big.

I have a Zalman Vf700 on my XFX 6800GT. I have it on silent mode (5v). I don't overclock, and I wasn't worried about temperatures so much as I just couldn't take the noise of the stock cooler. Even normal mode (12v) is too loud for me. With silent mode, I barely hear any fans and it seems the loudest components are now my hard drives.

My evga 7800Gt kept getting really loud under load, to the point that it became a high pitched whine. temps were generally good, with the copper heatsink, but I couldn't stand the sound. Picked up the zalman VF-700. Now my entire computer is "nearly" silent.

stock on my x700pro ATM, but soon ill be using a maze4, and MAYBE a pelt, depending on my clocks on water.

X1900XT on water (Koolance GPU-180 block), just because I hate noisy fans in my system.

ryuen said:
X1900XT on water (Koolance GPU-180 block), just because I hate noisy fans in my system.
Hey ryuen, I've never seen a rig with water cooling in person, does the pump make any noise? ...I'm assuming, by your post, that its a pretty quiet setup?

the noise made really really depends on the pump, if you get a loud pump, aka D4 or certain other pumps, Via Aqua or Danner Mag3, it will be loud. but if you get an ehiem 1250 or D5 or ddc, then your rig can be pretty damn quiet.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
the noise made really really depends on the pump, if you get a loud pump, aka D4 or certain other pumps, Via Aqua or Danner Mag3, it will be loud. but if you get an ehiem 1250 or D5 or ddc, then your rig can be pretty damn quiet.
Thanks CCUABIDExORxDIE. I'll check out slientpcreview.com to see if they suggest any.

the laing d5, laing ddc and ehiem pumps are DEAD SILENT. and they are great pumps. if you got some money, go for the D5.

oneils said:
Hey ryuen, I've never seen a rig with water cooling in person, does the pump make any noise? ...I'm assuming, by your post, that its a pretty quiet setup?

The pump is nearly silent, as are the (non standard) fans in my EXOS unit, it's a pretty quiet system.. the only computer generated noise that is really noticable are my harddrives.

stock cooling on my x800xt. was thinking about replacing it, but since im upgrading the video card soon, not worth it.

Installed a NV Silencer 5 on my 6800gs today and it alleviated the roaring noise that was the stock cooling. Temp change not as impressive, but at least its quiet.

I have a my old Zalman VF700 on my X1800XT with a 120mm Delta at 7 volt blowing cold air over my zalman, and this barely keeps it with-in limits. This is temp fix and will add W/Cing right before summer when I will need it ;)

This would be a good poll. I'm in the yes category, with a VF700 AlCu on my X800XL.

I have a Zalman V700cu on my X800XL. Stock cooler was just too noisy for me. I don't overclock it and it idles at 41c with the Zalman. My 9800pro wasn't noisy though so I just used the stock cooler on it. Next video card I buy I will specifically buy one that already has a quieter cooler pre-installed.

Had a VF-700CU on my 6800 Ultra. Temps seemed the same but was very quiet. I don't know if it was worth it, but it's gone now.

Naturally, I run STASIS IceStorm aircoolers on my 6600GT/6800GT boards and STASIS Neptune Waterblocks on my newest 7800GTX (SLI) boards. ;)

So few people votes for water, how can you guys stand the noise on a 7800GT or a 1800XT?

My VF-700 is essentially silent, although I don't have to keep a 7800GT/X1800XT Or higher cool, just a lowly X800XL :D

Have an NV silencer on my G6800Ultra because it cools better and is nearly silent as compared to the extremely noisy stock cooler.

Innovatek Graph-O-Matic R3's on both my Radeon X850 XT and 9800 Pro XT.

Back