Empire at War

I'll be getting it tonight assuming it's not all out of stock
biggrin.gif

I was gonna start a thread about it today for opinions, but looks like you beat me to it
smile.gif

Be back around 4:00ish (CST)

Looks like a great game. Played the demo and was impressed. I'll be picking up the full version soon.

Have two copies sitting in the bunker. ;)

Haven't installed yet, but I'll let you guys know what I think.

i liked the demo alot. but im broke and will wait till it drops to $30-$40 bucks. i really like the menu , i just watched the battle for a couple minutes. brings back tie fighter wars memories.

Rich Tate said:
Have two copies sitting in the bunker. ;)

Haven't installed yet, but I'll let you guys know what I think.

Sweet, please do. I havn't been attracted to a RTS in a long long while and EAW actually looks very nice, and the fact its SW themed :) lol.

If anyone has it installed, please share!

Inspired me to pick it up on my lunch break...will give it a spin in a few hours :cool:

I have installed and played with skirmish mode a bit, and I love it.

Basically I'm just trying to take over the galaxy.

Very challenging in terms of resource and troop management.

Bottom line, if you love Star Wars, you'll love this game.

Each side is pretty well balanced.

I have not played any of the campaign or the multiplayer yet. We're going to put it through the ringer this weekend though and we'll let you guys know what we think. :)

But for now, if you are looking for a good RTS that is fun and give you lots of hours of gameplay, pick it up.

If you are a SW geek, why the hell are you still reading this!? You haven't bought it yet!?

Hey Rich, let me know how well the game does in Multiplayer?

I just built a new computer and am thinking about picking this game up if Multiplayer is any good.

I can't wait till March 2nd though - Battle for Middle Earth 2 seems like a must have after playing the demo. (although it didn't support widescreen rezes on my HDTV for some reason)

Also - Supreme Commander - is going to be THE must have RTS game this year. Everything else is just filler until then.

Waiting for it to be delivered form play.com. Enjoyed the demo so hope the full version is as good.

Json23 said:
Hey Rich, let me know how well the game does in Multiplayer?

I just built a new computer and am thinking about picking this game up if Multiplayer is any good.

I can't wait till March 2nd though - Battle for Middle Earth 2 seems like a must have after playing the demo. (although it didn't support widescreen rezes on my HDTV for some reason)

Also - Supreme Commander - is going to be THE must have RTS game this year. Everything else is just filler until then.

Will do bro, that is one of the big things I want to look at. We need a good MP RTS, it has been far to long.

I'm with you on Supreme Commander, really excited for it too.

We need a good MP RTS, it has been far to long.

I agree. The last RTS game worth playing in multiplayer (IMO) was the C&C : Zero Hour expansion.

I recently bought Dawn of War and Winter Assault after rave reviews... it is fun single player. Online play just seems like the player with the most units wins, not much strategy involved at all. Also, I don't like not being able to build anywhere I want. That takes a lot of strategy out of the game.

Rise of Nations - the same. Just whoever comes over with the bigger military wins.

With C&C : Zero Hour there was no promise that you would destroy anything at all even if you had a couple dozen tanks. There are so many ways to counter in that game it makes it fun for me.

If I was playing DoW or RoN, the only way I would win an invasion like that is if I had 3 dozens tanks to the enemies 2 dozen. Not what I call strategy. Although out of the 2, RoN has more strategy options.

I'm installing Empire at War now! I admit I rushed through the installation, but I thought I caught a glimpse of 2500 MB required
eek.gif

Yep, checked the box, that's what it is.

One thing I like so far is that the game comes with both a detailed instruction manual and a pull out quick reference guide that shows tech levels, units, AND even a guide for "If you are attacked by... counter with" for both sides. Westwood was good about this, and EA kinda slacks on it, although they usually provide something. There is also a full (I think) listing of keyboard commands in the game. This should make setting this up for my Speedpad much easier.

Also, Collector's Edition is only $10 more. I opted out of it, so I don't know what it includes, but if you're a SW geek (I'm not), you may want to give it a look.

Yeah im also wondering, what is extra in the Collectors Edition? Im picking this up tomorrow, plus I get a 10 instant gift card for just buying it at my local Best Buy!!

Lazy_Moron said:
Yeah im also wondering, what is extra in the Collectors Edition? Im picking this up tomorrow, plus I get a 10 instant gift card for just buying it at my local Best Buy!!

I got one for each copy purchased as well plus my Reward points. Not a bad deal at all.

Picking it up tomorrow, and then my conquest for the Star Wars galaxy will begin!!!

Basically what I want to do is take over the galaxy. In the demo I saw like 30 planets. Is there just a mode, where you can try to take over the universe, or do you have to follow missions and all that?

The demo was awesome, I can't wait to get my hands on the full game. Hopefully, this will bring back the glorious days of Red Alert 2(And those days were glorious indeed!). I just hope that Westwood haven't lost their touch, as unlikely as that may be.

demo seemed awfully simplistic to me. Pretty, but shallow, ultimately.

Hopefully the full version is better.

OK, been at it since I last posted.

First thing I did was finish up the tutorials that I missed in the demo (the final ones were not included). The last two were sort of boring (non-interactive), but pretty short and informative. So that's good.

Started up a campaign as the Empire. Man this gameplay is SWEET. I love playing with Vader. So far it's playing just like in the demo, cept Vader owns more than anything you got in the Demo. Afterwards it seems the campaign has a general direction, but it's not directly controller how you get there or how soon you do it. Right now I'm attacking a pirate garrison on a planet that doesn't seem necessary, but will increase my income, so why not?

I did see a "Galatic Conquest" mode in Single Player, but have not yet tried it out. I think it'll basically just be your "take all the planets" kind of thing, like an above poster asked.

I haven't tried MP, but judging from the skirmish tutorial videos, it seems this MP is more team focues than the Command and Conquer type games have been, which should be a blast. If anyone start playing MP, let me know your name or whatever so I can hook up with ya when I get online (I'll probably exhaust single-player first)

Json23 said:
Rise of Nations - the same. Just whoever comes over with the bigger military wins.

Actually, it mainly boils down to a few deciding factors... the first person into the gunpowder/industrial era, the first person with nukes, and the first person who gets Artificial Intelligence. There are alot of subtle influences, but these are the main ones that determine who wins.

The infantry units you get from the Gunpowder era are much more powerful than previous eras, and the tanks you get from Industrialization are way better than the cavalry that came before. If you can churn out some early on and have a large enough stockpile of existing units that get upgraded, you can take out just about any lower-age empire.

Two or three well placed nukes usually guarantees victory if you can hit their main unit production facilities or their primary resource gathering areas.

By the time you get Artificial Intelligence (instantly build units,) you should have huge amounts of resources and can pretty much zerg rush any opposing player as soon as you get it.

^^ This applies to the current topic how
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

I'm fairly sure that the Empire is far past the Gunpowder era.

you guys aren't going to see Supreme Commander until 2007.

"... the game is now scheduled for the fourth quarter of its fiscal year 2007 (January through March of 2007). Gas Powered Games' spiritual successor to Total Annihilation, Supreme Commander, was also confirmed for the same quarter. "

Lazy_Moron said:
Basically what I want to do is take over the galaxy. In the demo I saw like 30 planets. Is there just a mode, where you can try to take over the universe, or do you have to follow missions and all that?

Both a story mode and Conquest mode. Conquest is exactly what you want. They give you various maps with upto 40 or so planets.

Rich Tate said:
Both a story mode and Conquest mode. Conquest is exactly what you want. They give you various maps with upto 40 or so planets.

That is what I like to hear. Definetely going straight to Best Buy after school tomorrow.

Installed and went through the tutorial...will try more later

Some options : Sweet graphics

Widescreen mode available

i find scinematic sorta useless and not very exciting unfortunately, but nice to look at.

I guess I am more used to individual units moreso then squad chunks, like Warcraft 3 or starcraft. Seems to me that would make it a whole lot cooler.

Seems like a combo of Battlefront (control reinforcement points), the two sucky RTS games and Star Wars rebellion which I liked alot. When I get deeper into it I'll give an update.

Rather then a more rowdy RTS like War3 or Starcraft it looks to havily favor resource management and troop deployment.

^^Squad chunks as you put it is really the only effective way to make a good onslaught and an effective victory with minimal losses.

I like zerging though, always thought that was the point of an RTS. ;)

What is the diffrence between the Collectors and regular edition?

Rich Tate said:
^^Squad chunks as you put it is really the only effective way to make a good onslaught and an effective victory with minimal losses.

I like zerging though, always thought that was the point of an RTS. ;)

Well, I'll have to play it more...but I agree. Zerging is a strategy, whether you like that strategy or not. It requires you to rush or defend.

Been playing a bit more, here's my update.

Man, I love the campaign mode on this game. SOOOO tactical and widespread. I've had a number of battles where I've been outnumbered 5:1 but I held on by using the right tactics. That happens a lot more in the space battles than the ground battles, but for the most part it's in both. There are many powerful units, but none that I've encoutnered so far that don't have a weakness. The Rebels have been surprising me a lot, attacking in places I haven't fortified (I'm not sure how they got a space fleet to those places...). Definetly a blast, I think Petroglyph did a great job on this one. Can't wait to get in other modes of gameplay.

Get your space station up and upgrade it and install the long range scanner.

Expensive yes, but then you'll have good warning of any attack. ;)

Nasty_Savage said:
Seems like a combo of Battlefront (control reinforcement points), the two sucky RTS games and Star Wars rebellion which I liked alot. When I get deeper into it I'll give an update.

I LOVED Rebellion...spent many happy hours conquering the known galaxy, parading my Star Destroyers around and kicking much Rebel ass.

:D

Why does this game give you widescreen resolution support but doesn't increase field of view when using it? I know it doesn't cause the rebel base in the demo is scretched in widescreen mode compared to regular.

Rich Tate said:
Get your space station up and upgrade it and install the long range scanner.

Expensive yes, but then you'll have good warning of any attack. ;)
Slow down sir! I think I'm on the 2nd or 3rd mission of the Empire campaign. It's hard to tell what mission on I'm really, but my max is Space Station Lvl 2.

joeview said:
Why does this game give you widescreen resolution support but doesn't increase field of view when using it? I know it doesn't cause the rebel base in the demo is scretched in widescreen mode compared to regular.

Thus far, It only puts like a 4 centimeter border on my 2005FPW so I am not certain why its there ;)

quick questions for you guys, does this game have starforce protection on it? I was going to get it, but i heard that LoTR:BoME 2 uses starforce so I am weary that this game does too.

please let me know, thanks

Back